It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War on Drugs overseas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
My buddy who's serving in afghanistan recent sent me an email. His mission over there right now is to calm civilian uprisings after their drugs are destroyed. Apparently, we discovered some large marijuana fields, and completely burned them and the houses around them (including a few where people lived). This greatly upsets me. Our soldiers should not be imposing "american values" on another nation. Next their going to start building churches. They should be looking for Osama, or flushing out the taliban. Marijuana is one of arghanistan's important sources of income. They aren't blessed with the many fruitful resources we have here. All we're doing is making a poor country poorer.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Barcs,

The same ground they are growing marijuana and heroin can also grow crops such as corn, wheat, and many other productive crops. So your arguement is flawed. I agree with you in principal, but the actual subject is dissagreeable. You can make a very strong case that a % of those crops are destined for the US where is does us harm. That does wonders for juristiction.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I don't see how the marijuana fields having crops besides marijuana has anything to do with it. Maybe you could explain to me how that flaws my argument. Either way it all gets destroyed. It's possible that some of it could be for the US, but there is no proof of this. I've never heard of weed from afghanistan here, and i've been smokin the stuff for years. Usually it comes from canada, mexico, within the country, and sometimes europe(although it's rare).

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
They can grow anything in the same soil. Even LEGAL crops. You mentioned using the marijuana to support themselves. Well why not grow les contravercial crops that they can eat or use directly or sell as a legitimate product?

I know you are an advocate of marijuana it seems, but most arent.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Oh, I see what you're saying now. But the thing is, Marijuana is a LEGAL crop over there. Living in such a poor, war ridden country I can imagine why most people would like to smoke and get a way from it all. But, Mr. World Police can't have that! Marijuana is "bad for you".
And they do grow other "less contraversial" crops. I bet they make a lot more money off of weed than regular crops.

join