It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am thinking about heading off to Sierra Leone....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
WELL, think on it for a while and by that time perhaps you will be needed in your own country. It may be that you will not be able to travel back if you decided that it was the wrong choice.

My first thought was that if this is for ego gratification and not a soul wrenching higher calling, don't do it.

ONE mistake by anyone, you or your team or a crazed patient, and it is game over.

I'll tell you, edit your posts here and let that show you how easy it is to make little mistakes. There are no little mistakes in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

Medical professionals make a mistake here it's either a misdiagnosis, a sicker patient or a lawsuit. Make a mistake in the hot zone and no union rep or lawyer will be able to help.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Dear OP,
You are MAD! I admire your willingness to help others, I honestly do. But as much as you want to save lives, you just become another puzzle piece being shuffled around spreading the virus further. Hazmat suits are great and all that, but they need to be removed at some point by someone. Do you trust them to get your gloves of perfectly so as the outer layer doesn't touch your skin? Pfft. How many suits have they removed today?

This virus is a killer, the more that go in to help the more it festers and spreads. Prolonging the lives of the sufferers just gives the virus a vessel to multiply. It is horrible to say, but for the good of humankind - those infected must try their best to survive on their own. *gulp* It is awful to admit that out loud, but trying to keep one alive is infecting 5-10 more and with a virus so deadly it is a battle best fought by letting it burn out on it's own.

So I plead for the sake of your friends and family, you ARE helping by staying back - take solace in that.
edit on 13-10-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
No do not go! You will eventually want to return home, and might bring Ebola home with you. Killing yourself, family members, and others in your country. Isolation is the answer to Africa and it's diseases.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

No. I am not advicing on altruism. I am advising against sheer madness disguised as altruism. Going there, getting sick - and returning - and exposing others to harms way - is NOT altruism.

If you get sick - stay there. That is altruism.

And that I do not advise for.

Some folks get the call...you didn't. His actions could change the course of this plague. Yours won't. Just sayin'

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I didn't bother reading every post, but have to add my cut, redundant or not. Any bleeding heart that goes there and brings the disease back to an uninfected area is irresponsible and guilty as hell. Anybody that goes to that area needs to have a plan where they wait in a neutral area for two incubation periods before they return and nothing less than that. Anybody who goes there, regardless of intentions, who poses any risk whatsoever to an uninfected area is a whore with AIDS.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

If it were me and I had no family I'd go. What is life if not to help each other. It sounds like you want to go and you're fully trained.

These people need help desperately. If you go just please be careful and pray for safekeeping.

We all die in the end, at some point. If you have nothing to lose but your life then I say it's a high calling to go and help.

And on the other hand - the whole adventure thing, yeah.

I am really intrigued and inspired by your wanting to go. I am highly impressed.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

and to top it all off i have to work in horrible heat wearing those horrible suits.

From what I have seen via pictures you may not get one of those "Horrible suits" and if you do you better hope you have an assistant whom is familiar with helping you get out of it without getting contaminated.

If you really want to help your fellow man apply yourself to the entry points in the USA and therefore save many many lives.

Your very kind to even think of going over there, you have me respect times 100, buy please don't be rash as we all here will miss your posts if something goes wrong witch it will in that part of the world.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
That little voice nagging you to go from the back of your mind is your conscience. Listen closely to it. If it's telling you not to go, then don't. If it's telling you to go, then do so. Frankly, I have a great deal of respect for the medical personnel going over there. One, because it takes one hell of a person to think about sick people beyond their own borders that need them. And two, because in the current face of what is essentially wanton public paranoia, these folks have commendable balls of steel. Between domestic spitting & sputtering over ebola, and foreign civil strife & diseases in these countries, it's a lot to juggle and takes a certain mentality to willingly aid people there and do so continuously.

If you're going to go & assist, I'm confident you know it's not going to be a cakewalk. The adventure aspect is what you make of it, not the implied "kittens and rainbows" expectation. It could be the biggest medical adventure of your life in more ways than one, and you'd come back with far more knowledge & understanding than you had before. Best of luck to you, in which ever choice you make

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Make very well sure you realize(family and friends as well) the consequences of it as it can be life or death, and what you'll be dealing with treating the patients.

Two things mentioned already but should take mind of them: Do it without ego or a romanticized idea. Also, explore many videos and articles about experiences there. The PBS Frontline video linked, it really does give insight into what the healthcare workers go through as well as the patients.

Sad truth if you do become infected, can't be helped by your own immune system or if ZMapp is available, your remains likely cannot be returned home. Then there's the consequences of returning home when it is your time if unaffected or seemingly so with contact to spreading it.

