It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Fourth Grade Girl, Suspended over Jell-O Shots At School.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
An 8 year old New Orleans school girl was suspended for bringing what appeared to be "jell-o shots" to school. Jell-O shots are little round plastic cups filled with Jell-o which has been mixed with alcohol. It has not yet been determined if the "shots" contained any alcohol. When asked the girl said that her bar-tending mother told her to take them to school and sell them, so that they would have Christmas money.

www.cnn.com
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- An 8-year-old girl was suspended for nine days for bringing to school what appeared to be about 30 "Jell-O shots" -- though it was unclear whether they contained alcohol.

The incident occurred November 29, as the girl stood after classes outside Geraldine Boudreaux Elementary School in Terrytown, a New Orleans suburb. A teacher spotted liquid dripping out of the student's bookbag and found what looked like the small cups of alcohol-laced gelatin that are sold in bars, schools spokesman Jeff Nowakowski said.

The girl told the principal that her mother, who works in a bar, makes alcoholic shots at home and sells them at work. The fourth-grader said her mother had instructed her to take the shots to school and sell them, three for $1, to make some money for Christmas, Nowakowski said.

The mother must also allow school officials to test her daughter's hair for signs of drug use, Nowakowski said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The gelatin has been given to the sheriff's department to be tested for alcohol. Even if the jello did not contain alcohol, the girl will remain suspened for breaking the schools, "look a like" rule.

The "look alike rule" states that students may not possess or distribute anything that looks like it's drugs or alcohol or anything that contains either.

It's bad enough that the mother sent the girl to school with these, doesn't matter that they might not have contained alcohol, but now the little girl has to be tested for drug use. Very sad situation, I hope the little girl isn't using drugs or alcohol.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Sheesh. That's pretty sad.

It's a shame they can't test people for commonsense and parenting skills before they have kids. I hope there's a grandparent who can step in.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
It's a shame they can't test people for commonsense and parenting skills before they have kids.

Sorry to correct Byrd, but I believe the term would be "practical sense".
If it were "common"...everybody would have it.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
If the child was given alcohol to sell at school, then the mother should burn, but to suspend an eight year old child for bringing jello to school is stupidity squared. Just because bars put alcohol in jello molded in small cups doesn't make jello in small cups evil.

[edit on 04/12/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
Sorry to correct Byrd, but I believe the term would be "practical sense".
If it were "common"...everybody would have it.

George Bernard Shaw once said, "Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius."

www.chemistrycoach.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
the little girl has been punished enough. For a eight year old to be put through such an embarrasing situation, with news coverage and all, is more then enough of a lesson for her. Knowing how cruel kids can be, I doubt this will be something that is easily forgotten.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Like an 8 year old would know...

I agree, mom's the one to go after here...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I'm thinking this is just an example of society atm, imagine how bad things would have to be for you to contemplate sending your child to school to sell ANYTHING to bring in christmas money let alone somthing based on an adult concept

df1

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Punish first, investigate later. What is freaking wrong with you people? I'm left trying to figure out whether your stupidity inherited or whether you were struck on the head as a child.

If no alcohol was present, no one should be punished.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The knowledge came from somewhere...and regardless of where it came from...the parents are to blame. At eight years old, it's the parents responsibility to know who the child is around, what she watches, where she goes and what she's doing...plain and simple, poor parenting!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The knowledge came from somewhere...and regardless of where it came from...the parents are to blame. At eight years old, it's the parents responsibility to know who the child is around, what she watches, where she goes and what she's doing...plain and simple, poor parenting!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Poor little girl. She is only eight years old. I don't care even if she did know there was alcohol in it. Her mom sounds very unhealthy to me to begin with! I agree with everyone, she is the one they need to go after, not the poor little girl.

df1

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
plain and simple, poor parenting!

What a crock of manure. You do not know these people well enough to make any judgement as to the mothers parenting skills. Improperly sized jello molds is not a sign of poor parenting...

Our schools and the people that run them are lousy with children and living creatures in general. Those that can do, do. Those can't do, teach. Those that can't do or teach, become educators.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Of course the real reason for the hubbub is a violation of a much more ancient and immutable Law of the Classroom:

Teacher: [Notices girl doing jello shots in class] Did you bring enough for everybody?

Girl: [Looking around nervously] I didn't know there would be so many...

Teacher: [Snatching jello shots from girl's hands] Consider yourself suspended.

Kidding aside, there are clearly more than a few issues here, and I doubt any of them will be resolved to anyone's satisfaction anytime soon.

For what it's worth, I saw much worse than this when I was a kid, which was not exactly recent history, so for those who may think this is some sort of new emerging phenomenon or a sign of a sudden crisis, it isn't.

It will be interesting to see if any followup gets press in this case, as opposed to this all just disappearing down the memory hole without resolution like most novelty stories that hit the national news scene for fifteen minutes.

new topics

top topics

join