It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

I Miss Amy and Rory ... and #12 isn't doing it !!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:42 PM
Quick rant but I just gotta' say it ...

I miss #10 and #11. #12 (Peter) just isn't doing it for me. He's mean and snooty and a mess.

And Clara Oswald? Really? Comeon ... Amy, Rory and River are the Doctors family. Clara is just annoying.

I no longer look forward to watching. I have forced myself to watch the new episodes with #12 because I kept telling myself he'd grow on me and I'd get used to it. Well ... I haven't. I just get more and more annoyed. I'm going to give up and wait for #13 ...

Okay .. rant over.

(to those reading this and thinking ... What??
.... this is Doctor Who speak .... )

edit on 10/11/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:47 PM
a reply to: FlyersFan

Peter is the best Doctor since Pertwee....and MILES better than that idiot 10...seriously, whilst tennat did a good job, he played the anti-Doctor. Glad with the excellent team of Capaldi and Coleman the show is going BACK to the right direction, as opposed to 2005-2013...

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:50 PM
I did not like the first two episodes of the new season very much, but since then I've been enjoying the new doctor.

He reminds me of the earlier doctors.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:01 PM
I'm not there yet, have been watching from Netflix and what I still have is Matt Smith and his chin, took me awhile to get used to him after getting used to Dr Tennant.

No spoilers

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:18 PM
That music creeped the hell out of me when I was a young lad, totally put me of doctor who. But the last few years, it seems that it's been growing so I thought I'd give it a go this year. Well it seems lucky I haven't because I just keep hearing how disappointing this new series is. Really bad I take it?

Anyway, have this instead to calm you.

(Sorry if that video offended you!)
edit on 11-10-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:46 PM

Ehh...this isn't great but in a way he is growing on me but that is only because I know this is temporary. I am sure at some point I will look at back at this doctor and realize he was necessary for development.

When I was a kid watching these I never knew what the hell was going on it was all so damn confusing especially because I would always miss the episodes where he turned into a new doctor. Of course I am American.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:11 PM

Any advice for getting into Dr. Who? I'm a dork and I honestly do like British programming. I've watched Little Britain, QI, Never mind the buzzcocks, 8 out of 10 cats, Red Dwarf, Yes Minister (and Prime Minister), and Shameless, and I've tried several times to get into Dr. Who, but it just hasn't clicked yet. What am I missing?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:20 PM
The kids and I are having a little trouble acclimatising to this new doctor.

My youngest earlier today was saying how she felt that this doctor lacked personality, that she is waiting for his character to come out.

I tried to explain perhaps it will develop over time (a couple of seasons, like 10 and 11), or maybe he is always going to be one big grump in this incarnation.

If a seven and a half year old is giving a character assassination, what hope for us adults warming to the 12th?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:53 PM

Yeah, I agree....Though I'm a tiny bit more OK with the new doctor than you are (I'm kind of lukewarm on Clara). What is ruining it for me is the bad sci-fi writing. Now it's a fair argument to suggest that Doctor Who has often played it a bit loosey goosey with science in the past...but no so much as to usually make me lose my suspension of disbelief.

Whereas this season has had moments so dumb that they seem more suitable for a Saturday Morning episode of The Superfriends! I mean...last weeks episode had [SPOILERS] the Moon being a giant freakin' egg, which was getting ready to hatch, putting the Earth in peril!

There was so much wrong with that episode from a science standpoint...For instance they used an old Space Shuttle to land on the Moon! The Space Shuttle was only designed for earth orbit! The explanation had something to do with the US not having a space program anymore (it took place in the near future), so they had to get an old mothballed shuttle out of a museum or something. Honestly....the amount of work you would have to put into retrofitting an old shuttle so that it could not only get to the moon....but somehow land on it, would be orders of magnitude more difficult than just building an apollo era style craft from scratch.

I could go on, and on about that episode...and don't even get me started on 'The Robot of Sherwood' story with it's 'golden arrow' MacGuffin!

"sigh"....I'm willing to give this Doctor Who season a bit longer, but so far it's been a pretty disappointing.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:29 PM
Well I miss ROSE and especially David Tennant. The 11th was tolerable, and River was sweet, but the 12th....The only way to save this is to suddenly have some magical solution where the 10th and the 11th join the 12th and they share years of the show.

I also think he's a pretty good actor, but flashes the masonic horn hand signal too much so now am scanning for codes, ie radiation causes mutations?

