It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why minimum wage jobs are bad

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

Service industry jobs suck.

No argument there.

If you're unhappy with your job then that's a sign that you are meant for something else, something more. (?)

That should urge you, drive you to succeed in another line of work.

It certainly drove me.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
In my uneducated opinion, the real problem is not the minimum wage. The problem is that the current model of "capitalism" that we live under depends on one very important thing.

Growth.

Corporations and business' are not interested in making a steady profit, year over year, and making a decent fortune while creating well-paying jobs for it's employees.

Everyone want to continue to grow in to a massive success and make oodles of money.

That can only happen for so long until you have to make some concessions. Do they settle for a decent profit and continue to employ American workers at a good wage while producing a quality product?

No.

They find a cheaper workforce (outsourcing), they lower the quality of the products (thanks China) and if they must do business in the US and hire employees, they use the minimum wage as a crutch.

So while I'd like to see everyone at least make $15 an hour, the profit-motive and the greed factor will only drive prices higher to protect their profit margin and overall growth.

A minimum wage will do nothing for the regular people until we address what we consider to be a reasonable profit.

That's going to be very hard to deal with.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomePeople
a reply to: beezzer

Oh, well there are obviously a huge amount of jobs which pay more than minimu...ohhhh wait a minute.

No, there isn't. I guess we just leave the system as it is and people can just keep working their three jobs that don't pay minimum wage but are obviously enough for them to survi.....ohhhhh wait a minute.

No, it isn't!

Gosh - where to from here?

Edit: how is giving people a minimum wage to exist from any of your responsibility unless you're working one of those jobs? I could understand if you were an employer, but if you need staff and can't pay them enough to live on then you are a slave driver and I'm pretty sure that was outlawed some time back.

I think you should take care of them, I figure with the amount of taxes the wife and I pay every year pays for several families that need help through our government system of support.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Who determines reasonable profit?

You?
Me?
The government? *shudder*

Why should any outside entity determine what someone else should make?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Great questions, and I do not have the answer.

If you do some research into the corporate charter system (which you may have done) originally put in place in the US, one of the main tenants was that the corporation had to exist to provide a good or service that benefited the welfare of the people, or it's charter could be pulled.

Not only did the founding fathers wish to break away from King George for religious reasons, they also wanted to get away from the tyrannical banking system and corporate oppression.

I think the case can be made that much of the corporate infrastructure now in place does not provide a good or service that benefits the public good. One reason is the effects it has on the overall economic health of the nation.

We will have to address this eventually, no matter what, and a compromise will have to be made.

Does our government stand with the corporations, or does the government stand with the ideals of a country that was built for the people....by the people?
edit on 10/13/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I agree that corporations have run rough-shod over politicians and the economy.
(how's that for an admission?)

But storming the Bastille is not the answer.

Neither is placing an equally corrupt government in charge of salaries or goods and services.

I don't have the answers.

About the only thing I do know is that when I'm in a public elevator, I will break wind. (It's my thing)

I haven't a clue on anything else.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

About the only thing I do know is that when I'm in a public elevator, I will break wind. (It's my thing)

Yells out to the wife "stay out of elevators with rabbits in them." Carrot flatulence makes my eyes water.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I will accept your admission, but will never join you in the elevator.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

I will accept your admission, but will never join you in the elevator.

Would you be willing to compromise on a slow moving escalator?

Back on topic, none here are actually in a position to solve the problem, but all of us have the oppourtunity to rise above it.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

If you earn enough to pay such exorbitant tax, you must be doing alright for yourself and aren't living under a bridge. First of all - good for you, that's some mighty good work. I must follow that up, though. It's all of our responsibility to care for people that either can't care for themselves, or try to but aren't offered the means to - no matter how hard they might work.

I will never accept that people should be paid millions of dollars as salaries, in developed countries where other's work three jobs to be paid less than what their rent and food costs.

I'm really saddened that some people think it is acceptable.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SomePeople

And I don't want to live in a country where an outside entity gets to determine what someone else can earn!

