It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Activists Dominate FCC Content Complaints

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Complaints to the FCC are at an all time high, but there's some evidence to say that the rise in numbers are stemming from a single grassroots organization. The group denies it, but also says that as long as programs aren't in violation, why should how many and who placed the complaints matter? It's resulted in millions of dollars of fines this year alone. Also, there's the issue of minimal complaints resulting in fines. How can this count as indicative of community standards?

www.mediaweek.com
The number of indecency complaints had soared dramatically to more than 240,000 in the previous year, Powell said. The figure was up from roughly 14,000 in 2002, and from fewer than 350 in each of the two previous years. There was, Powell said, “a dramatic rise in public concern and outrage about what is being broadcast into their homes.”

What Powell did not reveal—apparently because he was unaware—was the source of the complaints. According to a new FCC estimate obtained by Mediaweek, nearly all indecency complaints in 2003—99.8 percent—were filed by the Parents Television Council, an activist group.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We've all heard about FCC and the media lately. All those concerned listeners, all those complaints, the hard hand of fines for this or that - I've often wondered at the changing climate FCC regulation. Is it whim?

I'm all for grassroots organizations, and I have to say that it's wonderful that they can make a difference, but shouldn't the FCC be a little more careful to not cater to one group or another and truly reflect the standards of the community?

If 159 people can complain against a program and result in a fine, is this truly representational?

[edit on 8-12-2004 by Banshee]

new topics

join