It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Lies About Marijuana That Won't Die Easy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikeyy
We have not witnessed Dark matter, therefore it doesn't exist. I can't see UV rays so they must no exist

You don't give enough credit to the human brain. Read back to my post about how the brain adapts.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mikeyy

Spend 24 hours watching Cops reruns, Every other traffic stop is for weed, Not a single one of those people who get busted seem even remotely intelligent. Not one

Yeah, that's a surefire ticket to a boost in the brain department! Cops is pro-drug war sensationalist nonsense. Your post says nothing about cannabis users and a lot about your judgmental attitude toward those you interact with on a daily basis. Personally between the red-eyed, reefer-reeking potsmokers and judgemental Cops fans, I know who I'd rather spend my time with.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Cannabis does not make you smarter, you should never drive under the influence of it and yes it can make you feel a little more relaxed and unmotivated. But so do anti-depressants, pain medications, and ADD drugs, alcohol and the list goes on.
edit on 11-10-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Cannabis does not make you smarter, you should never drive under the influence of it and yes it can make you feel a little more relaxed and unmotivated. But so do anti-depressants, pain medications, and ADD drugs, alcohol and the list goes on.

Another blanket statement from someone who is inexperienced, even if you are trying to help.

There are plenty of people using medical marijuana who wouldn't be able to get out of bed and go to work every day if they weren't medicated.

Don't buy into the stereotype of the couch-melting, unmotivated, lazy, long haired loser with the munchies watching cartoons all day. It's just as bad as the "negroes smoke marijuana and it makes them sex-crazed fiends who want to rape white women" propaganda from the 50's.
edit on 10/11/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

Read back to my post about how the brain adapts.

I'm very curious to where you have read that, if you read it at all

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I'll agree to all of these being lies if you will agree that the whole pot legalization movement is just about people wanting to use it for recreation and get stoned.

Ahem. I don't use it and don't ever intend to (unless medically necessary), and I fully support its' legalization. My wife is the same way.

There goes your theory.

Yes, sure, some people out there would like it for those reasons, but, just like everything else in life, there is more than one side to every story.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I agree with most of these, but something I have witnessed among people I know who have used the plant almost every day for a long period of time is that there is definitely some negative effects. Of course even if it were proven in a handful of cases that people somehow lost intelligence or some mental capacity, had mood changes, etc., that would not be enough to establish the correlation. But I do feel that chronic and long-term use is detrimental to one's health. I suppose this is to be expected with any similar substance, even legal ones. It is still nowhere near as bad as the effects of chronic alcohol abuse, and that is legal. It just goes to show that, despite all our social advancements, our government and part of our society is still driven by outdated and inaccurate stigmas. Personally I feel that the benefits of legalization far outweigh the negative aspects. I think this would be true if ALL currently illegal substances were legalized. Of course there are going to be more negative effects with the harder substances, but the overall benefits would still outweigh the negatives.

As far as marijuana is concerned, the negative consequences are so minute, and the benefits so great, that I completely believe that the federal and many state governments are either ignorant of the facts, or are acting based on personal beliefs as opposed to what is best for the nation, and THAT is treasonous in my opinion. And that is one of the worst things for the government, considering I don't want a government composed of ignorant people. A lack of intelligence is a benefit to a politician, or rather it is a benefit for the population, because an unintelligent politician is not going to be scheming. We should have a maximum IQ level for politicians, and as long as they have common sense I foresee our country being improved. Of course I am not completely serious, but politicians "think" too much, as opposed to acting on common sense and factual information.
edit on 10/11/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
those 5 lies where all facts.
you can argue with facts if you like.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria
1. Pot is addictive

Those I know who smoke pot, smoke a lot of it... hmmm

2. High people cause car crashes

Ok....you do not have lower reaction time, and lower situational awareness?

3. Marijuana causes brain damage.

Not sure many say this, but it is said that the THC stays in you for weeks at a time, and though you are not high as per say, your slower in your thought processes as long as THC is still in you.

4. The gateway effect.

ALL drugs are gateways no big deal here...if a person is willing to some pot then they are most likely willing to do other ones to get that better high...

5. Pot makes you stupid

See No. 3

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy
a reply to: Sabiduria

I've always hated marijuana being referred to as "The Gateway Drug." I've always looked at alcohol as being the real "Gateway Drug."

Alcohol is far more a gateway drug as it is is readily available and sociably accepable.

Every social sitution comes along with alcohol and therefore makes it far more easy to have a drink or a few beers to be involved.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
We have so far to go...

Even seemingly intelligent people still don't get it.

It's medicine...To some

1-5 do not mean a damn thing to people that get relief from this drug.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
We have so far to go...
It's medicine...To some
1-5 do not mean a damn thing to people that get relief from this drug.

There are a lot of things that is meds and not the best for you if you didn't actually NEED it. Lets face it 1 - 5 is really about keeping kids off the stuff.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux
Do anti-depressants cure cancer? Does pain medication? Cannabis has cured people of their cancers.

Cannabis can give people energy, I see it in my support group

edit on 10 11 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikeyy

No because the brain doesn't do that with booze, It only does that with cannabis. Something about cannabis causes this effect to happen to your brain.

I didn't say that this drug makes you so intelligent that you can drive high. I said repeating a task while high means you start to perform that task better. I again, Do NOT condone driving while high.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I'm trying to find the article. I read it in the beginning of this year and the article was on Science Daily. I had lots of links to studies on another site but it has been deleted.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

The only thing politicians think about is money and how to keep themselves in power.

Legalization of cannabis will strike a blow to the cotton industry, the forest industry & the pharmaceutical industry. The first two reasons are why cannabis was made illegal 100yrs ago.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

How about before you make a comment about the subject at hand, you read the articles. Then read every single post I have said since.

Once you have done so, come back and contribute to the discussion.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Which is exactly what this study has proven

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

*facepalm* read the article & the study

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join