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

So we keep things as they are - some people earn 50 millions and some people can't eat?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

So we keep things as they are - some people earn 50 millions and some people can't eat?

Well, we know what your solution is.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

What? What is the solution?

Edit: Is it to work 4 jobs instead of three?

edit on 13-10-2014 by SomePeople because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Apologies. I assumed you were for government directed wealth redistribution.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Just got out of work I'll be reading the thread and commenting (maybe). Thanks for the replys.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
SomePeople and Nonspecific, your questions opened up an opportunity to ask my adult child about jobs in their corporation. I was given a real life situation they are going through right now. They need to fill 100 jobs that pay around $32,000 annually, which is their company's lowest tier, and does not require a college education. After weeding through applicants they chose 800 to further test for aptitude and abilities. Only 53 past the test. All the employees are offered further education through tuition vouchers. Only 2% took them up on that benefit. There are still 47 jobs paying a living wage and offering free education that are still open.

Looking at the above I'm inclined to believe many of the living wage jobs are beyond the abilities of the minimum wage earners. If they do not make themselves marketable should Corporate America just throw money at them? How does one encourage them toward growth?

edit on 14-10-2014 by 2gd2btru because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

That graph does indeed say it all. It's not that minimum wage should go up, because you used to be able to make ends meet on minimum wage. The problem is that cost of living continues to rise while wages remain static, and with that, the profits earned by those with all the money in the first place continues to increase. So basically, the ultra rich continue to pay themselves more and more to offset the cost of living which they themselves are inflating, while the lower and middle class bears the burden.

Something similar occurred in France not all that long ago, and the only way they managed to get it under control was with judicious use of the guillotine. I don't foresee the problem having any other solution in our day and age, either. If we look at it logically, what person in a position of wealth and power is simply going to give it up after a stern talking to so that others can have some too? It will never happen.

The only way the world will ever change from it's current course is either a global catastrophe capable of ending civilization as we know it (essentially hitting the reset button), or a bloody and prolonged world wide revolution in which the oligarchs who pull the strings and print the money (and charge the interest) are either imprisoned or hung in the streets. Given our proclivity for complacency and the comforts of western life, I suspect the former scenario is far more likely an outcome, at least in our lifetimes.
edit on 13-10-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

a reply to: MarlinGrace

If you earn enough to pay such exorbitant tax, you must be doing alright for yourself and aren't living under a bridge. First of all - good for you, that's some mighty good work. I must follow that up, though. It's all of our responsibility to care for people that either can't care for themselves, or try to but aren't offered the means to - no matter how hard they might work.

I will never accept that people should be paid millions of dollars as salaries, in developed countries where other's work three jobs to be paid less than what their rent and food costs.

I'm really saddened that some people think it is acceptable.

This has been going on since the dawn of civilization, class separation has been and will always be there. You can't just snap your fingers and it goes away. There are those that are willing to sacrifice for more and there are those that could care less. There are those that money is everything and those that make family everything, most try to find a balance. It isn't easy but millions do it everyday without complaining, whining, or getting into trouble. They are my hero's, the man or woman that get up everyday go to work day in and day out and provide for their family with no excuses. Raise great kids, be a productive part of society, and have a great family life.

There will always be someone making millions and billions, who cares! There will always be people on the street some by choice some by tragedy. There is government help for both. If you take into consideration the amount of government programs available most add up to more per hour than minimum. Look at the way third world countries live and treat their people, go fight for someone starving in a hut, living hand to mouth, without clean water. Work at improving their situation, they need it more than anyone here in the US. People need to be real.

I don't get it, everyone wants to complain about wages and living wages, housing, rents, medical aid. If it is so bad why is everyone trying to get here, instead of leaving by the thousand? Does Mexico or Canada have US refugee camps? They might one day if peoples thinking doesn't change, but for now it is still the best country in the world. If anyone feels it isn't feel free to go to a better place and let us at ATS know how it goes. You might have some followers.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Apologies. I assumed you were for government directed wealth redistribution.

Nope. I'm for people not starving and freezing to death even though they work hard.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join