It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am thinking about heading off to Sierra Leone....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
So this might sound a little nuts but stick with me for a minute.

Last week we had a patient on my ward (I'am a nurse) admitted with a high temperature who had recently been to a country affected by ebola.

Don't get too excited turned out to be nothing serious.

But after this one of my colleagues told me that she has applied to head off to Sierra Leone to work at a Red Cross facility treating infected patients.

I went home, done some research, found that i could be quite a desirable candidate then looked into the virus itself and thought "hell no!, I am not taking a chance at catching that"

But i have this annoying little voice in the back of my head that keeps screening at me what a amazing opportunity this would be.

And now a week later I find myself wondering if i should or should not apply to go spend a month surrounded by this deadly virus.

Any thoughts ATS?

edit on 13-10-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If you are qualified and want to go ... then get the training and go. If you are unqualified or can't get the training, then leave it alone, you'll just get in the way of those who can help. If you are a person of prayer ... pray about it and ask for an answer.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I am qualified to go, I have experience in both acute care and some experience in infection control.

edit on 13-10-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Hell no...If Ebola dont get you some 13 year old with a AK will. stay well clear of that neck of the woods.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

you should do it...i have many times gone off on amazing adventures...scared sometimes at first

but the reward you gain from it...even if it is death...will be a life filled with risk, adventure, purpose and meaning.

the only disadvantage you will find is when it is all over...mundane life will become boring...and then you will search for your next adventure. it is addicting.

do it...help someone in the process and when you come to the end of your road you can look back at a fulfilled exciting life
edit on 13-10-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

do it...help someone in the process and when you come to the end of your road you can look back at a fulfilled exciting life

Or Fly home and infect us all.

link   
Personally if I was in your shoes I would be over there like a shot to help my fellow human out.

This is only your decision to make but I bow down in respect and take my hat off to you.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
So this might sound a little nuts but stick with me for a minute.

Last week we had a patient on my ward (I'am a nurse) admitted with a high temperature who had recently been to a country affected by ebola.

Don't get too excited turned out to be nothing serious.

But after this one of my colleagues told me that she has applied to head off to Sierra Leone to work at a Red Cross facility treating infected patients.

I went home, done some research, found that i could be quite a desirable candidate then looked into the virus itself and thought "hell no!, I am not taking a chance at catching that"

But i have this annoying little voice in the back of my head that keeps screening at me what a amazing opportunity this would be.

And now a week later I find myself wondering if i should or should not apply to go spend a month surrounded by this deadly virus.

Any thoughts ATS?

+6 more 
link   
If you go stay there and help don't catch it and come back. This is how it will spread idiots going there trying to help and end up doing more harm than good if they bring it back.

link   

A noble effort and idea!

Give it much thought, and will wish you well on any decision you make.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

So from a interest perspective ,GO AHEAD!

Live reporting, straight from the source, now that would be a wonderful thing lol

BUT, take precautions. I would not do it, only because I know the kind of things that are going on there and how there are NO resources for proper containment.

Then there's the cultural aspect to think about. A lot of Africans view the whole 'white savior' thing with a bit of animosity for a variety of reasons.

Morally? It's the right thing to do if you think you can be of assistance. We all know they need it.

Just please be careful. I would hate to have anything happen to you.

~Tenth

link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

This is exactly it!

Its my scene of adventure that is begging me to go for it

But the rest of me is thinking, I could get killed, I will be away form family and friends for at least a month and to top it all off i have to work in horrible heat wearing those horrible suits.

link   

I have the utmost respect and profound awe of anyone willing to do that.

I watched the Frontline documentary last night and was deeply moved by the dedication and courage of these people.

I'd strongly encourage you to watch it.

The world is very lucky to have such fine human beings among us.

edit on 13-10-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Sounds like a great idea....No wait, sounds like a bad idea....Hmmm tough one.

How about i just say good luck with your decision

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Are you mad at yourself?

I think you should stay here, you will have some time to learn to fight this so you can help us when it gets here. It is only a matter of time before it gets to this country and we will need people to help the sick here.

Spend time researching what works there so when it gets here you can help the people in your own community. If hospitals start getting Ebola patients, other clinics and hospitals will need to be formed for everyday patients.

You are more valuable in your own community. Stay there.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I know 10 people from Liberia & Sierra Leone who have died from Ebola. If you decide to go please be extremely careful. Health care workers are in danger not only from the virus but from the people who live there that are suspicious of foreign health care workers. A growing number of them are hostile to medical personnel and some aid workers have had to flee for their lives.

Hope for the best my friend, but prepare for the worst.
edit on 10/13/2014 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Maybe you can let us know if this is real or not.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Whatever you decide, I am in awe of you for even contemplating it. I have zero useful skills in this regard, would only get in the way and most likely end up accidentally nuking the whole country. If this is your passion, regardless of risk, I say go for it. Either way, you will be in my prayers as well.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
When I have that naggling voice, I tend to listen to it and am regretful when I don't.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
But i have this annoying little voice in the back of my head that keeps screening at me what a amazing opportunity this would be. And now a week later I find myself wondering if i should or should not apply to go spend a month surrounded by this deadly virus.

Sounds like a calling to me, and sometimes you just can't turn that down. It's folks like you that have the wherewithal to affect change in a scenario that urgently requires action, and you would not be asking if you didn't already think so too.

If you figure it's the right thing to do, and you figure that you can handle the associated traumas...then do it. If not...then bone up on what's needed if it takes serious hold on this side of the pond. Kudos to you, either way.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Depending on how things wind up going, you may be just as needed here in the next few months as over there now.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join