It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Christian stereotyping of Islam is at best, ignorant, and more likely hypocritical and bigot

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Lol so you didn't look up the difference. Hilarious. I do not believe either way about God. I admit the strong possibility of God or gods much like I do with aliens but I lack the evidence or knowledge to negate or prove existence. Agnosticism is not believing in no God. That's what atheism is. Agnosticism is admitting that human beings are too foolish to know the real answer. Being agnostic i have no rigid ideology about how things should be done. I believe in worshipping the human spirit, not some scriptures or the science based pseudo prophets. Atheism is just a new religion. Being agnostic is being humble enough to realize there are no easy answers. I'm sorry you can't see the difference.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

The fact that we need this thread is sad. It's so utterly obvious to anyone who has broken free of the propaganda. Christians who commit violence while screaming about the Bible are aberrations. Muslims who commit violence while screaming about the Quran are just acting like every Muslim acts.

Seriously, what I just said (which is the predominant christian view at least in America) is literally the definition of a double standard. One group does it and is fine and the other does the same thing and is evil. It's so sad how people are so brainwashed they can't see it. What's even sadder is that so many people attack us for pointing it out as if we have some pro Muslim or anti Christian agenda. That's weird since I know no Muslims and my entire family is Christian. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm happy, healthy, and loved and respected by those who know me IRL. My only agenda is a wish to extend the chance for happiness, peace, health, and brotherly love to everyone. Apparently wanting to all human beings to live fulfilled lived makes me some kind of monster. That seems pretty reasonable right? I'm freaking terrible for wanting equal rights and freedom for all people. I'm even worse for defending religion even though i have no personal stake. The worst part is how i refuse to justify my very real desire for the world to be a better place without endorsing a particular God. I'm apparently just the worst

PS - if I have to pick a God to avoid being an atheist. I choose Lightsong. That guy is an amazing deity.
edit on 16-10-2014 by tavi45 because: auto correct mistake

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomePeople
How absolutely mean of the west to associate islam with decapitations, intolerance and trying to take over the world - how could they have got such an idea?

While conveniently ignoring the US and West have been invading, couping, assassinating, occupying far more...... Looking in the mirror is hard.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'm with you bud.

originally posted by: tavi45

The fact that we need this thread is sad. It's so utterly obvious to anyone who has broken free of the propaganda. Christians who commit violence while screaming about the Bible are aberrations. Muslims who commit violence while screaming about the Quran are just acting like every Muslim acts.

Seriously, what I just said (which is the predominant christian view at least in America) is literally the definition of a double standard. One group does it and is fine and the other does the same thing and is evil. It's so sad how people are so brainwashed they can't see it. What's even sadder is that so many people attack us for pointing it out as if we have some pro Muslim or anti Christian agenda. That's weird since I know no Muslims and my entire family is Christian. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm happy, healthy, and loved and respected by those who know me IRL. My only agenda is a wish to extend the chance for happiness, peace, health, and brotherly love to everyone. Apparently wanting to all human beings to live fulfilled lived makes me some kind of monster. That seems pretty reasonable right? I'm freaking terrible for wanting equal rights and freedom for all people. I'm even worse for defending religion even though i have no personal stake. The worst part is how i refuse to justify my very real desire for the weekend to be a better piece without endorsing a particular God. I'm apparently just the worst

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SomePeople

You realize your on a thread contemplating ultimately at the root a man's ideaology written in some books who many are following? Who has claimed the angel Gabriel had spoken to him right? Gabriel?

And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be. And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
Luke1

Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.
And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against;(Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed. 2

And within these ultimate things relative to God, lies eternity, one way or the other obviously

Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. Ephesians3

Matthew 18 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. John10

Examine these events. Both men had an unexpected encounter. Paul was confronted by a Being that identified Himself as the Lord Jesus Christ; Muhammad was visited by a spiritual force that claimed to be Gabriel.

Paul was face to face with the God of the people he was persecuting. He saw a light, heard a voice, and suddenly knew whom he was really persecuting. We read that Paul then understood that he experienced a confrontation from God.

Muhammad reacted quite differently.

PEOPLE IN THE BIBLE WHO ENCOUNTERED GOD

Let's further compare Muhammad's experience with Biblical stories of men who had experiences with God.

God spoke from heaven, and the people there heard God speak, "This is my beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased."
answering-islam.org...

again just a few more overwhelmingly prophetic verbatims

Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. John5

Hebrews 12 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.

1 Thessalonians 4 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first

for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. Revelation19

edit on 16-10-2014 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
More than likely, the statement of the OP title, is applicable and interchangable across the board: but in the particular faiths mentioned - one brand of fundie espouses a psychology of directness (generally speaking)...the other takes the passive/agressive approach...the moderates, are well...moderate - and don't swallow either the 'kill for allah' or 'you will burn in hell' approach, as anything resembling a creator of divided and ignorant children would sanction, under any circumstances...

