It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am thinking about heading off to Sierra Leone....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

also look at it this way....if we don't get it under control it may be coming to you whether you want it to or not...at least this way maybe you can say you part of the group to help control ebola 2014...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

do it...help someone in the process and when you come to the end of your road you can look back at a fulfilled exciting life

Or Fly home and infect us all.

if it doesn't get under control it is going to infect us all anyway...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

another very good point sir!!!

I could very well end up treating people for this over in the UK in a few months or so anyway so either way i could come into contact with it.

At least this way i do it with a bit of adventure.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Speaking as a realist - if you are going to be a Westerner with Ebola, NOW is the time.

Ebola has been introduced to the States so it could only be a matter of time before our hospitals are inundated with patients. Beat the rush and you may have a better chance for survival.

You may be thinking about doing it for less selfish reasons, however I have to be a realist.

Medical tourism can go both ways I imagine..............

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
My first thought is to tell you DON'T GO.

But if you are being compelled to go, despite not wanting to, it may be a higher power calling you. Your true calling, to provide care for people who desperately need it.

I've heard from someone there, who tried to not get emotionally involved, but with children, and many people suffering, dying with no identities, before the bodies are sent to be cremated, they take pictures just in case someone shows up looking for them...

I don't know how anyone (with a kind heart) could possibly prepare for something like that, before even considering the risk of infection.

Good luck with your choice.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I'd say go for it

You have the experience and will to be able to help and you definitely have the heart, this is an area of the world that needs dedicated nurses and doctors minus this epidemic so to those that need medical assistance, you being their will be a godsend.

Mass respect for even considering it and congratulations to your colleague on a brave and bold decision. If you do decide to go please be careful and if possible keep us informed of your work.

I say keep us informed because I'm sure if there was any kind of assistance ATS members could be with lets say sending aid parcels, I'm sure we have members who would be more than willing to help.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

My daughter is a research scientist with a couple of PHD's and works at a hoity toidy globally recognized lab at a major university doing AIDS research. She has been stuck with an infected needle. It's okay, they followed protocol she had to take horrid medication three time a day for six months, that made her terribly sick and she lost a lot of weight, but 3 years later, she is HIV/AIDS free. Unfortunately, there are many others in her lab, as professional as it is, that have also been "stuck" and are also okay.

My point is, accidents happen.

edit on 13-10-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The decision is your to make....but the dangers could not be more emphasised.....
The social structure over there is about to break down.....just a few thousand more cases, and there will ne nothing short of total lawlessness over there......
I know its hard not to want to help....but this is an artificially generated crisis that was engineered to do what its doing.....

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Which is exactly I am so conflicted over this.

Part of me is thinking i should just apply then make up my mind if i get a offer.

but i still dont know.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I am jealous and relieved all at once. It must be wonderful to have knowledge and skills that could really make a difference in this world. The relief that i don't have said skills and knowledge is big though, if i was in your position i too would feel that i had to go and help.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Part of me is thinking i should just apply then make up my mind if i get a offer.

but i still dont know.

Well think about it this way.

If you were infected, you'd probably get flown to the US or UK and receive the BEST medical care possible.

Being a resident and citizen of the crown and all.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It's not an adventure. It's hell on earth.

But up to you. Just know the risks you are taking, that it is your decision, and that this could turn on a dime overnight and you may not be able to come home as easily.

Also know that we may need you here as well.
edit on 10/13/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Nice thoughts....

But, stay home.

Start out with a measles outbreak. Not Ebola.

Get some further Education and help that way.

We don't even know how that nurse got it.

Think very hard...There's no coming back from dead.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

"They" won't take just any medical worker who cares enough to risk their life. We had a friend that has been a combat trained field medic, became one of those nurse practitioners after getting out, not wanting to become a full on M.D. because she had twins. She volunteered her services with THREE different organizations and all of them declined her from going to Africa to help.

Makes you think...why keep help here?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

wow!

I am amazed someone like that got turned down.

puts a big question over if i should apply or not.

thanks for the info.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Or you simply could be torn to pieces by an enraged mob of ignorants.....
Perhaps blown away by some rebel faction....or worse taken hostage....
They are not doing well over there......you cannot imagine how bad it is .....

but i still dont know.

Well think about it this way.

If you were infected, you'd probably get flown to the US or UK and receive the BEST medical care possible.

Being a resident and citizen of the crown and all.

~Tenth

edit on 13-10-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

Or you could be literally torn to pieces by some deranged mob....blown away by some rebel faction or even taken hostage.....
edit on 13-10-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Any thoughts ATS?

I say if you decide to go then you are one good human that I wish we had more of.

Also you could be our ATS roving reporter.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
How about you help people in this country first?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
How about you help people in this country first?

That is my day job....

Thinking about taking a month out to go do it somewhere else for a change

But i do really hope that you take up your own advice.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Already did. I volunteer at soup kitchens around my city

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join