It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible Quotes meaning?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Matthew 5;13
"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

Job38:31
"Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades? Can you loosen Orion's belt?

salt never looses its saltyness?
so there is a god and he created the Pleiadians?

these quotes have always flummoxed me?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: meremortal

Matthew 5;13
"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

salt never looses its saltyness?
so there is a god and he created the Pleiadians?

these quotes have always flummoxed me?

Re. first quote from Matthew:

I live in the deep south, Gulf Coast region. Humidity here is a beast. Everything gets damp. We don't use a/c in our home, so almost anything made of natural fibers tends to grow mildew in the summer.

Salt is hydrophilic. It absorbs moisture from the air, and can get totally ruined. If allowed to sit too long in our house in an unsealed container, it becomes a big, wet, gloopy mess. It looses its saltiness - that is, it is no longer useful for the purpose for which it was intended. It has to be thrown out. We must guard the gifts and callings that we've been given so that they remain effective.

Re. second quote from Job:

This is poetic language. The constellations are anthropomorpized here, given characteristics of people, able to be bound with chains and wear a belt. It is a poetic analogy, a picture.

Much of the Bible is written in poetic language. I believe that the poetry points to spiritual truths, and must be interpreted in the light of the rest of scripture. I read these verses and interpret them in the light of what the Bible teaches about God as creator and sovereign.

Hope that helps.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: meremortal

The first one refers to believers as seasoning the earth before mankind as one would season a dish. Believers are likened to the salt that makes a dish worth eating, but if believers/church lose their faith or purpose, then they are warned that they "lose their flavor" or they are then good for nothing and will be cast out and trampled like bad salt.

When you consider that the church is often called the fruits of the harvest or otherwise referred to in metaphors that of ripeness and fullness, then referring to believers as the spice or seasoning that brings the dish to full completion for the table is about par for the course.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
thank you guys
the saltiness now i get
i have lost my faith so i will be cast out? where i work the salt also gets wet but it is still salty!

and for the star constellations, i took it that they were created just like us?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I did some research on this recently and found a couple of good resources:

There once was an old saying, “All Roads Lead to Rome.” Well, that’s passé. That was then, this is now. If you Google the word, “Sirius”, one realizes that this is a very objective term. People have used this name for many reasons, but the main reason is the terminology which originated from the constellation Orion.
We have Sirius Satellite Radio, Sirius Sound, Sirius Telecom, Sirius Computer Solutions, Sirius Dog Training, Sirius Sunlight Glass Studio, and the list goes on and on. Seriously. Why does this name ring so true for everyone?

ALL ROADS LEAD TO SIRIUS, SERIOUSLY!

He told us that astronomers had studied the constellation Orion with powerful telescopes. What they saw there was a “hole in the sky.” That in itself was startling. But as they looked deeper into that hole, they saw bright lights and the dim outline of a fantastic scene, with colors and movement. The implication (he may have said it straight out) was that one could almost, but not quite, see into heaven and make out the Holy City.

spectrummagazine.org...

God perplexes Job with the question… “Can you loose the bands of Orion?” This Bible riddle has likewise Orion Logo Signs Of Heaven perplexed theologians down through the ages, but now has been revealed to those of us living at the end of time.

Now this winter night’s tale in the Heavens reveals the ancient Bible riddle from the Book of Job. While Job, no doubt, knew of Orion, he probably didn’t know that the answer to this riddle was written in the Stars.

ANCIENT RIDDLE NOW REVEALED

The Babylonians describe Orion as a Constellation and a “Supreme Being”. Orion is referred to as the “The Loyal Shepherd of Heaven” and “The Chief God of Heavenly Realms”. Early depictions of Orion are in ancient stone carvings which are in the form of an Eagle. This eagle was found behind these Cuneiforms and some believe he was a messenger who heralded messages for these sky gods.

