It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Make Stunning Discoveries at the Antikythera Shipwreck

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation
There is a nice video of it here:

www.dagbladet.no...

What a fantastic link!! Had you not posted that ... I would never have seen it.

Did you see the gear the divers were wearing? Might look like a small-time salvage operation going on, but that's some serious investment just to get get down there and do the job.

Many thanks!!

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
It makes me wonder about what kind of vessel it was given that it is 50 meters long and had a debris field 300 meters in diameter. Normally, ships would stay in harbor until the weather was clear. Given that it was carrying stone statues, that seems to indicate that it was a cargo ship. Could something have slipped and punctured a hole in the wooden hull? Or was it attacked by pirates?

I'd hazard a guess that the statues formed part of a busy and prosperous ancient port...not being cargo on the ship itself.

The ravages of time saw it the harbour and port destroyed, perhaps deliberately during war, or naturally during natural disasters etc. and fell onto the wreck.

Which if so, tells us the port fell some time after the ship sank or could be possibly why the ship sank...

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
One of the cool things about this dive is this, i want one so much...

The wreck is in 55m of water and requires divers use rebreathers. Even so, their time on the bottom is limited to just three hours.

As a consequence, the expedition witnessed the first use of a new robotic Iron Man-like diving apparatus called the Exosuit. This enables its occupants to stay down for up to 50 hours, if necessary.

Awesome, Put a set of wings on that and we have a underwater Buzz Lightyear.
edit on 12-10-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Maybe the contents of the ship were the spoils of War.?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

Very interesting

Bronze statues

Marble statues

Amphorae

Glassware

Lamps

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: Hanslune

originally posted by: lostbook
That being said, I think that our level of achievement has been reached before until the last time the Earth "recycled" itself only to start over.

Howdy Lostbook

That is not an uncommon belief, however all presently held scientific data shows that the idea of such recycling is not supported. A civilization like ourselves creates a massive and easily detected ecological and archaeological footprint. You can go for special circumstances - a new age civ that left no traces but even that requires extreme social actions that no human cultures has ever done. You can also try the 'it was destroyed' but that again runs into the problem that such destruction in itself would leaves traces.

The approach that whatever super advanced civ existed then went poof can be made that the tectonic plates recycled all evidence back into lava.
The ultimate unprovable pile of BS.

Would this be the "intelligent" plates that selectively preserve dinosaur bones but completely destroy all traces of an ancient civilisation......hmmm yeah......right.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

Thanks for the link I did note that they were not using a grid to map where the finds are found. I wonder why they are doing that?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: lostbook
That being said, I think that our level of achievement has been reached before until the last time the Earth "recycled" itself only to start over.

Howdy Lostbook

That is not an uncommon belief, however all presently held scientific data shows that the idea of such recycling is not supported. A civilization like ourselves creates a massive and easily detected ecological and archaeological footprint. You can go for special circumstances - a new age civ that left no traces but even that requires extreme social actions that no human cultures has ever done. You can also try the 'it was destroyed' but that again runs into the problem that such destruction in itself would leaves traces.

The approach that whatever super advanced civ existed then went poof can be made that the tectonic plates recycled all evidence back into lava.
The ultimate unprovable pile of BS.

Would this be the "intelligent" plates that selectively preserve dinosaur bones but completely destroy all traces of an ancient civilisation......hmmm yeah......right.

Gaia is very selective of what she retains in her body.......

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Thanks for the link I did note that they were not using a grid to map where the finds are found. I wonder why they are doing that?

With a debris field hundreds of meters across, it probably isn't practical to have a grid frame. Not enough time at those depths to set up a grid on that sort of scale. Time is money, and funding might not allow it. They could be measuring the distance from finds to set landmarks and plotting the results on a plan up top with a grid (just a guess. I have no idea how they are going about it).
edit on 12-10-2014 by _Del_ because: Maybe it should read "seamarks" instead of "landmarks" haha At anyrate, let us interpret "landmarks" as "prominent known and mapped features on the seabed"

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
YEP REMEMBER you only use 10 % of that mush in your cranium. ancient civies used more of their brain hence they are smarter than you cause they did not need electronics and such to do something.
They worked as a unit and got the job done. It dont take a degree to figure stuff out. If you can imagine it You can make it. If we were not brainwashed into believing this is how you do it. We would be far far more advanced than we are today. Like they say 6+12=18 well so does 9+9.
Just cause someone does it differently doesnt make them wrong or stupid and most def. they were not less of a superior being than you.
We fight with guns they fought with sticks, swords and all sorts of devious things. I bet you would not want to live in their time, you may not be man enough to handle that time period, but hey you could always say you would but lie about it.
Me I wouldnt want to be in that age of man. Being rubbed through with a sword was a slow painful death that no one deserves.
Sorry lostbook this is for intastellar

edit on 12/10/2014 by UDrinktheKoolAid because: reply to wrong poster

edit on 12/10/2014 by UDrinktheKoolAid because: same

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: IntastellaBurst
a reply to: lostbook

You think they had techology then that eceeds ours ?

They didnt find an ipad, just a very simple computer made with cogs and sprockers and such.

Finding that device from that time period is almost the same as finding an I-pad on board.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: _Del_

With a debris field hundreds of meters across, it probably isn't practical to have a grid frame. Not enough time at those depths to set up a grid on that sort of scale. Time is money, and funding might not allow it. They could be measuring the distance from finds to set landmarks and plotting the results on a plan up top with a grid (just a guess. I have no idea how they are going about it).

Without a grid what they are doing is picking up nice museum pieces - not really doing science.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

Noone laid a physical grid at the Titanic wreck site, yet they have a very comprehensive site map detailing the location of thousands of artifacts (both those in situ and those recovered).
I don't know what they're doing, but I offered a best guess. I suppose it is possible that they are only salvaging museum pieces, but the absence of a physical grid is not the defining factor between archaeological science and a salvage operation.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Here is a great documentary on the device

The 2000 Year Old Computer - Decoding the Antikythera

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

You don't need a grid but you need a way to determine where each item comes from, laying a grid cord would have provided this they may be using another less visable system I'm not familiar with.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join