It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC Republicans: Flying gay pride flag over city hall is just like something Hitler would have done

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
a reply to: bhliberal

My point exactly. Here's the problem. I don't care what you do, just don't force feed it to my children. I'm tired of hearing it. I'm tired of making accommodations in our elementary schools to make you feel good about yourself. How much is enough? You want to turn out little boys and girls so you have a easier time to find a partner?

Tell them you want marriage rights so you can have the same rights as a straight couple. That's fine. Indoctrinating the family unit is taboo.

Congratulations! In one flame-baiting post, you've managed to highlight just about every backward idea about LGBT folks and the fight for civil rights that generally even the harshest bigots are reluctant to string together so obviously and blatantly. Bravo for being succinct as well!

Not sure what specifically you're on about with the elementary schools, but I'm sure it has something to do with some acknowledgement that LGBT kids are people too, and just as valuable as your offspring.

Did you think your accusation of pedophilia was subtle? What a silly, cheap and woebegone shot!

One wonders though why you're so obsessed with the sexual mores of elementary school kids in that light.

And in the end (pun intended), who cares really what you're "tired" of? Who cares if you don't think every American should have equal rights under the law?

You and your ilk are a dying breed.

You lost and freedom won.

That's the meaning of the rainbow over City Hall.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
the jews were treated horribly in hitler's concentration camps and we all have to walk on eggshells careful not to offend them now (not to mention spending a ton of money for aide for them and turning a blind eye as they conduct something much similar as was done to them to the palistinians...

but they were just one group that was the target of hitler's game. the gypsies, the homosexual, along with russians, polish, serbians, blacks and the disabled were also targeted. When was the last time you heard anyone being accused of being anti-Romani? I mean the gypsies have a sad story also possibly sadder than the jews and they are more often caste in a bad light than the jews in movies and books. So why don't they have their own country? Why don't we associate them with the nazi concentration camps also?

To "Never Forget" should include those other groups also. To associate any group as though they were the nazi's best buddies would be equal to trying to deceive the world that the nazis just loved those jews! There'd be wordwide outrage if someone tried to do that. This republican deserves an equal amount of outrage!

to be quite honest if I were to pick between the christian right republicans and the gays who is most like those nazis I would pick the republicans. They seem more willing to start picking this group and that group to remove from mainstream society.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Maybe these morons should consider going back to history class. If they did, they might be shocked to learn Hitler had far more in common with them than the gay community. The gay community that he routinely had rounded up and sent to extermination camps alongside the Jews, Gypsies, Freemasons, Jehovah's witnesses, and every other undesirable.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: Bone75

Actually, the Nazis were very open about their decisions and used the democratic process to their advantage by first manipulating the opinions of the people.

Isn't that exactly what we're witnessing here?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
"Raw story" strikes again. Fake inflammatory headlines.
Raw Story is to the left, what Breitbart is to the right.

The republicans didn't have a problem with the gay pride flag. They had a problem with the democrats circumventing proper procedure in order to put the flag up. They are correct, the democrats didn't follow procedure and they are correct that it's what the Nazis did. However, the 'like Hitler would have done' rhetoric is over the top, IMHO.

Let's turn this around ... suppose it was the Republicans going around the law and putting some kind of fundamentalist Christian flag up without following the rules. Would the democrats and/or left wing be saying 'this is like what the Nazis did .. the GOP are like nazis'? Would 'Raw Story' cover it?? They absolutely would not cover it. It doesn't fit the "Raw Story' agenda.

Raw Story ... just like Breitbart or Drudge.
No wait ... It's worse than Drudge.

From the OPs source.

Former City Councilman Carl Mumpower and former chairman of the Buncombe County GOP Chad Nesbitt, claim council violated state open meetings law by not holding vote during an official meeting in public, and compared it to the rise of Nazism.

“There is a reason that North Carolina instructs local elected bodies to handle their affairs in an open and deliberative way,” Nesbitt and Mumpower said in a statement. “Otherwise, they would be free, such as in this case, to indulge their personal feelings and conduct business behind closed doors and over private phone lines.”

