It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woolworths apologises for inadvertently stocking singlet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

National supermarket chain Woolworths has apologised for "inadvertently" stocking a singlet which says "if you don't love it, leave" alongside a picture of the Australian flag in two of its stores.

A photo of the singlet has gone viral on social media since it was posted on Sunday afternoon on Twitter by Canberra man George Craig.

The 29-year-old was in the Queensland town of Cairnson an end-of-season fishing trip with his football team when he spotted the offending item in the Woolworths store on Spence Street.

"I was with a bunch of blokes on a footy trip, not one thought it was appropriate," Mr Craig told the ABC.

"We were genuinely shocked, not just that the sentiment still exists, but that such a huge company with huge reach across a diversity of communities would stock the product."

Dozens of people took to Woolworths' Facebook account to criticise the supermarket giant over the singlet, with many labelling it racist.

Link

If you don't feel like reading the article, basically a huge supermarket chain in Australia has been accused of xenophobia and racism for having a singlet that carries the words "If you don't love it, leave" with a picture of the Australian flag.

Do you think the backlash is warranted, or is this a case of social justice warriors (SJWs) seeking to find offence at the drop of a hat?

edit on 13/10/2014 by Dark Ghost because: forgot link

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I will have to go to Woolies tomorrow and see if I can buy a few. Love to wear it.

I agree with it's sentiments entirely.

I can never understand the mindset of come to Australia, take the oath to the country and then start demanding Sharia Law. It is just so silly.

P

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

If the shirt had said "If you don't love it, then vote for the change you want to see, rather than voting for the party your mother did, your father did, your grandparents did...." then there would be no sense that the message of the shirt was anything other than inclusive.

However, the shirts slogan appears to be one which gives the impression that the designer, and indeed anyone who wants to wear the slogan, is of the opinion that if one wishes to change things about their lives in the country, then they are "gonna hafta get the HELL outta my country".

That is some xenophobic crap right there, not only xenophobic, but anti-democracy, which is nearly as bad if you ask me, especially in a nation which supports the War on Terror. Not very on message is it?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Are you saying that you believe that everyone who is Christian or Atheist, and a Nth generation Australian, is happy with the way their government is run, and are often ashamed to be associated with the absolute balls that is the Australian government? Do you think that aboriginal peoples in Australia should love it or leave it?

You do realise that there are more people who might be sick to the back teeth of the Australian government than merely insular groups of religious fanatics, right?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Whilst I agree that this is an inappropriate singlet. The complaint against it is that it's racist, when in fact the opposite is true. This singlet is actually anti-Racist, telling those who're racist towards Australia and Australians to leave.

The PC crowd wins again.

If you're against a People or a Nation, leave.
edit on 13/10/1414 by Emerald53 because: spelling

edit on 13/10/1414 by Emerald53 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
What has become of society, really?
What do you guys think has pushed us to such an extent that any statement is now considered offensive/divisive, or whatever.
it's a shirt with a simple slogan on it.
Don't we all say similar things on different topics?
Don't like/ love your job? leave it.
don't like/love your partner? leave them.
the list could go on and on.
How is this offensive? or damaging? If feels like just another step towards the "nanny state"or nanny globe at this point.
and maybe THAT is the conspiracy. weaken our spirit, our ability to "man up". that's how they probably plan on controlling us...by making us emotionally handicapped.
We used to have a backbone. now we cry the moment something is vaguely controversial,
If it's because of 9/11 or the "feminization" phenomena, the police state, because they removed dodge-ball from schools...i don't know.
All i know is that we are being made weak, a little more, each passing day.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

It sounds like those 'blokes playing footy' are a bunch of easily-offended panty waists. You know, the types that fall down and grab their shins and hope for a whistle when a gust of wind blows.

edit on 13-10-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: pheonix358

Are you saying that you believe that everyone who is Christian or Atheist, and a Nth generation Australian, is happy with the way their government is run, and are often ashamed to be associated with the absolute balls that is the Australian government? Do you think that aboriginal peoples in Australia should love it or leave it?

You do realise that there are more people who might be sick to the back teeth of the Australian government than merely insular groups of religious fanatics, right?

