It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And this is where entitlement attitudes begin...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Ok I was on evil Facebook and saw a post about a child being bullied and how the parents contact the police and school and nothing was done and how they are up in arms about why they aren't doing anything and it dawned on me.

This is where the entitlement brat generation comes from.

Why aren't they teaching this kid how to gain enough confidence to stand up to this bully on his own?

Why doesn't personal responsability apply to situations like this?

What if this kid grows up and starts his own family and one day needs to stand up to them but we never taught gumption and never taught how to stand your ground and can't find the confidence to do so?

We're raising a nation of cowards.

+24 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Counterpoint:

I taught mine to stand up and defend themselves against bullies. One did so, and was expelled for fighting. The zero tolerance policy that ALL schools have for violence now makes standing up to bullies literally illegal.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

That's another issue.

So as a parent what do you do?

Do you not teach your kid that responsability apply to personal safety as well? Do you not teach them to stand up to bullies?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

I'm liberal but not a hippie. I still encourange them to stand up for themselves and to let me know if they ever get in over their heads. I'm prepared to accept expulsions and the hassles of finding a new school for them to go to.

Sadly many parents in this day and age aren't - they're too caught up in careers and selfish endeavors to be "troubled".

That's the harsh truth.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

You take them out of public school if there is any conceivable way of doing it. Not a comfortable way of taking them out, any way at all.

+5 more 
link   

I don't believe children should have to defend themselves from bullies in an environment that is supposed to be nurturing. Children go to school to get an education, not to learn self defense. While I agree with you that standing up for yourself is extremely important there are times when I do feel it's a parent's job to step in and be an advocate for their child.

link   

I would do the same.

Excuse my French but we don't need an America filled with pussies we need an America with people who are ready to fight for what they believe in.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

That's why, in the rare altercations I had, it was always off school grounds.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I taught my children to fight also.

I'll accept any fallout from that.

I didn't raise any "victims".

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: U4ea82

Well I'm not suppose to be getting bullied at work either but guess what it's a part of everyday life.

There's no reason to shelter them in this manner. They should learn at the earliest age how and why they need to stand their ground.

I disagree with you.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Thank you Beezer and exactly my point.

On this issue I think we'll find that we strongly agree.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I grew up in a real tough neighborhood and I had no choice but to learn to st and up to bullying and when I did it was empowering.

I think it helps develop a strong character. Something we need more of.
edit on 10/11/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I don't agree with teaching my children to solve problems through aggression, doing so would be an incredible disservice to them. Violence solves nothing, we need only look at our own history to see that.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

lolz

One minute I'm starring and flagging your insight, the next?

lolz

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Counterpoint:

I taught mine to stand up and defend themselves against bullies. One did so, and was expelled for fighting. The zero tolerance policy that ALL schools have for violence now makes standing up to bullies literally illegal.

wow that is such a piss poor reaction from the school......what was your boy supposed to do? just stand there and cop it?...i take it the other child involved was also expelled ?

to the OP....it would appear that the governments want people growing up unable to defend themselves both mentally and physically....call me crazy but i think they want kids as depicted in Orwell's 1984

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Bullying is very pervasive in the corporate enviornment there's a lot of literature about it you should do some research.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I was raised to never tolerate a bully. Smash them with all you have. I have taken some good beatings, but I have never had one come back for seconds.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I personally think the best approach is not to just teach self DEFENSE but to also create an understanding.

It's really Important to pair the two together and Im speaking with a lot of experience of teaching kids boxing and fighting skills.

edit on 10/11/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Not surprisingly, bullies don't occur just in schools and corporations, they seem to pop up in many places. Perhaps we need a whole philosophy, or area of study, for the different types of bullies we find in various situations. We can't punch all of them. There should really be other techniques available, but I don't know if it's been studied much.

Have you run across anything like that?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: U4ea82

I don't agree with teaching my children to solve problems through aggression, doing so would be an incredible disservice to them. Violence solves nothing, we need only look at our own history to see that.

Violence ended WW I and WW II. Violence ended the revolutionary war. Violence ended the civil war and slavery. I will agree that starting violence is wrong, but ending it is not and THAT is what the people in this thread, including the OP are saying.

If you choose to be a donut you will get holed.
edit on 2014/10/11 by Metallicus because: sp

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join