It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activist Cornel West arrested at Ferguson protests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

St. Louis (CNN) -- Activist and Princeton University professor Cornel West was among an estimated 10 people arrested at the "Moral Monday" march in Ferguson, Missouri, event organizer Andrew Kling said.

A photo from CNN affiliate KMOV-TV in St. Louis showed police in rain gear arresting West, in a black suit, tie and scarf, and others in what appeared to be a parking lot.

The details of the arrest were not immediately clear, and CNN's calls to the St. Louis County Police Department were not immediately returned.

CNN

The protests continue and Mr West was arrested with a group of 10 other protestors this morning

They were charge with peace disturbance after they refused to disperse. West spoke last night at a church vigil with around 2000 in attendance.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
A peaceful protest. We should charge the police for disturbing the peace because they broke up a peaceful protest of citizens who decided to take time out of their lives to make a stand for people (and many are there for all people, despite what's being said on social networks). Crazy times. Citizens can't even gather anymore. S + F

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

West was among around 15 members of clergy that offered themselves for arrest. They were leading a group of around 200 protestors Marching towards St Louis police headquarters.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

This proves to me religion isn't bad. It's the people in charge. These individuals are not examples of the bad ones in charge.

They're out there risking their lives, their records and all honor to stand up for their fellow human beings. I commend these people for coming out.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
He was arrested because he wanted to be arrested. Photo op publicity stunt. That is all this is.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
What are they protesting ? They bored low on free stuff

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'm all for a peaceful protest, but that looks like a bunch of people in the middle of the street wanting to cause problems.

Go protest, wave your signs, shout from the rooftops, whatever, just use common sense.

Large groups of people in the middle of the street, blocking traffic and refusing to leave when told is asking for problems and not helping your cause.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Tyranny. This incident began when Michael Brown was shot by an officer.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
He was arrested because he wanted to be arrested. Photo op publicity stunt. That is all this is.

Are you willing to be arrested for a cause you believe in?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This is what democracy looks like:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
"They think it's a game, they think it's a joke!"

I feel sorry for al of the local protesters. All of these out of town professional agitators exploiting the situation and playing their games really has turned this into a circus and a joke. West's corny old tactics only go to emphasize what a joke it has turned into.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
"Show me what hypocrisy looks like!" "This is what hypocrisy looks like!"

Thousands of blacks killed by blacks every year but nobody protests.

Unarmed white teen gets shot by black cop but nobody protests.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Honestly, I feel sorry for the people who live in Ferguson/surrounding areas. Most seem to be trying to live their lives, avoid being hassled by the cops and trying their best to not be impacted by the out of town protestors.

Yes, Cornel West may be a tool, that may be true, however I'm glad to see that there are people actually out there, willing to risk everything just to stand up for their fellow human beings.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Obviously you know nothing about the man. He's no Jesse or Al. Deny ignorance is the mantra.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I'm not sure but I doubt it DragonFire.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

That's why we need to go back to being a democratic REPUBLIC. All democracy means is mob rule.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I TOTALLY agree that black Americans should be pissed about black on black crime. Having said that, how many times has a white kid been gunned down by a black cop? How often does that happen? And I'll tell you this, I don't think Mike Brown was some Boy Scout killed by a cop at a jamboree.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: poloblack

Exactly. Both sides are to blame. There's no responsibility, no accountability in today's world.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

No he was arrested because he was exercising his right to protest.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The total arrested so far has gone up:

Arrest total upped to 42 at Ferguson police station on 'Moral Monday,' more events elsewhere

stltoday

Here are a sampling of pics from the protests over the weekend:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join