It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC Republicans: Flying gay pride flag over city hall is just like something Hitler would have done

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

One can hope, BH.

If it were not for the shanghaiing of the Republican party in the 80s by the Religious Right, we'd probably have seen a lot of this ridiculous anti-equality legislation discarded years ago.

I always find myself quoting Senator Barry Goldwater in this instance:

Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.

Politics does indeed make strange bed-fellows.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Kesallen

Tell that to the white guy who's spit on for being proud of his European heritage...

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Auricom

Tell that to the white guy who's spit on for being proud of his European heritage...

Sure, just as soon as you show me the white guy who

1) Can't marry the person he loves because of being white, or
2) Has been put in jail or harassed by the police merely for being white, or
3) Was tied to a fence, then tortured and beaten for hours, and left to die alone, for being white, or
4) Is told by thousands of churches across this nation that he is going to hell for being white ...

... and I'll be glad to, poor thing.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
I still don't understand how anyone can get so angry over such a pretty flag flying gracefully in the breeze....and God doesn't make mistakes so I fail to understand the counter-intuitive logic behind the whole "christian flag rebuttal".

Didn't Gad send a rainbow as a sign of hope?

Not much hope for the rednecks, however.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

3) Was tied to a fence, then tortured and beaten for hours, and left to die alone, for being white, or
4) Is told by thousands of churches across this nation that he is going to hell for being white ...

Yes I'm 100% sure that those scenarios have never happened to a white person ever! Any more victim cards you got in that hand? Ace up the sleeve maybe?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Yes I'm 100% sure that those scenarios have never happened to a white person ever! Any more victim cards you got in that hand? Ace up the sleeve maybe?

Please provide facts and percentage comparisons.

We're not stupid. Of course there are random acts here and there. Of everything.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

what the f**k?

something Hitler would have done?

i'm seriously at a loss for words, at this specific moment...honestly, all that comes to mind is "what the f**k?"

ok, now...literally a few minutes later...i've tried to process this...what the f**k?

i'm still trying to process how they can reconcile evoking nazism, in relation to homosexuality...

i mean, flying that particular flag, on that particular building could be seen as inappropriate, or in poor taste, but i'm failing to see how any possible parallels could be drawn between that, and the machinations of the third reich.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: jheated5

So, you have no factual response just more political jingoism?

Please demonstrate, anywhere, at anytime, something I've stated about "victims" (aside from my obvious reference to Matthew Sheppard, who was on my mind because he was murdered 16 years ago today) ... I was responding to someone whining about how bad white folks have it in this country, which is preposterous.

See, I'm one of the ones that thinks that yes, any racism, any discrimination is abominable.

The point of this particular thread is the rabid reaction of a fundamentalist regarding a simple acknowledgement of the rights of Americans to marry whom they wish.

So, when you actually have some facts or evidence you'd like to present that counters what I've actually claimed, I'll be glad to address it, until then ...

*blows a big, wet raspberry at you*

edit on 17Sun, 12 Oct 2014 17:19:54 -050014p0520141066 by Gryphon66 because: couple of clarifications

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

It's sometimes known as reductio ad Hitlerum and or Godwin's Law ... you know when one tosses into any argument a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis to the extent that it has become a recognized logical fallacy in and of itself.

Apparently, the Mayor and/or City Council had them raise the Pride Flag up as a spur-of-the-moment acknowledgment of the successes of the fight for marriage equality in North Carolina, and didn't wait for a full-fledged meeting and follow all the bureaucratic requirements to make such a timely gesture on the behalf of thousands of North Carolinians.

Funny how some want smaller government and less bureaucracy ... until it rubs their personal nose in something. LOL.

The rest of what you're seeing here is garden-variety "why can't the gays just stay quiet" crap, rather boring at this point.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

Don't let 4.6% dictate what the moral majority wants. I'm tired of hearing about their unnatural sexual preference. I don't tell them about mine. Oh I know why. Because it's natures way of populating the earth.

1st: The world is plenty populated.

2md: What does it bother you what homosexuals do with their time or who with? It doesn't affect you whatsoever. Frankly, from what I have seen, homosexuals just want to be treated like anyone else. With the same rights, and freedoms that are currently enjoyed by heterosexuals.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Auricom

Fine..after I tell it to the kids murdered and tied to a fence for being gay, to the girl who's been kicked out of her house by her "Christian" parents for being a lesbian, for all the LGBT people afraid to walk down the street for fear of bein g assaulted, to all the kids who hear hate mongers tell them they should be stoned or that they're going to go to hell..yeah, I'll the straight European right after I do that.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Funny. Hitler wasn't what you would have called a gay supporter. A little known fact. WW2 started because Hitler heard about "Gay Paris."

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bhliberal

My point exactly. Here's the problem. I don't care what you do, just don't force feed it to my children. I'm tired of hearing it. I'm tired of making accommodations in our elementary schools to make you feel good about yourself. How much is enough? You want to turn out little boys and girls so you have a easier time to find a partner?

Tell them you want marriage rights so you can have the same rights as a straight couple. That's fine. Indoctrinating the family unit is taboo.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
You see a promiscuous woman, you call her a slut. She flaunts her sexuality in the street. The lady keeps it behind closed doors. You make things harder for yourself trying to get rights because you go overboard. Flamboyantly so.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
a reply to: bhliberal

I don't care what you do, just don't force feed it to my children.

I'm so sick of people using their kids for an excuse.

Guess what --- the kids don't care.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
You see a promiscuous woman, you call her a slut. She flaunts her sexuality in the street. The lady keeps it behind closed doors. You make things harder for yourself trying to get rights because you go overboard. Flamboyantly so.

Stereotype much.

The majority of LGBT are regular everyday people, with jobs, mortgages, families, yards they have to mow, etc etc.

(post by Bone75 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Why are flags being flown over city hall for sexual preference? I am soooo confused.
edit on 13-10-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Why are flags being flown over city hall for sexual preference? I am soooo confused.

Reading the article might be helpful ... the Mayor and City Council chose to temporarily fly the "Pride flag" in acknowledgement of the success of the fight for marriage equality in NC.

The focus on sexual orientation occurs primarily on the part of oppressors who don't think that every American deserves the same civil rights.

/shrug

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join