It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impressive Mosaic Uncovered at Amphipolis Tomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Excavations of the mysterious Amphipolis burial mound/tomb have yielded some impressive finds, not least of which where the Caryatids announced last month. The latest find from the site is a largely intact mosaic floor. From The Archaeology News Network:

The mosaic, 3 metres (10 feet) long and 4.5 metres (15 feet) wide, depicts a horseman with a laurel wreath driving a chariot drawn by two horses and preceded by the god Hermes. According to the ministry of culture announcement made Sunday, Hermes is depicted here as the conductor of souls to the afterlife.

The circular portion in the center has been destroyed but reports are that enough of the tiles were located to reconstruct it to some degree. Beautiful artwork from the 4th century BC!

edit on 2014-10-12 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
That's so cool. I have an Art History class and it really has made me think about how amazing our ancestor's were. I couldn't make anything like that even with today's technology.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I hope they are able to do a decent job reconstructing that circular area. It is such a shame when such pieces of artistic history is ruined.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

There have been some spectacular treasures found in this tomb!

Hopefully they're able to restore this mosaic to it's original beauty.

top topics

join