Celestial & Earthly Religious Destinations PT 1 of 3

Recent ATS thread on this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 12-10-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

No, I think if you regain it, you will be fine. Christ was addressing his disciples in that passage. I think he was more referring to the body of believers as a whole. Think about churches that fall off the course and teach false doctrine for example. If the teachers are teaching the wrong thing, then the whole "dish" will be spoiled.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Pleiades is the name of a group of stars.
And Orion's belt is the name of a group of stars in the middle of the constellation of Orion.
If there is a God who brought the universe into existence, that would include the stars (and presumably their inhabitants).

"Losing saltiness" has always been a puzzle.
My commentator (R.T. France) suggests that impure salt dug from the shores of the Dead Sea would lose its "saltiness" if the genuine sodium chloride dissolved away, leaving other minerals.
He adds "In any case, Jesus was not teaching chemistry but using a proverbial image...The Rabbis commonly used salt as an image for wisdom".

edit on 12-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: meremortal
thank you guys
the saltiness now i get
i have lost my faith so i will be cast out? where i work the salt also gets wet but it is still salty!

and for the star constellations, i took it that they were created just like us?

I think of this verse in relations to Paul's admonitions to Timothy to guard the deposit that he had been given (I Tim 6:20; II Tim 1:14). Not so much about a threat of being cast out if one loses one's faith, but just a reminder that Jesus' disciciples have a specific calling and purpose (to be witnesses of the Kingdom of Heaven), and that we must carefully guard our gift - our lives, our testimony, the work and presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives both individually and corporately, to be sure that we are able to do that for which we are intended.

And, yes, the constellations are created just as we are. We, they, all things are part of God's creation, and all things in that creation point to him and are for his glory. Those constellations are, in this instance, used to describe a particular aspect of God's glory - namely that those things are greater than we are in scope and size and that God is even greater than they are.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I was told, a very long time ago, that the reference to salt in this verse came from the fact that, in the time the reference was made, they would place a trench filled with salt around a fire to absorb and preserve the heat. This would last for a while until the salt would go through its normal heating and cooling cycle changing to whatever it is that salt changes to going through this process. When the salt was all used up it was thrown out into the street as waste and new, fresh salt replaced it. But since salt has a melting point of around 1474 degrees Fahrenheit that would have to be one heckuva fire so perhaps it was of a more industrial nature in that application.

As far as the other verse goes there's a reference running around my head of someone, a queen maybe, making reference to being indebted to people in some planet in some constellation but I can't find it right now. I thought it came from the book "Shocked By The Bible" by Joe Kovacs but I didn't see it just now. If I run across it I'll post the reference in your thread here.

If you REALLY want to have your mind blown over some early Torah/Biblical verses and books go to The Chronicle Project and read what this group has found out about ancient Hebrew. It's a self-correcting language so what's written can't be changed or misinterpreted otherwise it doesn't make sense. It's all extremely interesting.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Salt preserves things, preventing them from decaying and also adds flavor. The salt of the earth is that which keeps the earth from falling into decay and makes it savory to the sensations of God.

That section of Job is God questioning Job's arrogance and presumption. He is asking him if he has the power to alter the astronomical relationship of stars in the sky. It could be allegorical for other things, but that is its most surface meaning.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Matthew 5:13-16...

What you have in these very simple four verses is the picture that our Lord gives of the Christian in the world, the function of the believer in the world. If I could reduce it to one word, it would be the word 'influence.' Our Lord is saying that the Christian who lives according to the Beatitudes is going to influence the world as salt and light. In all that a person does and is (or is not), the sum total of our character, consciously or otherwise, affects other people. Philosophers have put it this way: "No man is an island."

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
yes but i have come to the conclusion that we have no way out, we are slaves and religions were designed to conquer and divide us! like santa for the kids etc

yes we have souls but they are ear marked by the anunaki

if there was a Jesus, he said "ye are all gods and ye don't know it!"

