It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

I Miss Amy and Rory ... and #12 isn't doing it !!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 06:24 AM

originally posted by: Nechash
Any advice for getting into Dr. Who?

The real key is the personality of the Doctor and the people "travelling" with him. That's how the show became popular originally. The best approach is to allow yourself to get used to a particular Doctor.
If you have a way of getting access to some of the pre-2000 series, I would suggest picking one of those. That shows you what the modern series are trying to continue and imitate.
Some fans swear by Tom Baker. I might prefer the combination of Pertwee and "Sarah Jane Smith".

edit on 12-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 06:30 AM
I like Capaldi. He reminds me a bit of the Hugh Laurie character House. Having said that, I am still in catch up mode as I spent a year without access to BBC programming and I have been somewhat slow on the reuptake.

To make things even more argumentative - I never really caught onto the Matt Smith version. It was like "Doctor Who 90210" to me. I understand the approach he was trying to take - and wanted to get back to a bit of the camp that the character had in the seventies. It just didn't click with me.

Several episodes in the one complaint I do have is that Clara seems completely out of place. Like the writers are just keeping her there out of lack of anything better to do. There is no chemistry between her and Capaldi on any level - and I don't mean romantic - I mean they don't even click as people who would spend time together if they had a choice.

The above mentions of horrible writing have me a bit less than motivated to continue catching up. As it happens I am currently at the above mentioned Robin Hood episode and, frankly, I have cued it at least three times, sat down, watched five or six minutes - and walked away each and every time.

IMO Capaldi has the potential to be a legendary Doctor - a chance to show the Doctor at war within himself - a growing detachment from his own humanity vs his love for humanity. But that isn't going to happen if they keep the current status quo going.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 08:29 AM
a reply to: Hefficide

If you can't sit through the Robin Hood episode (which I don't blame you for that, I found that episode on the corny side myself), skip it.
The next episode is rather DARK and certainly not corny.

For any that want to watch Doctor Who from the very beginning and try to get to now, I hope you have a LOT of time to do so, hehehehe. I think it works out to something like over 360 hours. So it will take you quite a long time (there are a LOT of classic Who series on Netflix).
However, you'll find the show a lot different from back then compared to now.

Doctors 1 and 2 were in black and white. Number 3 was the first time it was in color. Number 3 was also stuck on Earth (the Time Lords disabled his TARDIS), having to work with UNIT.
Number 4 (Tom Baker) would be the first time the Doctor starts to have Alien companions eventually. He's the one with the 12 foot long scarf.
Number 5 was the "gentler" and "sensitive" Doctor, who was really into Cricket.
Number 6 had an outfit that will make your eyes bleed.
Number 7 had much more conservative clothes. He has one companion that's a Gang girl who takes out a Dalek with a baseball bat (one of my favorite episodes). You can see him today in the Hobbit movies (Sylvester McCoy), he plays Radagast the Brown.

Expect very cheesy special effects, very bad science, and as with any show Good, Bad and Horrible episodes.

Number 8 was in a movie that was made in the mid 1990s. The movie is pretty good. Paul McGann who played the 8th Doctor got to reprise his role in a short clip that was put out just before the 50th anniversary episode (The Day Of The Doctor).

I tend to make the following recommendation: If you grew up during the Classic Who years (1964 - 1989), you'll most likely be able to sit down and watch these old episodes just fine. If you were born and watched TV after this time, you might have a harder time with it (not to mention there are missing episodes from the first two Doctors).
So for those that are of the younger crowd, I normally recommend starting with number 9.

Of course that doesn't always hold true, hehehehe.

Here's all the Doctors, 1 to 12, going from left to right, top to bottom:

William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker.
Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann.
Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 08:30 AM
I think it's funny how different we all are...

We all love Dr Who and yet we all have a different idea of how it should be!

Personally I didn't like David Tennant, loved Matt Smith.. liked Rose, hated Riversong, Clara is eye candy and Peter is great as a grump!!

Oh, I also loved the Robot of Sherwood episode, very funny!

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:13 AM
a reply to: Nechash

I'm a Brit and never got into Dr Who. I guess I first saw it when I was in my love affair with Star Wars and everything else In comparison seemed lame. An old man travelling through time in a telephone box, terrible special effects, no decent weapons or space ships crappy enemies like the Daleks. Awful program. Then when it came back, it was just as bad. Give me x wing fighters and millennium Falcons not flying telephone boxes and sonic screwdrivers. Sonic screwdrivers. That's not a weapon, it's a tool your dad uses to try and fix things. I am embarrassed by Dr Who. Although Peter capaldi is excellent in ' The Thick of it'. He will always be Malcom Tucker to me.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:21 AM
I suggest you watch some of the Classic Doctor who episodes. The show wasn't originally all this lovey-dovey stuff that was brought forth with the New Series Doctors from 9-11.

I actually quite like Capaldi as 12, He's truly channeling the Classic series, and more often I see him channel Tom Baker. It makes sense since he's (Capaldi) essentially number 4 in the New Series.

Much more serious tone, and brings forth that Classic Doctor Who feel, just my thing, and I'd rate it a 10 out of 10.

You really need to appreciate both the Classic and New series episodes for sure.
edit on V20142212October22Sun, 12 Oct 2014 10:22:17 -0500America/Chicago by VoidFire because: (no reason given)

edit on V20142212October22Sun, 12 Oct 2014 10:22:49 -0500America/Chicago by VoidFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:25 AM
I haven't gotten so many laughs out of a doctor in forever, as I have while watching Capaldi.

To be honest, I was doubtful when he was revealed, but he's grown on me rather quickly (I DO miss Amy Pond, though).

