It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Bush Acknowledges Toll War Taking On Military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
In a 30 minute address to an estimated 7,000 Marines this morning, President Bush acknowledged the fact that the insurgency is getting worse, and that the newly trained Iraqi soldiers are fighting poorly at times. Flanked by 2 armored vehicles with mounted guns, President Bush received cheers from his audience as he described some American successes.

www.sfgate.com
On a gray wintry morning at this huge Southern California Marine base, President Bush offered an unusually sober assessment Tuesday of the war in Iraq, acknowledging that the insurgency is getting worse, that newly trained Iraqi soldiers are fighting poorly at times and that the war's casualties are taking a heavy toll on military families.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

President Bush has finally decided to go public with the real tolls of this war. If nothing else it shows that he is at least aware of the problems, and not wearing rose colored glasses.

I agree with him when he said We should be doing more, with volunteer efforts and to give them the kind of welcome home that, he noted, returning Vietnam veterans were denied a generation ago.

Thank you Mr. Bush for acknowledging our brave men & woman who fight and die for this great land. And let us never forget those that have fallen.

[edit on 12/8/2004 by superdude]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
I agree with him when he said We should be doing more, with volunteer efforts and to give them the kind of welcome home that, he noted, returning Vietnam veterans were denied a generation ago.

Thank you Mr. Bush for acknowledging our brave men & woman who fight and die for this great land. And let us never forget those that have fallen.

[edit on 12/8/2004 by superdude]

Why should we? Some of us are too busy working and paying bills in an overinflated economy at an underpaying job. To hell with volunteering, and to hell with Bush who is too much of a coward (like most if not all politicians) to backup his talk in person instead of having people do it for him...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Why should we? Some of us are too busy working and paying bills in an overinflated economy at an underpaying job. To hell with volunteering, and to hell with Bush who is too much of a coward (like most if not all politicians) to backup his talk in person instead of having people do it for him...

I happen to be one of those people who is busy working, trying to pay my bills, and raising my children as best I can. This volunteering thing is aimed towards the troops, not President Bush. I'm not a big fan of Bush, however I personally thank every single brave man and woman who has ever gone to war.

I'm sure they would much rather be home, than sitting many thousands of miles away, worried that every person they see, or every car that approaches them is a potential death certificate. Yes I do see that it is important to do what we can state side. Do YOU have the cajones to go to war?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Cajones or stupidity?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I would say cajones. Stupidity is a word that I reserve for other issues. Remember it is not the soldiers fault that they are where they are. That came primarily from the decision of one man.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   

In a 30 minute address to an estimated 7,000 Marines this morning, President Bush acknowledged the fact that the insurgency is getting worse, and that the newly trained Iraqi soldiers are fighting poorly at times. Flanked by 2 armored vehicles with mounted guns, President Bush received cheers from his audience as he described some American successes.

President Bush:

[edit on 8-12-2004 by curme]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I would say cajones. Stupidity is a word that I reserve for other issues. Remember it is not the soldiers fault that they are where they are. That came primarily from the decision of one man.

It's atleast partially their fault, no one forced them to sign up.

Not to soak this thread with too much alpha-male BS...I have almost died a few times. And the thought of killing people isn't all that unpleasant to me, I think about it a lot during my day actually.

But I'll be damned if I pulled myself out of the mess I was once in to go fight some people I couldn't care less about, for a government I couldn't care less about for reasons that don't benefit me...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
curme - That's pretty good!

Yes it was pretty obvious, but we all know, or think we know anyway, that he is one stubborn SOB, who believes his own BS. It's a step........

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Lets just pack up and leave. I mean, after all, if we just stay in our own country and dont bother anyone, the world would be safe and no one would ever try to mess with us. While we are at it, lets just get rid of our military might as well, after all with no military, we are showing the world that we wont ever attack you. This is what I take from people who think that war is unjust. Without war there is no peace! We cant go back and erase the first war that ever happened, or take back everything that might haved made people hate us. No one can, so lets just accept the fact that some people feel that serving in the military is what they want to do. This country has been falling apart because more and more people are looking out for themselves alone. Whether you accept the fact or not, you should want to serve in the military to prevent our way of life from ceasing to exist. There will never be world peace because radicals will always exist. We can however, stop worse things from happening to us. So the war didn't turn out like some first expected, but what war has? Certainly if you could write out a war plan and knew it would go according to plan, you would not have the need for contingency? I think that in today's society, with the lack of belief in our system, it takes a little something extra to want to serve in the military.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by lost1]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
lost1 - I have to agree wth you, although my forst read through your post had me thinking you were against the troops. Yep, like you said "There will never be world peace because radicals will always exist. We can however, stop worse things from happening to us."

new topics

top topics

join