It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Keep Posting Religion on a Conspiracy Site?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

I maintain that it's mostly an irrational, emotional response. Just like people ask in other social engineering agendas, how are they hurting you by quoting bible scripture?
I used to live in a neighborhood where the Watchtower people would always come by, because I once entertained them with dialogue. Later on I put a Buddha statue outside on the porch. They stopped coming by. I guess they felt it was harder to convert a Buddhist.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Then you have no grasp of how science works. Seeing you and me is only evidence for the existence of you and me.

I didn't say a thing about science. I believe the fact that we are and exist is enough to prove we were made. I have read many science books that are supposed to explain how we came about, eyes liver heart, all is left unexplained without a creator.

Atheists make up about 20% of the population of the world and 50% of them have come out in the last 20 yrs. when we make the move to an actual secular government

But you see this was predicted. Last days n all.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

There is no reason to believe any of the fantastical events that do not fit with our understanding of physics.

Our understanding is growing.

The most powerful governments in the world have been run the religiously inclined for the last 1000 yrs. all of the hardships we have been dealing with in american and our government has been decisions made by christians. When by definition, they are unreasonable people who rarely even follow the books they take their namesakes from and just make up whatever they want to believe.

I agree with all you said here. Just because something is twisted to be abused does not make the basis of it wrong. It was foretold that it would be abused in just this way.
edit on 13-10-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
Christians were some of the first conspiracy theorist, check it out.

satan is not a conspiracy anymore than the krampus is.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11 Haha, I thought the same thing! Seriously though, I'm always topic specific in my discussions, so even if we were to be seriously crossing swords at the same time in any other threads I will equally support your views elsewhere if I agree with them....and I agree with you in this one.

originally posted by: Char-Lee
Maybe it is you that have chose the wrong website to be involved in if you can't leave a forum alone when you hate on it so much.
Oh behave yourself with the classic inappropriate use of 'hate' and attributing it to mere disagreement regarding faith. Feel free to trawl through my post history and quote an example where my comments could even remotely be considered hateful. I've had 2 posts removed by mods in the time I've been here, but for going off-topic, not ever breaching T & C's with manners and such like.
Oh, you will also note that a minority of my posts are ever in religious forums, so your claim that I 'can't leave a forum alone' is inaccurate, and a bit silly.

I do of course think belief in any gods is illogical and ridiculous, but I don't hate anyone who holds such a position, and I support their right to do so. This OP is about zealots polluting non-religious threads with quotes from alleged holy books...I find that a barrier to mature debate, and mildly annoying.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Every one of these people could go to the library or simply find information online about the scientific method but have failed to do so and will continue to refuse to do so. At times, I think their ignorance is willful and at other times I think they lack the ability to reason critically and no amount of education will remedy that. They simply lack the ability to process information critically much like a small child who covers his own eyes can not reason that you can still see him even if he can not see you.

You think much of your own intelligence it seems to call others ignorant. You still continue to overlook the fact that many of the most intelligent people throughout history believed and believe in a creator. Many who do not believe leave the question open and have not written it off as ignorance.

According to a much-discussed survey reported in the journal Nature in 1997, 40 percent of biologists, physicists and mathematicians said they believed in God - and not just a nonspecific transcendental presence but, as the survey put it, a God to whom one may pray "in expectation of receiving an answer."

Dr. Collins said he believed that some scientists were unwilling to profess faith in public "because the assumption is if you are a scientist you don't have any need of action of the supernatural sort," or because of pride in the idea that science is the ultimate source of intellectual meaning.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I'm a Christian, though not a very good example of one. (I smoke, swear, have a generally messed up view of humanity as a whole) I've studied the Bible on the prophetical side for 20+ years, and that's where my niche/interest lies.

I only "bring it to the table" when I see an OP so ridiculous that I feel compelled to refute it, or I make a thread regarding antediluvian topics that I find fascinating. (Which, incidentally coincides with my prophecy interests)

Most of the time, ppl want links so that they can verify/understand where you're coming from, or how you came up your line of thinking, this is why I post Bible verses on these subjects.

And I agree with the few posters that have stated "if you haven't decided by now, chances are you never will", but I have to ask in all honesty if there isn't a double standard going on here.

MOST Christians don't say NADA regarding the Bible to those outside church, I'm sure it's like 2% or something similar, and yet I've seen many atheist/agnostic posters say the equivalent "IF you really believe in an eternal hell, and don't warn anyone about it, how can you call yourself a Christian?"

I wholeheartedly agree, yet you can't have it both ways now can you?

You can never learn enough, study enough when you put yourself "out there" defending an unpopular position, there will ALWAYS be someone who knows more than you do, will post facts/beliefs different than yours, and will (almost always) have the support of most everyone else b/c quite simply "cause the Bible says so". (Its a dark world)

I can't say in every post or aspect, regarding context or not that my "brothers & sisters" are right about EVERY post, but lets not kid ourselves here it does take courage to tilt at windmills & despite that continue to post. I would hope as long as they do it intelligently & can word their position well they would get respect instead of crap for it.

And if you value intelligent, coherent posts, talk TO them, not AT them, and give them some non-crass feedback. If they're coherent, they may change their style & temper their zeal, if not just ignore them.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Because there is a religious forum? And there are tons of conspiracy theories regarding religion?

