It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC Republicans: Flying gay pride flag over city hall is just like something Hitler would have done

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Apparently the comment was made after the decision to fly the flag was done without a formal public meeting to decide to do so.

So the comments were made in regards to the decision to fly the flag.
edit on 10/11/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bhliberal
a reply to: olaru12

Wow, send those guys back to high school history class. Homosexuals in NAZI Germany were given the same treatment as Jews and Communists had.

Just WOW!

Facts just get in the way of generating really good outrage...

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The RawStory seems to be absent of real news stories that have substance.

They must be running political interference to keep peoples' minds off ISIS, the economy, etc. etc.

Asheville, NC must be heavy Democrat I imagine.

This Republican seems outnumbered.

If that's true, no wonder the City Counsil took unilateral action !!

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I so wish people would stop trying to use the power of government to marginalize their fellow citizens.

If your ideas are so good they don't need to be forced on others via legislation or otherwise.

That goes for all sides.
edit on pSat, 11 Oct 2014 18:59:51 -0500201411America/Chicago2014-10-11T18:59:51-05:0031vx10 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I don't see the Hitler Nazi connection, but I don't think it's right or cool for a government establishment to support any controversial political subject matter..... Imagine If they flew a right to life flag or reposted the ten commandments... People would protest with pitch forks and torches..

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Actually, flying any flag other than the National Ensign and State Flag is rather inappropriate.

Flags flown over government buildings, such as a state's capital building, represent the state's loyalty and fidelity to both the nation and the state.

Flying any other flag over it (I don't care what flag it is: Gay Pride, a Boy Scout troop's flag, a Walmart Smiley Face flag, etc) is incorrect and inappropriate.

By doing so it makes a statement of: Loyalty and fidelity to whatever flag is being flown atop of that building.

There were many other ways that other flags can be flown in order to celebrate, honor, etc, something that would have been just fine, such as the entrance of the buildings, in front of it, draped from windows of it, etc.

But flying ANY other flag other than the US flag and that state's flag was just flat out wrong, and shows a complete disregard for why flags fly from the top of that building in the first place (or being completely ignorant of why).
edit on 11-10-2014 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

Actually Hitler would have dressed people in knee high leather boots and made them dance stiff-legged through the streets for his viewing while he gave them that weird talk to the hand salute he used.

Really ?

From what I heard Hitler and the nazi's being gay was just propaganda from the CIA!

Er well the OSS the forerunner of the CIA.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: HooHaa

I have to disagree about the government fleeing from controversy. Almost every policy issue is controversial, particularly when it comes to ending institutionalized injustice.

By that standard President Johnson shouldn't have said "we shall overcome" re the controversies of the civil rights movement.

The government isn't there to stay out of the way in every area of life. They are specifically instituted to check the anything goes state of nature. You can't abuse people because of who they are - because they band together and build an army and fight back. And the beauty of the ugly business of government is that sometimes it can stop that from happening. We don't have range wars anymore, we have property laws. We don't have stonings in the middle of town, we have lawyers and advocacy groups. It's still dirty hateful business that harms the normal run of people's lives but it's far less likely that you'll be murdered, and that tells me a symbol of tolerance is the side the government should be on initially - maybe that's not where the process ends- maybe subtle controversial distinctions that conservatives like more than liberals do will be ultimate result - but there are people out there who will drag you to the nearest tree and lynch you if the way you style your hair makes them think you have sex differently than they do, and the starting point should be that the people with the guns and the power don't approve of that, and if you have an issue with that your recourse is to go to them with reason, not to just assume you are right and do whatever you want to whoever you want.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Look at the clothes, the gestures, the language, the discomfort with sex in general, and you tell me. They aren't the CIA because everything they say is a lie, they are the CIA because they pick and choose who gets what information.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

Actually, there is documented evidence of the nazis being gay.

Hey, it must be true....right?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
What a howler to see a poster who regularly pimps here at ATS for every bumpkinish right-wing extremist rag wanting to criticize a source for not dealing with real news stories that "have substance."

Hoo-boy, that's rich.

Thanks, I really needed that gut-busting laugh.

Actually, back to real world facts rather than empty sloganeering and propagandizing, the Asheville NC city council elections are non-partisan, but the city and surrounding county is represented by 1 Democratic and 1 Republican in the State Senate, and 2 Republicans and 1 Democrat in the state house, and as far as the US Congress goes, 1 R and 1 D in the Senate and 2 Rs and one D in the House, represent this area of NC.

SO, once again, wrong. It would seem that Republicans outweigh the Democrats and the city council is non-partisan.

Pesky facts.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Almost everyone has done a great job at pointing to a piece of the overall folly that is this entire scenario, and I just wanted to point out that what I find the most outlandish is that no ethical person in their right mind would think it acceptable to correlate gays and one of the most evil and misguided men the world has ever known. I mean it is like comparing apples and kangaroos...It just makes no sense. Edit to Add: I re-read my post and realized that some will take what I have written and state that the comparison is justified because being gay is vile and evil. Some definitely do believe this, despite the fact that it has been sufficiently proven that homosexuality exists among non-reasoning, non-human animals, but the reason that comparing gays to Hitler is in itself vile and ignorant has to do with the fact that Hitler led the slaughter many millions of people. How many people have gays killed to enforce their views on others? How many gays bash non-gays the way that the GOP bashes gays? If anyone should be compared to Hitler, it would be those who are most violent and aggressive, which is not the gays in this instance.
edit on 10/11/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Don't let 4.6% dictate what the moral majority wants. I'm tired of hearing about their unnatural sexual preference. I don't tell them about mine. Oh I know why. Because it's natures way of populating the earth.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: xuenchen

Apparently the comment was made after the decision to fly the flag was done without a formal public meeting to decide to do so.

Probably because one or some felt this new civil equality right deserved to be celebrated, and if they went through channels it never would have happened.

Some times ya gotta say "what the hell" -- and just do it

edit on 12-10-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

If your ideas are so good they don't need to be forced on others via legislation or otherwise.

What world do you live in?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Carl Mumpower PhD - is a Clinical and Family psychologist.

That's damn scary.

edit on 12-10-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

In reality. I'm fully aware my ideal of not forcing others to live by the standards of one group or individual is naive...But one can only hope that, by and large, individual liberty is given some credibility as a noble notion.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

In reality. I'm fully aware my ideal of not forcing others to live by the standards of one group or individual is naive...But one can only hope that, by and large, individual liberty is given some credibility as a noble notion.

Idealism is a nice word.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I'm really not sure how an official acknowledgement of a group of American citizens finally winning the legal right to marry who they wish to is somehow dictating to anyone else how to live.

OH, wait, that's right ... IT DOESN'T.

... and of course, to the person above who doesn't like "being forced" to fantasize about what gays and lesbians do in bed ... my only advice is to stay away from those certain websites late at night when the spouse and kids are in bed, eh?

Because no one, anywhere, is forcing their sex lives on anyone.

Equality rocks.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
It would seem that Republicans outweigh the Democrats and the city council is non-partisan.

Could it be that Republicans in that part of the country are FINALLY seeing that equality is something to celebrate and be proud of instead of something to deny and ridicule? Hopefully the rest of the party will someday catch up...

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join