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

You let Zechariah Sitchin walk around inside your head, and he left muddy bootprints everywhere?! I think your worldview is admirable in many of its features. Just take a step back a bit further to gain some perspective. The same beliefs that form religions can be spun up by any narrative, especially the kind of narrative that is highly speculative like the kind Sitchin has crafted. He is simply remodeling old myths through the lens of modern technology.

What if these being aren't even part of this physical universe? What if they are extradimensional? What if they say they saw cities floating in the sky because they didn't really understand what they were actually seeing? This is just one possible alternative explanation, even if you do take their assertions seriously. The simple fact is that we cannot know for sure. What understandings give you greater freedom in this lifetime? What understandings empower you to achieve your goals? What understandings liberate you from the prison of false belief? For me, these are the only questions that really matter. Everything else is just another wisp of smoke in my field of vision as I discover who I am going to become.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

This verse in Matthew...

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot." - Matthew 5:13

has a parallel in Mark...

"Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another." - Mark 9:50

Keep the salt within you with saltiness. Don't let it lose its saltiness. Be at peace with one another.
edit on 12-10-2014 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

If I'm not mistaken, those two star clusters are one of the few known that are actually chained/connected through gravitational forces. Did they know that back in Jobs days? Scientifically, It's a pretty accurate piece of scripture. Chuck Missler did an excellent study on it during the Genesis seminars. Everything in the bible has hidden layers, the more we progress in knowledge, the more we can find. It proves God's authenticity. He made it written thousands of years ago, and today we see that lots of passages are not just metaphorical, but also scientifically accurate.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Job hated Marshmallows. That's the answer.

Matthew 5;13

For any verse, take out the key words and check the lexicon: Salt, Saltiness, Thrown, Trampled Underfoot.

The first word on the root is SEASON. The same root makes SALT - Season with salt (also a preservative).

Related Words on the same root: Disappear, as in disappears in water. Mariner, or one who sails the seas of salt, or disappears for a time in the water and salt. Rag, or an old or rotten rag, like the body worn from wearing the soul. Salty land is barren, or without water. Mallow, as in the Marsh Mallow (Egyptians made them from the Mallow plant). Mallow is a growing around a salt marsh. They are life growing from water and salt.

Job said this about he Mallow:

5 Does a wild donkey bray when it has grass,
or an ox bellow when it has fodder?
6 Is tasteless food eaten without salt,
or is there flavor in the sap of the mallow?
7 I refuse to touch it;
such food makes me ill.

At first, you may not see the connection to the Marsh Mallow flower. Job was being crushed. Salt adds flavor, but his life at this moment was without flavor from the terrors of what had just happened to him. The donkey is the key to this. Job was sullied. What does the word mean? Sullied is like food gone bad. He was literally rotten flesh, or a rag worn out from the ordeal he had been through. His clothes were torn and in ashes because of his torment. This was a common thing to put on the clothing of the poor (sackcloth) and sit in the ashes of the fire. Symbolism here is of a trial that reduces something to ashes.

You left a part out of the Matthew verse set.

Matthew 5

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Salt is one of the three primary substances (Salt, Sulfur, Mercury) used in Alchemy to refine the subtle from the gross. A pure salt crystal has a unique transparent property that can receive light. A sullied salt crystal contains the gross elements of matter. As the verse says, “YOU are the salt of the earth.” By this, it is implied that you are the subtle that receives the light. ”YOU are the light of the world.” By this, it is implied that you are the light that cannot be hidden. Let your light shine. The photorefractive effect of crystals retains information and is used for holographic data storage. Pure salt is not sullied. What does it mean to be sullied by the sins of the world, losing your ability to retain what has been gathered in the fields. Seed is an ear, or what must open in soil. The heart is the soil. Move the letter Hey to the end of Heart and get EartH. See this thread on Hidden Truths of Babel

This was God's answer to Job about questioning the suffering he was experiencing. Pleiades is a grouping of 500 or more stars that are what is referred to as a bound cluster. This is not something Job, or anyone at the time could have known. Here is an interesting note on this with footnotes: LINK

Orion's belt is constantly expanding outwards. Again, not something they would have been able to know. This is simply a demonstration of knowledge beyond the obvious nature of what is seen. Each of these are examples of loosing and binding, or what Matthew 18 calls our entanglement (child) to the Angel above.

