It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frustrated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Over the past few months, I have been dealing with some of the most frustrating times of my life, though I rarely show it. Partially because I hate pitty, partially because people really dont give a $#%%.

The thing that has been frustrating me the most is school. I have been in college for 5 years, and I still am clueless on what I want to do. To be honest, I came to college for one thing, to play Football. I did that, and absolutely loved it, I don't regret that for one minute. However, I thought I wanted to teach, then I realized, I hate school why would I want to be in a classroom for the rest of my life. So I scrambled around trying to find a new, easy major. Well I came upon Sport Management, thinking to myself "Sweet, a major all about sports, this will be cake." I took the intro classes and whatnot and at the time, I enjoyed it because we talked about topics in sports everyday and it was awesome. Well as the years went by, I began to enjoy it less and less because I realized that it wasn't about sports, it was the business side to sports. I understand that the sports industry is a business, but the thing is, I hate that side. It shows me how negative sports are for society. Don't get me wrong, I will love sports my whole life, but the way society views sports is that if you don't like one team or think another sport is dumb, you are rivals and hate each other. Being an athlete, a lover of a game and an open minded person, this is not the purpose of sports. Sports are suppose to bring out the best in you, teach you how to win and how to deal with losses, work hard and develop relationships that will last forever. Most importantly, Respect. No matter how much i disliked a rival team or player, at the end of the day, when the game was over, win or lose, I got in line and I shook my opponents hand because we know what it takes to play the game, how hard it was to reach this point and knowing that we both played to the best of our abilities. that is what sports are about, and the business side of sport has ruined it.

My problem now is that I am close to graduation, but I need to take a few classes that honestly, Do not interest me at all. Business does not interest me at all. Since I have become more independent, more open minded I have realized that my purpose is to help people, not market to them or sell things to them, help them. I love topics like sociology, Psychology, Philosophy subjects that help me understand people better so that I can do my Best to help them. That is what I am passionate about.

While i thought sport management was awesome, I realized that it is everything I stand against. Now I am in a rough position. It has hit me now that I have made a huge mistake.

This was just a rant, that i needed to get off my chest.

Thanks for listening.

have a wonderful evening.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: solemind4

read the whole thing, dont have much to add.
a cautionary tale indeed, hopefully all will go well.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
What about sports psychology? I'm not surei if that's what it's called but there is an entire industry based on helping pro athletes maximize their performance/potential and part of that is getting the right mindset, psychologically speaking.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
You are just beginning...

You have plenty of time.

Good Luck

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

That is something that I have been thinking about. I am also very passionate about coaching, as I help coach my college team.

thank you

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Take another 6 wks of classes in film production. Join IATSE, learn set etiquette and work on movies or TV.
Good pay and plenty of jobs.

staffmeup.com...

Works for me...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: solemind4

While i thought sport management was awesome, I realized that it is everything I stand against. Now I am in a rough position. It has hit me now that I have made a huge mistake.

Most people spend their entire lives pretending they didn't make the same mistake you did.
Ok
You made a mistake.
Good for you.
Mistakes can be learned from.
You get to deal with it now and enjoy the rest of your life.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I would suggest veering toward the medical side...medicine, nursing, dentistry, there are many related professions.

You would be "helping people" and the pay, when qualified, is generally pretty good.

You sound like a young adult, so what seems like a disaster to you now you will chuckle about in another ten years.

I would avoid sport because you're unlikely to be interested when you hit 30, unless you're very keen...

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Keep your head about you and remember, you have your whole life in front of you..

Do what feels best and most natural and you will be fine..

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Try the NFL. They are currently having serious problems and you may fill a position they are in dire need of, a compassionate person who actually has a lick of sense. They seem to have neither of those qualities. It may a hell of a shot in the dark but hey, maybe you could do some good there as you have football experience. You are a football guy so there's that going for you.

Probably not but one never knows. Try thinking like that about other sports jobs that aren't management, maybe you'll find a niche job you are uniquely qualified for.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
thank you all for the wonderful advice.

More than you would know,

Sole

new topics

top topics

join