Everything else is highlighting the venn of individual psychologies, and how justification can be found under any rock.

Everyones blood is red, care of an egg and a sperm...brought into the greater 'family' of woman/man...and some families can just not get along for legitimate and illegitimate reasons...so they break apart and spew venom at each other from a distance, or manage the ultimate affront to spirit by taking life away - when it is not theirs to take...That can be acheived directly...or indirectly, thus distancing the act from the rhetoric...

Å99

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Lol so you didn't look up the difference. Hilarious.

Before you make more of a fool of yourself, let me just make it clear that you haven't got the slightest clue as to what you're talking about by quoting a couple of your lines.....

Agnosticism is not believing in no God. That's what atheism is.

Atheism is just a new religion.

Could you link exactly where you got your definitions for Atheist and Agnostic?

I would do the same, every single online/dictionary definition for both of those words (outside of religious propaganda websites) disagrees with you.

I do not believe either way about God.

So you lack the belief in a god/s?....congratulations you're an atheist....

PS - if I have to pick a God to avoid being an atheist. I choose Lightsong. That guy is an amazing deity.

There's not much worse than a self-hating atheist.....

But yeah sure, you're full of brotherly love and happiness.

/hurl
edit on 16-10-2014 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
propaganda? lies? misunderstood?

“The hero of Islam is the one who separated his head from his shoulders.”

The historical Muhammad was in fact an ambitious terrorist, criminal and murderer - whose entire life was based on victimizing innocents and indulging in mindless violence, carnage and massacre. He was a man who destroyed peace wherever he went; and in its place brought terror, rapings, unmerciful butcheries, carnage and death www.bibleprobe.com...

According to Sharia law, murder carries a lesser penalty than "crimes against chastity."

Benevolence and Forgiveness?
Bring her back when the child is two years old." So they brought her back, and Muhammad said, "Take the baby from her and kill her." And that is what they did. Reference: "Islam and Terrorism", Page 203-204

Islam has always been strong on "forced conversions", especially via terror and the sword

Does Islam teach hatred of non-believers?
The actions of Muslims often reflect this hatred for non-believers. Those who kill believe they have a religious mandate to do so. Others celebrate terror attacks, including the mass murder of 9/11, which was cheered by Muslims from Gaza to Europe and (reportedly) even in the halls of the U.S. State Department.www.thereligionofpeace.com...

Can it be true? That Islamic schools in the United States teach hatred towards American Christians and Jews?
www.foxnews.com...

*WARNING EXTREMELY GRAPHIC

Here is a must-read piece from Satya D, a prominent Hindu thinker and activist:

From the advent of Islam, it is the brutality that was used to conquer. Will Durant and other authors have translated Arabs own memoirs on how the Islamic invaders have destroyed cultures and swathes of land with utmost brutality and inhumanity with mountains of Kafir’s heads and rivers of blood.

But what is more important is not who did it, but what drives them to do it.

- See more at: pamelageller.com...

how to behead video?
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

SYRIA Christian man forced to convert to Islam, then gets beheaded anyway WARNING Graphic Images
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

???

Christians/Jesus beheading anyone ever?-
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.google.com...=christians+beheading

???

Revelation 20 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

John 10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am (Jesus) come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Killings for Islam

Islam and Christianity have an interesting contrast. Jesus never killed anyone

Political Islam by Bill Warner tries to count the killings for Islam throughout history.
Center for the Study of Political Islam
This Bill Warner is not to be confused with PI Bill Warner.
Tears of Jihad. He claims that Islam is the greatest killer of all time
markhumphrys.com...

"Having studied both Christianity and Islam extensively, it is both right and necessary to document the genocide of the 270 million people who have died at the hands of Islam. This genocide is a testimony to the efficacy of authentic Islam--which by its own scriptural references is bellicose, misogynistic, racist, intolerant, and imperialistic. Authentic Christianity is the antithesis of these evils, so the violence committed by Christians is outside its orthodoy and they should be condemned as apostate crimes. Let us speak truth about Islam so we can confront it and keep it from stealing our peace, freedom, and our ability to worship (or not worship) as we wish."http://www.politicalislam.com/blog/tears-of-jihad/

Three Murderous Ideologies: Nazism, Communism, and Militant Islam

Militant Islam has far more in common with Nazism and Communism than it does with any genuine religious faith. All three have two common elements: (1) the openly stated intention to rule the entire world and (2) a claim to the right to deport, oppress, re-educate, or exterminate those who do not fit into their regimes. Militant Islam can, despite the lessons of 1939-1945 as well as the Holodomor (genocide by starvation of Ukrainians), China's Cultural Revolution, Stalin's Great Purge, and the killing fields of Cambodia, promote this agenda today by masquerading as a religion, with all the legal and social protections that this implies.

