It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local Manufacturing Plant Job Fair Today

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

Hard truth - If you never produce in any way but always depend on others to support you, then you are a parasite on the rest of the world that produces. Until you find a way to actually produce and give back to society, and I'm not talking about money, no one is (Money is just a symbol of how the current economy values your productive capacity and efforts.), then you are taking without making which is what a parasite does.

Now, some people through no fault of their own can't produce. Those people are supported in a compassionate society, and I have no issue at all supporting them. Likewise, I have no trouble helping people who have fallen on hard times and need a hand up. But people who simply choose not to do anything even though they could? I have little compassion for them. They give all the others I'm helping a bad rap.

edit on 11-10-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Societies that are only subsistence never grow or progress beyond barely surviving.

It isn't what we produce or build that matters , more how we treat each other. This huge machine we tend becomes the focus to the exclusion of everyone. Ever see "Metropolis'?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Then what should I be doing? Society/nature has established this entire elaborate system of punishment and reward, judgement and status to lead us towards the ultimate goal of compliance. That doesn't work on me. We have independent minds and independent choices, yet we are told to conform and to comply or to the extreme of the religious, to sacrifice ourselves so that God can end the chaos of our independence and lead the world back to a harmonic unity (which I think is a lie, I think total annihilation of all things is their ultimate goal).

What for those of us who can't abide in unity? What for those of us who cannot fall into a harmonic relationship with everyone else? Maybe we should just roll back the clock and burn a heretic like me at the stake. At least then I'd have to be willing to take my principles to their ultimate conclusion. Do you think half-measures and the slow grind of ages will break the spirit of a truly rebellious being? I think you're out of options. I think this generation that is being born are the souls of the brazen few who cannot be reformed and chaos is coming directly for this world. I'm just an early arrival, a bit too eager I guess. What are you going to do with a generation of non-conformists who refuse to take their place in line? Can your civilization survive another Bohemian age?

My nephew Damian gives me tremendous hope. He refuses to pretend to be anything other than himself. Even when I try to play with him, I'll try to get him to be a dragon or a hero thinking it will entice him into imagining himself as something truly amazing and fantastic. "No, I'm Damian," he says. I think he truly gets it. I think he realizes that being himself is the optimal possible scenario. He doesn't need to pretend to be a dragon or a hero. Being himself is the best thing he can imagine to the point that he naturally rejects any other possible scenario.

That is the generation I hope for, a generation of people who will look out into the world and say, "None of that is good enough."

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash
I think this generation that is being born are the souls of the brazen few who cannot be reformed and chaos is coming directly for this world. I'm just an early arrival, a bit too eager I guess. What are you going to do with a generation of non-conformists who refuse to take their place in line? Can your civilization survive another Bohemian age?

Just like every generation prior thought they were the ones going to bring chaos or be the non-conformist..

Your life is no better, worse or different. You have not suffered more acutely then anyone else. You think you have known the depths of despair, I think I have known the depths of despair and this other person over here thinks they have known the depths of despair now extrapolate that out across everyone and you see the world doing what the world has always done , breaking some while others thrive.

If you want to feel like you are privy to some great revelation because you don't conform then great have at it..That is no different then all the musical scenes talking about how they don't conform and yet all dress, talk, dance and act the same. See goths, metalheads, sXe, rap, hip hop, pop, classic rock and so on..

All those "new generation" types that expect everything to be handed to them will be so busy complaining asking "why should i work hard to get paid" or complaining about the man not hiring them because they have 7 pentagrams tattooed on their necks will miss out on all the glorious and wondrous things life has to offer just so they can say "i got this 12 gauge piercing in my ears when i was 17!"

Everything in life is a give and take.. I work hard for 40-60 hours a week doing something I like.. In return I have a stable career, i am professionally successful , financially viable , happy, living life free to make the choices I want and yes maybe I can't just for the hell of it decide "I'm not going to show up tomorrow" but that is a trade off I will make 100% of the time because it means I could take a vacation next week and do exactly what i wanted for my family.

So I say..You live your life the way you want other people will live the way they want and neither approach is any better or worse than the other.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Well crap. No matter how far you twist the dialogue, you still get the same responses. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Thanks for playing the game. You inspire me.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Considering the rampant unemployeement in my area I just found it odd that there wasn't a better showing because this company is well known here for being the best place to work around.