If then decided to go, that would give you first hand experience back home to treat patients, if things become worse. Or just stay local, because unfortunately seems like we may all experience it closer and closer to home now internationally.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I thought you were disillusioned with nursing?

If you just want the adventure and it's only for a month, go for it.

Whatever happens, you'll be okay.

In the unlikely event you become infected, you will be flown back to an isolation unit in blighty and given the best medical care.

Like that other British nurse who made a full recovery and wants to go back out there.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Yes please go

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoinif you go stay there. dont come back lol. dont need you coming back infected and screwing us over

edit on 17-10-2014 by ominousrex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ominousrex
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoinif you go stay there. dont come back lol. dont need you coming back infected and screwing us over
...and what sort of plans might you personally have for improving the state of the planet? Yipping is easy, eh?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I wouldn't recommend it. My sister had a chance to go to the Koreas and other places that we we told her she was insane to go to at the time. She didnt and later on got so many opportunities to travel that she didnt even regret not going. I would say that its not a unique opportunity. You will probably do allot of good, but you could also make things worse for yourself or your community. Infections diseases, epidemics are nothing to be anything but rational around.

Just think of whats more important to you. Life experience or life itself.

Also, prepare for when your own community might have need of you. "Saving the planet" is a naive world view to live by.

edit on 10 17 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I admire and respect you for considering this.

Here's the thing: there are SO few people here in the US apparently with ANY first-hand experience or knowledge of the true pathology and cause of this virus.

Knowlege is power and IF You chose to go, you might well be at the forefront of a battle here should these conditions persist and may be of great help in many ways.

I'd MUCH rather hear the facts from someone like yourself than the newly appointed spin-doctor aka Czar who isn't even a medicaal professional.

We are living in crazy times and I believe a few can change the future.

Good luck to you on every level!

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Also, prepare for when your own community might have need of you. "Saving the planet" is a naive world view to live by.

If everyone did that to every 3rd world country in need of medical help, we'd be more screwed than not. Think about if everyone vacated those countries right now. All that would be left is 3rd world folk remedies, most of which don't work. It would run rampant, unabated like a wildfire without people who do know & understand more complex things like viruses versus going with local lore of which plant, animal part, or indigenous ritual may ward something off. Then what happens when these people come into contact with others crossing borders, or crossing borders themselves? You'd let the powder keg grow to mammoth proportions unabated. That's, of course, a worst case scenario, but it takes medical care to help with keeping diseases at bay, not just avoidance. How do you expect that to happen in some of these dirt poor countries? The law of attraction?

"Screw you, I got mine" is the single worst thing to fall back on. It doesn't help eradicate anything, it just prolongs the disease's advance.
edit on 10/17/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Well its not like those countries dont have doctors. Its just that they are working in our countries for better pay and living conditions. I would rather see these countries pick themselves up rather than depend on the mercy and consideration of our countries when ever something happens.

Instead of sending doctors in times of need, why not train their people to become doctors there in times of peace. Why not send teachers and instructional materials when a difference can be made so they can build themselves up?

Its not a "screw you" argument. This is basic epidemiology. My sister studied Epidemiology at Cornell and we have talked about it allot. You limit cross contamination from different populations. Do you know that half of the doctors without borders that went or are in Africa have gotten Ebola and are now being treated in their home countries?

There have already been cross contamination issues. Most cases in our home countries are from people who go to help and end up needing help back home themselves. They then get others sick. If we keep playing with fate, weighing high ideals over common sense, we will have MILLIONS of potential cases at home eventually.

You build up third world countries to take care of themselves. You dont live giving pity for them and endangering your own people. That isnt noble. Its irresponsible.

You also dont run to put a band aid on a gaping mortal wound. You treat the patients you can save. Thats basic triage.

Right now, logic is more noble than naivety. It wont cause near as many lives in the process of giving arbitrary help that isnt really effective. What is being done is just comfort work for already sick people or dialogue with authorities, telling them things they already know. Its not like we are sending a miracle cure over there. Their lives arent worth less than ours, sure. OUR lives arent worth less than theirs either.

edit on 10 17 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Hell no...If Ebola dont get you some 13 year old with a AK will. stay well clear of that neck of the woods.

LOL Are you stuck in the 90's? 13 year olds with AK's... haha

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

As a medical student, my best bet would advise you to not go at least until the current situation gets stabilized. This infection is spreading like wildfire and your safety is a concern. On that note, it is something noble to go down and help infected patients, however, with how Ebola protocols are being ramped up in all of the US major airports, I strongly advise against this. Good luck my friend.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join