It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Food Prices Are Up 22% and Rising

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
source

Not only will electricity costs go up significantly, perhaps even skyrocket, like he planned all along (nice guy that he is, just looking out for the common man) but food prices will increase even MORE. Food has to travel on refrigerated trucks and sit in electricity- fueled refrigerator cases in the supermarkets.

Is this true?

With the massive rise in inflation, and energy cost what else can we expect to inflate? And all this besides quantative easing.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I just read today that gasoline costs are down, and they were about 65c less a gallon then they were a few months ago here in my town. Bacon is going to be up because of the disease affecting piglets, and I know people in the last few years in Texas ranch country who were selling off (and shooting!) their cattle in the last several years because of sustained 120 degree heat, day after days; you can somewhat get by during a drought with cattle but you can't protect them from dying from heat waves... you can't rebuild the herds that easily, it takes time. And a lot of ranchers probably decided to retire because of it.

The other food prices probably have similar sources including the ability to import food from other places but distance equals money, and the possible 12 month lag in some pricing indexes (food can be stored for a while, in other words).

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I think they want everybody to assume "inflation" is price increases for goods/services.

I think "inflation" is the expansion of the money supply, including credits and debits on debt ledgers not necessarily the currency in circulation.

Don't know.

"Controlled" price increases are an effective way to control a population.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
At the moment costs should be falling with the dollar strong and oil prices low. I can't think of any upwards pressures that would be causing price increases. The future of course is uncertain, maybe the calm before the storm or maybe not.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: john452

Even the price of coffee has gone up drastically recently.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

So too, will chocolate if the Ebola epidemic continues.

I plan on stocking up.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
As far as I am concerned, food prices always rise at this time of the year. I've learned to follow the sales, paper products low in July&Aug, cereals low in Aug, etc. Companies get rid of built up stock supplies then the prices rise. Gas prices will rise again this week too.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

What's the reasoning behind that? Curious. Maybe I should stock up too lol.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
noticed this today and it litterly happened with in the past few days
$5 plus for a gallon of milk
$3.89 for no name white bread
$4.89 for wheat bread ( loaf is now cut in half )
Freaking "King Size " candy 2.00
Gave up smoking in June at 4.50 a pack today 5.10 a pack
gas $4+ and was told it will be going up in a few days becasue of syria ( really or are you just a greedy old fart?! )

I couldn't belive what I was seeing around the store. Suppossibly prices went up
because minimum wadge will go up as in 15 an hr for fast food so wadges go up
prices go up. To fill in for profit loss.
Yet the store has the same employiees for over 2 years wont hire anyone
and the prices took a huge hike the past 2 days ( last time in was saturday night then today )

Makes me sick knowing that the only store in town ( grocery )
is taking advantage of the people here. ( like usual )
A larger one did open here, bought out the smaller one, closed the larger one and
raised the prices of the smaller one. where it was the same for at least a year, year and half.

now to get halfway ok prices I must go 30 mile round trip,
what I save in groceries feels like i just spend in gas

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: john452

Even the price of coffee has gone up drastically recently.

That is because China discovered Starbucks supply to demand...

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
One Phrase...

QE (Quantitative Easing)

What did people think would happen when they printed billions of dollars?
edit on 10/14/2014 by Azdraik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I have to hand it too you OP you are smart person who questions things. Yes inflation is going to cause anyone making under 15 dollars an hour to be screwed in the next couple of years. You will not be able to afford food and housing and will need handouts to survive.

When the cost of food in relation to disposable income reaches 30-40% revolution happens in mass. We are right around 10% and rising fast. The entire economy is a lie. The stock market is a lie. Unemployment numbers are a lie.

I can prove what I am saying look at new car loans. They are pushing 10 year loans and leases because the cost of a new car is so high people can not afford them anymore. If you make under 50 thousand a year you will struggle to survive. This will eventually touch even the higher wage earners when 75% lose everything and have to consolidate with family or friends.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Here in Hawaii things are a lot worse than anything mentioned so far.

Gas: 4.29/gal
Milk: 5.60/gal
Bread: 7 dollars
Cheese: 5 dollars for half a pound

On top of this, 1/5th of the state's population is on Food Stamps, for obvious reasons.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Holiday food items are going to be super expensive because of Ebola. Be prepared.

I personally just eat out now. It's cheaper. When I was a kid, 20 bucks could build you a garden garbage salad that could last 2 weeks. Now, to make a salad for a meal costs 50 bucks. And I'm talking about bare essentials.

Sale Prices of Veggies
Tomatoes: 4.99lb
Cucumber: 1.99lb
Lettuce 2/5.00 or 2.99 a bag
Cabbage Green 1.99lb
Cabbage Red .99lb
Onion 2.99lb or 5.00 a bag
Avocado 2.19 a piece
Garlic 1.99lb

Now take into consideration how big the produce is now, and how heavy stuff weighs.

Even food that was cheap back in the day like sardines and pink salmon are expensive. Welcome to GMO controlled market.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Sale Prices of Veggies Tomatoes: 4.99lb Cucumber: 1.99lb Lettuce 2/5.00 or 2.99 a bag Cabbage Green 1.99lb Cabbage Red .99lb Onion 2.99lb or 5.00 a bag Avocado 2.19 a piece Garlic 1.99lb

and the moral of the story would be grow your own....the price of fresh food is outrageous ....everyone with a yard and a patch of soil should be growing as much of their own food as they can

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Got to love Capitalism. Go capitalism!!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Sale Prices of Veggies Tomatoes: 4.99lb Cucumber: 1.99lb Lettuce 2/5.00 or 2.99 a bag Cabbage Green 1.99lb Cabbage Red .99lb Onion 2.99lb or 5.00 a bag Avocado 2.19 a piece Garlic 1.99lb

and the moral of the story would be grow your own....the price of fresh food is outrageous ....everyone with a yard and a patch of soil should be growing as much of their own food as they can

And what of those people who RENT and don't have a yard and a patch of soil? Getting dirt, plant nutrients, heirloom seeds, and adequate lighting systems in an apartment/house esp. for those in a colder climate is NOT IN THE BUDGET.

What about places like Chicago that salt your earth and pour bleach in your garden if you grow without a FDA license?

Hmmmm.....

Don't forget Senate Bill S-520C.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

And what of those people who RENT and don't have a yard and a patch of soil? Getting dirt, plant nutrients, heirloom seeds, and adequate lighting systems in an apartment/house esp. for those in a colder climate is NOT IN THE BUDGET.

What about places like Chicago that salt your earth and pour bleach in your garden if you grow without a FDA license?

Hmmmm.....

Don't forget Senate Bill S-520C.

it is not a perfect answer....i rent....i have a garden and i use it....i have put a massive amount of work into this place and it is not mine....i will use it as best as i can for as long as i can.....my background is in horticulture so i most likely have an advantage on those that dont.....but it is not difficult and the more you produce yourself the better off you will be....

i live in a tropical climate so i am lucky,...if i did not i would build a greenhouse or a hot house...if i had to i would make it portable...in the long run it would still be cheaper than buying the chemical/cold storage version of fresh fruit and veg sold at the supermarket

as far as the dumb ass rules i keep reading about in the U.S.A well by now i would most likely be in jail for giving my neighbor organic eggs from my chickens....

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Prices of things always dip about this time of year for about a month. That is why the government chose this time of year to equate the cost of living increases for Social Security. Raises are less that way.

Harvests are in and food prices drop temporarily. Don't be thinking the government doesn't know how to manage the numbers to show what they want to show.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azdraik
One Phrase...

QE (Quantitative Easing)

Somebody give that poster a cigar...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join