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:33 AM
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

I miss Pond...

However, and this is unbecoming of my gentlemanly standards, but the fact is that I miss the actress nearly as much as I miss the character. I believe that the common parlance would be "Cor, BLIMEY guvnor!".

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:42 AM
Did I mention my ongoing crush upon Rose?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:24 AM
a reply to: Mister_Bit

That's one of the things I love about Dr. Who. There are so many characters, and everyone has their favorites.

I grew up with Baker and he will always be my #1.
I love Ecclestan and Tennant, not fond of Smith. Didn't hate him, just didn't seem like one of "my" doctors.

Love Rose, but River and Donna are my favorite companions. The Ponds and their love story always makes me cry.

I do hope we get to see more of the War Doctor. I love, love, loved Hurst.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:14 PM
Number 11 grew on me, so became almost neck and neck with David. I didn't mind the 9th either though. Think having some matrix glitch allow all the latest doctors to star would be the very best Doctor Who. Never got into Amy or Rory, or Clara. But liked Rose, and loved Donna's sense of humor. Riversong was OK. Don't like TV, had to be dragged into a few shows by the kids, but this one is my favorite.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:18 PM
a reply to: FlyersFan

I'm with you. I have not liked Capaldi at ALL.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:43 AM

I've enjoyed all The Doctors, each is good in their own way. That being said, Capaldi struck me as confused and cruel at first. but, he seems to be warming a little. I completely agree on Clara. Doc could kick her out of the TARDIS mid flight and the show wouldn't suffer at all. She's cute, but she's no Amy.

I admit to a deep bias. A beautiful red head with green eyes and a Scottish/Irish accent is my idea of the perfect woman.

It was inferred he was traveling by himself, between adventures with Clara, I'd like to see some of those.
Tenant and Smith are still my favorites and I would have liked to see Eccleston hang on a bit longer.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:44 PM
I never watched old doctor who shows.
Started with the last "Movie" and went through 2005+ with Who, Wood, Lock, Barrowman wood and up to now.
Like Capaldi (No man should say he loves another man unless he is gay, then it's A O K.)
Mostly disliked Matt. (He acted very distant from 9 and 10. Vengeful, threatening and telling people to run away)
It is a tie between Tennant and Ecleson. (Got attached to 9th and didn't expect him to "die" since i was new to Doctor who. Did not like 10th at the beginning, but he quickly grew on me starting with "Satan Pit" episode)
As per companions - I cant remember his name, but that guy who had his skull modified with a hatch that opens was my favorite. (Barrowman is not worth mentioning cause he is in a league of his own)
Rose - them teeth.
Donna - that face makes me think of my aunt or school teacher.
When Moffat fully took over i noticed a giant lack of something. Most episodes takes time in old London. The three stooges ( Snake, potato, mole) show up in every other episode. Riversong was phased out as a leftover with minimum story and plot. She supposed to know all the faces of the doctor yes she did not recognize 10th but instantly went into a blue book implying shes accustomed to seeing him regenerate. So far she only interacted with 11th and they even avoided the talked about scene where 11th was supposed to give her the screw...driver and she would go to the library. Everything happened in background. Finding Galifrey is now on backburner to be probably used as midseason episode and in the finale with a cliffhanger. Plot holes are appearing left and right and linger for many seasons until explained, like the one in the episode about talking to yourself. The "thing" under the bed sheets was never explained.
Props and effects are over used but i can write a book on it.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 09:11 PM
Well Capaldi kind of grows on you, he's brilliant, and witty, and I'd place him right after Tennant tying with the 11th, in my books. My son of course prefers the 11th more than the tenth. But we both get this humor and wit in the 12th, not to mention I keep sensing the elite, some sort of message of in a bad situation you make you these tough choices, not realizing of course they're just pawns of the things they're connecting with, the bad guys. And being fed distortions, but I do hope for their sake, intention of heart is mitigating consequence for harming others. But as for the Doctor, he's still saving the world and trying to save everyone he can, and still enjoying the show.
edit on 6-12-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 05:59 AM
Mid season.
Still not digg'n #12 and I still want to drop Clara out the Tardis door while in flight.
I'm still missing 11 with his family - Rory, Amy and River.
When #13 comes around, I'll just pretend that #12 was a bad dream.
Unless they screw up and make #13 a woman.
Then I'm done with it.

edit on 12/7/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 07:00 AM

That just might happen with 13.

Look at what what happened with the Master, heh.

But from what I understand, rumor has it that Jenna Coleman (Clara) will be leaving the show after the Christmas special this month.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 02:44 AM
So in order from favorite to least ((new series)) it is 10, 9, 11...and stops there

but nobody beats my beloved Rose...for ages her I had my Billie Piper avatar. I loved her character and her story

I'm not gonna lie. I love Amy/Rory but I cannot stand at all. 11 basically started with a tenuous relationship, then I liked him, then started to love him, then couldn't stand it at all when the whole River thing was all up in my face...didn't like it much when she started either

but it's all about Tenant/Piper for me

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 06:52 AM
When they did that special .... with 10, 11 and 8 1/2 all together and they saved Gallifrey ( Gallifrey falls no more ) ... at the very end #4 came in and talked to #11 and said that he will 'revisit some of the old faces'. Maybe they'll bring Matt Smith back as #13 ... or David Tenant .... or even #9 (even though he left on bad terms). That would be nice!

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:33 AM

Well look what I found this morning. Not sure if you're going to be happy with this, hehehehehe:

Moffat finally confirms the Doctor can and should be a woman

Moffat -

"There easily could be a female Doctor. I think the next time might be a female Doctor. I don't see why not. I think it's good to do that."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>