No, while you are taking the words literally, I am taking them as an Australian and as such I understand the sentiment it is expressing.

It would be the same as if you said

God save the Queen

and I replied

Why, is she sick.

P

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

That's fairly tame compared to these (use your imagination, these are toned down)...

I think that the average Aussie is fairly tolerant - we believe in giving the underdog a "fair go".

If, on the other hand, you come to live here and start crap like telling our girls they are sluts and to stop wearing bikinis on the beach and abusing and bashing them, then the gloves are off and there will be blood.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Oh dear God... If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Who the hell cares? Is there not enough shiite to stir elsewhere that one has just continuously search for things to get offended by? The faux outrage is hilarious and ridiculous at the same time.

There has never been a time in my 37 years that I have ever seen something being sold in a store and thought to myself... OMG!!! I'm going straight home and I'm going to figure out how to get this product removed so NOBODY can buy it because I am just that offended by it. NEVER.

What I would do if I was offended enough (it's hard for me to get that upset over most things) was not buy it. And if I was REALLY, SERIOUSLY offended/disgusted I would just take my business elsewhere. End of story. That's what normal people used to so. Now it has become trendy to deny others ownership of anything that one other person may be offended by and not want to buy. I'm offended by people in biker shorts and banana hammocks... Yet here we are.

People need to find a hobby. Maybe take some courses in "Get Over It 101"...
edit on 10/13/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
However, the shirts slogan appears to be one which gives the impression that the designer, and indeed anyone who wants to wear the slogan, is of the opinion that if one wishes to change things about their lives in the country, then they are "gonna hafta get the HELL outta my country".

You can still hate the Government but love the country. I'm not a fan of the current Government (or the previous one) but I still like and respect Australian values and culture.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Love it or leave it goes hand in hand with other National Pride slogans like, My country right or wrong.

"Right or wrong" and leave if you don't like it are fostered by those in control that don't want you to question anything, just go along or get the hell out.

Always question authority.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Even if you do choose to read it with a xenophobic tone such as yourself (your type of opinion is where the "complaint" probably came from), why do we care if someone wears something offensive?

The world is getting way too PC.

I think the message is harmless, and fits with the easy going humour and culture of Australia... basically, it says the land down under is the best place in the world, and if you don't love it for what it is, including its easy going nature, then get lost.

I don't read anything racist or xenophobic in there... no mention of colour, no mention of ideaologies... I read it as pride for an awesome country... you're the one with the internal hangups that chose to apply race where there was none present.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, a bloke on a fishing trip with his footy mates 150kms away from home (Canberra) - who happened to become offended somewhere in the mens Shirts section of one of only 2 Wollies who stocked the thing and now you and I are discussing it - someone must be pushing a message downunder.

If this bloke was my mate and bitched about this, he would forevermore be known as the girls blouse and would have to buy all the rounds at the pub - forever.

Whilst I'm on about Canberra, it is also home to the largest mental institution in the land - Parliament House.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

All governments are the absolute balls... Australia is nothing special in that department.

Why do you choose to attach government, racial issues and idealogies to a simple slogan (which made no mention of such things) and the Australian flag?

My first thought when I saw the slogan (more than 20 years ago... this slogan has been around a long time... why the problem all of a sudden?) was about lying in the sun, blue skies and swimming at the beach... and yes... if you don't love Australia, maybe you should go somewhere where there's grey skys, cold weather and maybe bombs.

I get it, and choose to take it at face value... with a good helping of Aussie humour.

;-j

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I find it bizarre how everyone needs to be pissed off about something these days. Or more to the point, how they need to share their self-perceived righteous indignation with everyone else.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I know in today's value driven corporate world companies have to protect their "image"... blaghhh... but if I had people spoiling to be offended and complaing to me about such a harmless slogan, my public response would be:

Why don't you take a deep look at yourself... and get over it!

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You can thank SJWs and their feelings of entitlement to hijack social media and vent their moral outrage on everyone else.
edit on 13/10/2014 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: puzzlesphere
Why don't you take a deep look at yourself... and get over it!

Here is my question; if you do not love 'it' (Australia or wherever the hell you find yourself), why the eff would you want to stay anyway?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
You can thank SJWs...

Help me out with this one, what does that mean?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join