Read more: www.americanthinker.com...
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Daniel Pipes, Founder and Director, Middle East Forum
"The right of Muslims freely to leave Islam is emerging as an international human rights issue of the first order. Why We left Islam: Former Muslims Speak Out both documents and humanizes the tragedy of those born-Muslims who wish to pursue their conscience. The stories are vivid and the political implications profound."

Robert Spencer, Director of Jihad Watch and NY Times bestselling author of "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades)" and "The Truth About Muhammad."
"Powerfully written and deeply compelling, these accounts of people of conscience who left Islam are rendered all the more poignant by the realization that each one of them, no matter their status or situation, lives under the death sentence mandated by the Prophet Muhammad for apostates from Islam. Why We Left Islam should be required reading for human rights activists and all those who value the dignity of the human person, so that they will see why this horrific denial of the freedom of conscience within Islam must be resisted by all people of goodwill."

edit on 16-10-2014 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I think the OP is missing the point here, sure the OP eludes to Bush and all the wars the U.S have been involved with etc etc. What the OP is missing here that it wasn't done in the name of Christianity and to try and elude that it was is clearly wrong.

On the other hand there isn't much Muslims don't do that is not in accordance with the Koran, Sharia, Sunna and biography of Mohammad.

Sure the catholic church has blood on it's hands and there is no denying this, but were they doing it because the new testament told them to? or was it how Jesus acted?. I think not!. Are Muslims actions current and past dictated by what their sciptures tell them to do and do they follow the example of Mohammad?. Well simply yes. Whether a Muslims decides to actually do it or not is the question.

I have no problem in agreeing that that most Mulsims are peacfull. It is the Islamic scriptures and the example of Mohammad that I and the world is dealing with that I have a problem with, as that is the root cause that gives Muslims the authority and justification to act like animals

Now if the New Testament that the Christian faith is founded on tells it's adherants to kill, mame and treat harshly the unbelievers, I would have a huge problem with that as well. The Old testament for Chrsitians is purely an historical account of God's interaction with the Israelites and a guide for prophecy.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: fishwhisperer
Now if the New Testament that the Christian faith is founded on tells it's adherants to kill, mame and treat harshly the unbelievers, I would have a huge problem with that as well. The Old testament for Chrsitians is purely an historical account of God's interaction with the Israelites and a guide for prophecy.

Not all Christians interpret the Old Testament that way, and believe those commandments that say to kill, and treat harshly non believers are still to be obeyed. Thankfully they disobey those ones for the most part. Christians interpret the Bible in a plethora of ways, and some of those interpretations leave the door open for some pretty horrible acts.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

First definition on Google

ag·nos·tic
aɡˈnästik/
noun
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

See that? Neither faith nor disbelief. Atheists say there is no God. Agnostics say "I don't know".

Still keep up with the silly personal attacks. Since you know I'm right about the real subject at hand

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
I am not really down with orthodox religion or fundamentalism in any form anymore, but that includes Judaism and Christianity, not just Islam.

It is one thing for someone to call out the failure of most religions and religious people to be peaceful or meet the claimed mandates of behavior. It is entirely another to single out a religion and pretend that western religion is beyond reproach.

I am not saying that you made the second type of statement. I'm just saying from my perspective.

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

a reply to: babloyi

Dude. You don't see athiests making girls burn alive for not wearing baseball caps. Stop playing around and just get used to the fact that religion is destructive and must be #ing stopped.

How about getting used to the fact that its people not religion that are destructive, people interpretation and actions that destructive.

Seeing as people created religion and run it, you're right. But we can't wipe out humanity - can we? Until a better option comes along, I'll have religion sqaure in my sights.

I don;t understand - I think we agree? It seems as though you might be saying that we don't, but I am confused because it really seems as though we do. CLarify, for me?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
My bad. i think we do.

I am not really down with orthodox religion or fundamentalism in any form anymore, but that includes Judaism and Christianity, not just Islam.

It is one thing for someone to call out the failure of most religions and religious people to be peaceful or meet the claimed mandates of behavior. It is entirely another to single out a religion and pretend that western religion is beyond reproach.

I am not saying that you made the second type of statement. I'm just saying from my perspective.

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

a reply to: babloyi

Dude. You don't see athiests making girls burn alive for not wearing baseball caps. Stop playing around and just get used to the fact that religion is destructive and must be #ing stopped.

How about getting used to the fact that its people not religion that are destructive, people interpretation and actions that destructive.