“I am equating their methods with the Nazi movement,” Mumpower said. “They are indifferent to the rule of law and indifferent to the vote of the people. And that’s Adolph Hitler all over again in a different disguise.”
edit on 10/13/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: The Vagabond

You do realize that Hitler was elected openly

No he wasn't. Hitler tried to get elected and LOST. It wasn't until years later that he was APPOINTED Chancellor of Germany by their almost 90 year old President and then went straight from there to Dictator. He was never elected.

edit on 13-10-2014 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Why bother with little things like facts, history or verifiable record? HITLER!! OMG!!!

People make my brain hurt...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Are you really saying that for the Mayor and City Council of Asheville NC to decide to raise a flag for a time over the City Hall is in ANY way comparable to ANYTHING the Nazis did?

Because that's what it sounds like you're saying, and I want to give you the chance to clarify.

Does that mean you're familiar with the policies or municipal law in Asheville that dictates how and when a flag can be flown over the City Hall? Here's a link to the Municipal Code of Asheville NC ... I find nothing that states any special laws or procedures for raising a flag in honor of special events, no indication that there was anything nefarious on the part of the Mayor or City Council and certainly nothing that would be comparable in the situation to the acts of the Nazi Party in Germany.

You don't like Raw Story? Here's virtually the same information from the Asheville Citizen Times. Are they also a leftist organization in your book?

I mean come on ... explain to me the damage done by this acknowledgement of a group of Americans finally getting equal rights? Did anyone have seizure because they can't look at rainbow flags?

Come on.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: The Vagabond

You do realize that Hitler was elected openly

No he wasn't. Hitler tried to get elected and LOST. It wasn't until years later that he was APPOINTED Chancellor of Germany by their almost 90 year old President and then went straight from there to Dictator. He was never elected.

Yeah those pesky facts just keep on comin'...

On election day September 14, 1930, the Nazis received 6,371,000 votes – over eighteen percent of the total – and were thus entitled to 107 seats in the German Reichstag. It was a stunning victory for Hitler. Overnight, the Nazi Party went from the smallest to the second largest political party in Germany.

Rise of the Nazis - The History Place

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Are you really saying that for the Mayor and City Council of Asheville NC to decide to raise a flag for a time over the City Hall is in ANY way comparable to ANYTHING the Nazis did?

I suggest you reread what I posted. I said the Nazis DID go around the rules but that the comparison was over the top.

The republicans were complaining because the proper procedures were not used before the flag was put up. It wasn't because it was a gay pride flag. They complained about procedures not being followed.

Be honest - If the republicans put up a right wing fundamentalist christian flag without following procedures, the left would complain about the right wing not following those procedures.

Everyone needs to follow proper procedures otherwise they will all be putting up whatever their mood dictates. There is a reason for the procedures to be in place. They should be followed.

I mean come on ... explain to me the damage done by this acknowledgement of a group of Americans finally getting equal rights? Did anyone have seizure because they can't look at rainbow flags? Come on.

COMEON ... the rules are there for everyone to follow for a reason. I could say the same to you if the republicans put up a flag with a big cross on it ... will you have a seizure because you have to look at a giant cross?

And before someone starts screaming that I'm a homophobe .. don't even try it. I've been very vocal about my belief in marriage equality etc. This is simply about following the rules ... if one group doesn't follow them then all the other groups don't need to either. Then god knows what crap will end up flying.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

So, a "rules violation" (again, are you quite sure that there was a rules violation?) that harmed no one IS equivalent to the actions of the Nazi Party in your eyes.

And, really, you think the Republicans were upset because of some possible procedural violation? Really? REALLY? You can say that with a, pardon the pun, straight face?

Their "over the top" dispute had nothing to do with the Pride Flag or what it represented on that day??? Just a "rules infraction" made them bring out the ol' reductio ad Hitlerum?

Wow, just wow. Thanks for answering my question.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

So, a "rules violation" (again, are you quite sure that there was a rules violation?) that harmed no one IS equivalent to the actions of the Nazi Party in your eyes.