However, its not the same and it would be so much better with David back!!!! And if they could actually share a show with 3 doctors all the time showing up, and even soloing different episodes, it would be super.
edit on 11-10-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:36 PM
I, too, love Capaldi. Mainly because he reminds me of the doctors before Tennant.

Clara, however, is my least favorite companion and I see no romantic chemistry with her and Danny. It is past time for a new companion. In my ideal universe, River will pop back up. I'd love to see her and Capaldi together!!

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:40 PM

I've never seen Doctor Who. I loved Torchwood though, and I've heard it's in that genre. Might have to find it online and give it a try.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:27 PM

I think that you have to give Peter Capaldi a bit of a chance here. Someone has already alluded to the fact that Peter Capaldi has had to work with some of the poorest scripts and plotting ideas, that have come out of the Doctor Who writers for some time. That is a shame, but we will not see him shine until the writers pull their fingers out of their collective arses, and start working a little more effectively!

And as for Clara, I think the worst thing about her as a character, is that she appears to have gotten over the effects of the change wrought on The Doctor entirely too well. The writers left far too much unfinished business between Matt Smith's Doctor, and Clara seems entirely fine with all that.

But again, the scripting since the Smith era has been uniformly bad!

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 11:12 PM

I didn't like 11 at first. Took some time to grow on me.

Having gone back and rewatched 9 through 11, I realized that each one took most of their first season to flesh out their Doctor. Of course 9 only had one season (not as bad as poor ol' 8 that only had one movie, hehehee).

12 will most likely be the same. However, he is in many ways like #3, especially in attitude.

10 was like 5, and 11 was a LOT like 2.

Amy and Rory: they were good, but like all companions, their time was done. I actually like Clara and thought the chemistry between her and 11 was smack on. Right now with 12, she's actually acting like I wold expect her to: Unsure. The Doctor has changed and is different.
No worries though as she's leaving after this season.

So I'm giving 12 a chance, being patient as it were. Most Doctor fans normally go through the same cycle: What?? NOOOO! They can't get rid of my Doctor!!! -----> Oh how I HATE this new Doctor!! -----> Well, okay, he seems like a good one. -------> Wow! I really LIKE this Doctor! ------> What??? NOOOOOO! They can't get rid of my Doctor!!!

One thing I do miss though: The music from 11. "I Am The Doctor"

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:00 AM
a reply to: U4ea82

Torchwood is a spin-off of Doctor Who. Captain Jack was a very popular Who character during the Tennant years and Torchwood is still part of the Who Universe

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:08 AM

this is Doctor Who speak

You know......, its like another language to me. I am a huge sci-fi buff, HUGE, but I just cant ..I cant. I dont know.
Its like watching TOS star trek without the virtue of it being star trek. Just goofy props and sci fantasy more than sci fi.

One day, I will watch it all from pilot to final episode of every show and season....if I break my leg or get shot or something. Then I will know.

edit on 10 12 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:12 AM
I actually like when the Doctor bickers with Clara. Their relationship has changed and they have both grown a bit.

In the original series the companion was there to ask stupid questions (so the doctor has a reason to explain things to the audience) and give the viewers someone to relate to.

I think now they use the companion as the doctor's conscience (hence the re-occurring theme of not letting him be alone for too long).

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:14 AM
I don't mind Clara, and Capaldi is slowly growing on me, but the writing has been woeful!

Absolutely woeful.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:05 AM
I think the best thing to do is go back and watch some of the original Doctor Who's. The show has had a 50 year run. There is bound to be some good and bad episodes. Now about the new Doctor Who, I have not yet gotten into his way of doing things, he does remind me of earlier version in ways. So I will just wait and see how it turns out. However, my favorite companions so far are Rory and Amy.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 06:12 AM
I could never reconcile myself with Patrick Troughton not being William Hartnell. Just couldn't get used to it. He seemed competely out of place.

As for Peter Capaldi, many British watchers know him as the aggressive spin-doctor Malcolm Tucker in "The Thick of it", a cunning manipulator who knew exactly what he' was doing. Perhaps that kind of association might be a handle in getting used to the new character.

In answer to another poster, I think Capaldi is absolutely right to get away from the flirtatious approach, which was getting repetitive. The father/grandfather figures of the old days were more appropriate for a healthy relationship among the crew.

What irritates me most about all the recent series is the re-design of the TARDIS interior. A typical stylist's dream, looking exotic, with no place whatever for sitting down, eating, sleeping, or storing things.
Also I disapprove of the way characters are beginning to use phrases from fan-language, which they ought not to know about, such as "Doctor's assistant" and "running down corridors".

edit on 12-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>