Seeing as people created religion and run it, you're right. But we can't wipe out humanity - can we? Until a better option comes along, I'll have religion sqaure in my sights.

I don;t understand - I think we agree? It seems as though you might be saying that we don't, but I am confused because it really seems as though we do. CLarify, for me?

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
But that is not entirely true. Bush I believe said he felt called by god to attack Iraq.. Is that not a religious claim? And, most of the Religious Right was all for Bush's wars and torture. Is that not too a problem regarding their beliefs and support of arguably war crimes? It is for me.

Also, you are referring to scripture and as I mentioned problematic Koranic verses.

But orthodox/fundamentalist Christians believe in the Old Testament as being the word of God, that it was correct for its time, and that the genocide in it was okay. Liberal Christians may not believe this, fine.

And, to me, it is fair to call out both Christians and historically Christian-majority countries such as the US or European countries for engaging in war, colonialism, the inquisition, genocide on indigenous peoples, and so on.

What you are trying to do is connect Muslims extremist actions to their religion but then completely divorce Christian extremists from theirs, thereby exonerating Christianity as compared to Islam. I do not claim that the NT tells Christians to commit atrocities, but many fervent Christians have and do.

I think the OP is missing the point here, sure the OP eludes to Bush and all the wars the U.S have been involved with etc etc. What the OP is missing here that it wasn't done in the name of Christianity and to try and elude that it was is clearly wrong.

On the other hand there isn't much Muslims don't do that is not in accordance with the Koran, Sharia, Sunna and biography of Mohammad.

Sure the catholic church has blood on it's hands and there is no denying this, but were they doing it because the new testament told them to? or was it how Jesus acted?. I think not!. Are Muslims actions current and past dictated by what their sciptures tell them to do and do they follow the example of Mohammad?. Well simply yes. Whether a Muslims decides to actually do it or not is the question.

I have no problem in agreeing that that most Mulsims are peacfull. It is the Islamic scriptures and the example of Mohammad that I and the world is dealing with that I have a problem with, as that is the root cause that gives Muslims the authority and justification to act like animals

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

Not all Christians interpret the Old Testament that way, and believe those commandments that say to kill, and treat harshly non believers are still to be obeyed. Thankfully they disobey those ones for the most part. Christians interpret the Bible in a plethora of ways, and some of those interpretations leave the door open for some pretty horrible acts.

Exactly, most orthodox/fundamentalist/evangelicals still believe that the OT is inerrant and they quote Jesus as saying not a letter of the OT is to be disregarded. They do believe that there is a "new covenant," but they still support these genocidal passages.
edit on 17-10-2014 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Bush I believe said he felt called by god to attack Iraq..

There was Rumsfeld's war briefing covers as well.

Exactly, most orthodox/fundamentalist/evangelicals still believe that the OT is inerrant and they quote Jesus as saying not a letter of the OT is to be disregarded. They do believe that there is a "new covenant," but they still support these genocidal passages.

Some will use the "good book" to condemn homosexuals as heathens, but ignore it when it comes time to celebrate Christmas (Saturnalia) and Easter (Ishtar).
edit on 17-10-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Let's not forget good old general boykin.

"The enemy that has come against our nation is a spiritual enemy. His name is Satan. And if you do not believe that Satan is real, you are ignoring the same Bible that tells you about God."

irregulartimes.com...

He said this after labeling us a Judeo Christian nation. Read the article. So why aren't you denouncing him. Guess you agree with him? I mean that's the argument against Muslims right? They dont denounce their fanatics every single time?
edit on 17-10-2014 by tavi45 because: forgot a link

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

See that? Neither faith nor disbelief.

You either accept the claims made by theists for a god or you don't, you either believe in god or you don't as it's a binary question.

There's no inbetween, by saying 'I don't know' you're not accepting the claims made by theists making you an.....atheist.

Atheists reject the claims made by theorists, no more no less. Theres no claim to knowledge as you keep insisting.

Atheists say there is no God.

Wrong look it up!.

Agnostics say "I don't know".

Indeed they do, they don't says 'Yes' do they? they don't accept the claims made by theists making them............that's right.....Atheists!

Still keep up with the silly personal attacks.

Hilarious!

Nothing but love here brother.....

Since you know I'm right about the real subject at hand

You're an agnostic atheist, just like me.

Get over it

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Hey, I've got an interesting idea. Why don't you go over to the thread where the OP gets mad at Christians posting bible quotes on a conspiracy forum..... don't forget to tell them you hate Christianity and that's why you are spewing as many scriptures as you can.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Bush is a member of Skull and Bones, a secret order which has an agenda of dominating the whole world through nefarious means, and you believe him to be a real Christian.....

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join