I'm just wondering what people my age are doing?

kind of fits in with the discussion we had in the other thread huh.
there was not a better showing because people do not want to work....
this should prove it to you....

we batted this back and forth a lot. perfect examples of work available but people dont want to do it

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

My factory job you look down on has made a good life for my family I make more money than 90% of the country. That is right 90%. What I see from your post is someone who has everything handed to them. This is not making a living it is charity.

ive been debating this in a couple threads. im a foundry guy so i am with you.
factory/manufacturing jobs are out there to be had. you can start with little or no experience.
you can make damn good money too.

people dont want to do that kind of work though.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

a reply to: onequestion

The thought of a manufacturing job makes me want to put a bullet in my brain. How our entire society can keep marching forward every single day with dull and almost meaningless work just to subsist is beyond me. Call me sociopathic. I don't care. I'd rather starve to death under a bridge huddled around a burning barrel with other freedom loving failures than to resign myself to a pointless job for the rest of my life. I think a society obsessed with wage labor is a very slavish one. Free people don't worry about preparing for an interview to rent their time away.

its not pointless though. it allows people to EARN a living and take care of the people that depend on them.

this is the attitude most people have though..

a foundry? im not working there
assembly plant? im not working there
a machine shop? im not working there.

they would rather grind out at mcdonalds or wal mart. that way they can socialize with their coworkers and they can post status updates on facebook.
thats what is more important.

dont get me wrong. working at the places i mentioned should be respected.
still though, unless you are upper management in those places you will never make decent money.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Did you get the job?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

I would take a CNC machinist job if one would let me. I would love to learn how to do that and I would find it incredibly interesting. I don't know how long I'd stick around, but that's another story. I think if I could get into a shop that let me rotate so I could learn welding, woodworking, machining, a bunch of different skill sets, it would be rewarding.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

They are interviewing I'll probably go back for the first time on Wednesday. I have a job right now but it's just temporary until I can find something worth it.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

a reply to: CardiffGiant

I would take a CNC machinist job if one would let me. I would love to learn how to do that and I would find it incredibly interesting. I don't know how long I'd stick around, but that's another story. I think if I could get into a shop that let me rotate so I could learn welding, woodworking, machining, a bunch of different skill sets, it would be rewarding.

i doubt you will find a shop that will let you rotate around like that.

i got into cnc with zero experience...
like i said in the other thread, those cnc jobs can be found everywhere...

even with no experience you could get a job as an operator. the real cash is in the programming but operators make money too.
cmm is another one that pays very well.

of course not evey shop will hire with no experience but a lot will.
i know around here operator jobs are all over with no experience needed. gonna make $10 an hour right away.

the thing to know about a lot of these manufacturing jobs is they work long hours a lot of the time. 60 hour weeks are pretty common. big money in overtime right there.
i dont see where you would find a job that would teach you both metal and wood working...

welders make good money too.
once you learn how and get better at it, if you get welding certifications you will make good money. if you can read off blueprints and fabricate then youre talking real good cash.

i used to weld over defects at the foundry all the time. little inclusions that made its way into the part.

for example, if you can read the prints for say a boat trailer and then fabricate it...thats money.

my uncle was a fabricator in florida. all he did was build boat trailers. he was making around $35 an hour and this was 15 years ago.

there is money to be made in these trades. it is not always push a button and wait. push a button and wait.
these are skilled trade type jobs and the money shows.

i still say for someone who is not afraid to work in a shop and for someone that does not want to spend a lot of time in school then cnc or cmm is the way to go.
you can learn on the job and work you way up or take classes and the classes are not very long.

edit*
dont know where you live but i just typed 'cmm job' into google. this is the first link

www.careerbuilder.com...

cnc

www.careerbuilder.com...

edit on 13-10-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Well wishes, positive thoughts and good luck!

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
$19 an hour
www.careerbuilder.com... JRKV0D

$15-$22 an hour
www.careerbuilder.com... JRKV0G

teach youself how to read a tape measure, calipers, and a micrometer....

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Well during the fair I made a few obverservations. One was that there was about 100 people there which isn't bad considering they didn't advertise anywhere.

Considering the rampant unemployeement in my area I just found it odd that there wasn't a better showing because this company is well known here for being the best place to work around.

Ok, you answered your own question here. Look at what I highlighted in bold in the first quote and reconsider the second. If no one advertises, no one besides anyone told via word of mouth will know. It's highly likely the ones who showed knew someone working there, or got a hot tip from someone who knows someone working there.

I hope you get the job! Industrial is my husband's line of work, and they pay even the entry levels pretty well. If you have mechanic skills, that might be a massive payoff for you down the road, they're paid pretty darn good to keep the machinery going.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

I hope you get the job! Industrial is my husband's line of work, and they pay even the entry levels pretty well. If you have mechanic skills, that might be a massive payoff for you down the road, they're paid pretty darn good to keep the machinery going.

this is truth right here. maintenance guys probably make the most...
at the foundry the guys that ran maintenance made more than any of us except for the upper management.
probably would need some schooling for that unless you can sign on as an apprentice.

the foundry tries to hire from within so they post jobs. they posted an apprentice job and i bid on it but didnt get it. the apprentice position paid $23 an hour. had to apprentice for a couple years and do classes. need to learn electrical, hydraulics, etc etc.

big money in that.

about 20 years ago i got a job as a sorter. all i did was sort mail based on the zip codes as they came out of the machine. it paid about $8 an hour which was pretty good for an 18 year old in an entry level job.
thats the first time i came in contact with the guys that did maintenance on the machines.

these guys had an office and all they did was chill all day unless there was a break down. obviously then they had to diagnose and repair...i got chummy with one of the guys and he said he was making $45 an hour and his brother made more.

all the machines were pitney bose(might be spelled wrong) so they were more specialized.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Thanks

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join