A Thread on the topic...

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I realized I left a part out.

International Standard Bible Encyclopedia:
“As salt was regarded as a necessary ingredient of the daily food, and so of all sacrifices offered to Yahweh (Leviticus 2:13), it became an easy step to the very close connection between salt and covenant-making. When men ate together they became friends. Compare the Arabic expression, “There is salt between us”; “He has eaten of my salt,” which means partaking of hospitality which cemented friendship; compare “eat the salt of the palace” (Ezra 4:14). Covenants were generally confirmed by sacrificial meals and salt was always present. Since, too, salt is a preservative, it would easily become symbolic of an enduring covenant. So offerings to Yahweh were to be by a statute forever, “a covenant of salt for ever before Yahweh” (Numbers 18:19). David received his kingdom forever from Yahweh by a “covenant of salt” (2 Chronicles 13:5). In the light of these conceptions the remark of our Lord becomes the more significant: “Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace one with another” (Mark 9:50).”

edit on 12-10-2014 by AlephBet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I hear you. "Religion", from the beginning of the Catholic Church, HAS been designed with "control of the masses" in mind. Nothing short of that and not that they were the first to implement it. The Roman Catholic Church is the last vestige of the Roman Empire and Protestantism is just an offshoot of that. It took flawed information and, over time, hid the true meanings conveyed in the oldest manuscripts in even deeper fluff than Catholicism did. Over time tradition has buried or all but erased every vestige of truth that Jesus, Yeshua, tried to convey to us. If our common knowledge was what Jesus knew for fact "church" would be a powerful entity throughout the World rather than the cowering refuge of superstition. The secrets hidden in the Vatican library could break their power over everyone and they know it.

One thing you can do for yourself if you feel loss for any previous sense of "religion" is not give up on your reading of the Bible. KNOW it, and as many other Apocryphal books such as Enoch, as well as you can if only for your own personal mental reference when noodling through a point of religion or spirituality. Jesus had plenty of emotions but He did not eschew the logical side of His mind. He could hold His own with the most educated of His time.

What age are you, by the way? This tells us here on ATS a lot about your situation. I'm 57 and I've walked the path you're on. I've read Edward Cayce's biography "There Is A River" by Sugru and it certainly got my attention that something is not right in the pithy overly simplified pap that they hand out in the churches since I was a kid.

Your paraphrase of Jesus' above in your last post is pretty much accurate, in my view, and it is something that I see in the Torah and the Christian Old Testament. It is an account of God's invitation to Man to begin the long journey and step out of the rough, rugged Neolithic wilderness He made us in, draw ourselves up and create an intelligent civilization on this planet worthy of a place of note in His Universe. Things went wrong, somehow, back in Eden, though, and the story takes off in any one of several directions after that depending on what account you adhere to. The website I referenced above has a particularly interesting discovery of what actually happened between the Annukai and The Creator, Yahweh Elohim.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Salt is a preservative, but if too much outside moisture is introduced, the salt loses its effectiveness. Believers in Christ are the preservative of the earth, but if we ingest false worldly doctrines, we lose our ability to preserve our family, friends, work place, city, nation, and eventually the world. More chaos in the world means more believers losing salinity.

Who can bind the Plaiedian stars in their orbit, or loosen Orion's belt? The creator of the universe can. The verse is speaking of God's arangement of the stars.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
It's really late where I live now, so I'm only going to say this (maybe later I answer your other questions):
that was supposed to be a proof for God's existence, that He knew Pleiades existed before man, in biblical times. It doesn't mean Pleideans exist.
edit on 14-10-2014 by Emma3 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join