What a silly question.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

there are a lot of uneducated people on these boards who don't understand that there is a way to real truth. it's called science,

Do you realize you have made science your religion. I personally don't believe in religions and I have studied science, I would never presume to call others beliefs ignorant. Your mind seems closed to new learning and this can be a problem as many of the things previously believed to have been proven are now back to square one.

Todays younger scientists are seeing things that make some feel their is a creator.

And younger scientists (ages 18 to 34) are more likely than older ones to believe in God or a higher power.

Furthermore, scientists today are no less likely to believe in God than they were almost 100 years ago, when the scientific community was first polled on this issue. In 1914, 11 years before the Scopes "monkey" trial and four decades before the discovery of the structure of DNA, psychologist James Leuba asked 1,000 U.S. scientists about their views on God. He found the scientific community evenly divided, with 42% saying that they believed in a personal God and the same number saying they did not. Scientists have unearthed many important fossils since then, but they are, if anything, more likely to believe in God today.

articles.latimes.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

cold fusion is a fairy tale. it is like saying "ice fire"

Again you are short sighted, a response of NOT possible...you leave no room and yet many people way smarter than yourself continue to work on this.

Fiery ICE!

Start thinking about methane hydrates - a crystalline form of methane gas and pure water that exists when pressures are sufficiently high, or temperatures sufficiently low. If you manage to keep that pressure high or that temperature low, it looks like a lump of ice. There are mega-tons of the stuff at the bottom of the ocean all over the world and in the Arctic permafrost (about 300,000 trillion cubic feet of it) and it is the cleanest and most abundant source of energy in the world. There is at least twice as much of it around as fossil fuels (some say 10 times as much). And, when burned as a fuel, it releases less carbon dioxide pollution than anything else around.

www.light-science.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

yes, studies say that a fairly significant number of scientists do believe in a higher power. but the math suggests that scientists are LESS LIKELY to believe in a higher power because the ratio of believers to non believers is much steeper than the general public. i dont have the stats right here but if you want me to look them up...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11Well lets all believe in the aliens instead.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

So you cannot or will not come up with a good reason why religionists feel the need to adorn public land with their religious monuments.

I guess actually you mean don't want them removed as they have in many cases been there a long time. I guess if we remove all the history we definitely need new money and many other things replaced.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

In a video on YT regarding creationism/big bang, etc Neil Degrasse Tyson said it was in the neighborhood of 85/15% respectively. (Please keep in mind I'm pulling this from the memory hole) I do know he mentions this fairly early in the video (first 5 minutes?) so it shouldn't be that difficult for those that hafta know.

ETA: Got bored so I looked it up for you.

edit on 13-10-2014 by schadenfreude because: YT Video

The problem I have however, with his assertion, is that he makes it sound like education can make you "smarter" and get you away from this silly religious stuff. Education or indoctrination? See, 3/4 of all teenagers/young adults leave the church b/c of "education" & peer pressure & b/c they have no legitimate refutations to call upon when confronted with these "facts" some professors & the like spew. If however, they have a modicum of apologetic s training however, they're more than likely to keep their faith.

And for those possible trolls that will leap on this, apologetics is NOT propaganda, but a scientific answer to a question that is used to make those of the faith question their faith.
edit on 13-10-2014 by schadenfreude because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I urge you to continue posting. Comic relief has its merits.

This is what someone should rant on...calling people ignorant and comic relief has no place in an intelligent discussion, that is best left to the playgrounds.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: inbound
As I said, I would not bash you or anyone else for your religious beliefs no matter what they are. I guess its more of a "hey! we are not talking about that in this thread" kind of thing. (Not in this one obviously)

Well, you could start by acknowledging that I am not religious for instance, and like most of your kind such a thing is preposterous and normally messes up with your bias that tells you everything bible related is church related, is Christian, has to do about faith. Fact is, that when 'someone tries to insert their favorite scripture into a discussion' (sic.) people allergic to Christianity all go vey oi vey as if it was cyanide coming down stream. The thing is, books like the Bible, Plato's Republic or the Homer's Odyssey contains timeless truths and ever so often you can find time and place for a quote or two, perhaps. Damn some people are willing to go a long way for a lousy fleeze.

That said I can personally get annoyed by people who has to refer to the thermo-dynamic laws and stuff like porridge. It's awful!
edit on 13-10-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: quote fixed

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

What makes you think it's not rational to show contempt to proselytizers?

ATS has rules and there is a reason for those rules. Showing contempt anywhere in any discussion has no place.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: schadenfreudeThat is what a real christian is, there are the religious do gooders and men that know they are sinners,

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: inbound

until someone tries to insert their favorite scripture into a discussion where it is not relevant.

Where they feel it is relevant and you do not.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
a reply to: Char-Lee

yes, studies say that a fairly significant number of scientists do believe in a higher power. but the math suggests that scientists are LESS LIKELY to believe in a higher power because the ratio of believers to non believers is much steeper than the general public. i dont have the stats right here but if you want me to look them up...

No need my point to the person who called the belief ignorant was all I intended. The fact remains many people like myself with a degree in science and having studied as many of the ancient books as possible have concluded there is a creator.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join