I challenge you to find exactly where I said that it's 'equivalent'. Good luck with that.

you think the Republicans were upset because of some possible procedural violation?

They are correct that procedures should be followed and that they are there for a good reason. If procedures aren't followed then both the republicans and the democrats will take advantage and pull off their own agenda items ... be it a 'gay pride flag' or a 'christian flag'.

Would YOU want a Christian flag flying that wasn't approved?
It hurts no one. So by your logic it should be just fine.

Bottom line - Raw Story inflamed the headlines as usual. The complaint was that procedures weren't followed. The complaint had inflammatory language but the complaint about procedures is a valid one.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Did I state that I quoted you when I used the word "equivalent"? No. You're straining at gnats.

Here is a quote of what you said: "I said the Nazis DID go around the rules but that the comparison was over the top."

The Nazis did go around the rules, and in your stated opinion, it's pretty clear that you're implying that so did the Mayor/City Council of Asheville, as evidenced by your continued evangelizing about the sanctity of rules.

Again I put the question to you: do you know what the procedures or municipal laws are regarding raising a flag over the City Hall in Asheville?

No article that I have read says that there was a Meeting of the Council to raise the Pride Flag from which anyone including the general public was excluded or at which the matter was joined by official motion. The Municipal Code as referenced above DOES cede to the Mayor and Council certain powers of the City, and I'll just bet you that one of those administrative powers is to raise a flag in tribute.

Do you have other information? I'll be glad to say I'm wrong if I am. Is there a strict published procedure in Ashville for raising colors over the City Hall?

And really, I could care less about Raw Story but what exactly was inflammatory?

The two Republicans offered a graphic of City Hall with a Nazi flag raised over it and stated that was EQUIVALENT to the Pride Flag being raised.

Check the article from the local Asheville newspaper website linked above.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
So you guys are getting all riled up because some people want equal rights...the same rights as heterosexual white men that is? And that equates to Hitler, who thought that white heterosexual males where superior to all others on the planet, how? lol

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Yeah those pesky facts just keep on comin'...

On election day September 14, 1930, the Nazis received 6,371,000 votes – over eighteen percent of the total – and were thus entitled to 107 seats in the German Reichstag. It was a stunning victory for Hitler. Overnight, the Nazi Party went from the smallest to the second largest political party in Germany.

By your logic, Reince Priebus is going to be our new President next month.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Gays would have been killed. But then, what would politicians know about history or much of anything else other than bribes and BSing.

Perhaps, but they would have just killed back. If it's war some people want - they are welcome to us the gays for it and then they might see exactly what they're dealing with.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

That's not the issue here. The issue is with the spin being applied by the author of the article in the OP.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

I'm not exactly sure we are on the same page here.

See, the LGBT community wants to be seen as normal, just like everyone else. In my view it is a normal thing. I'm a straight man, but I really don't care what gay men do, or gay women, or people who self identify as another gender. It doesn't affect me at all.

What does affect me is people that want to limit the freedoms of others based on their sexual desires.

What you call taboo, I call trying to educate the public so that if a person is growing up and discovers that they themselves fall into the category of an LGBT person, that they can feel normal about that. That being LGBT isn't taboo.

So, unfortunately, the pendulum is going to have to swing the other way a bit, and the LGBT community has to be a tad in your face so that society acclimates to the idea of equality for all. Give it about 50 years and you will see all this hoopla go away and people with equal rights no matter their sexual or gender orientation will be treated as badly as everyone else treats each other.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

The focus on sexual orientation occurs primarily on the part of oppressors who don't think that every American deserves the same civil rights.

/shrug

Exactly!

This is about equality. It is not a gay issue.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: amazing

That's not the issue here. The issue is with the spin being applied by the author of the article in the OP.

I get that, but this is the underlying issue. You're either superior to gay people or equal to them. Which is it? Not you personally but that's the question. Same thing with most of these other threads. If you're Israeli...are you superior to those in Gaza? Are you Superior to democrats? and on and on and on

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join