It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Still say police intereact the same with everyone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This is what class & White privilege look like interacting with police

The White woman in the video had no fear in confronting police who apparently was harassing her Black employee for being seemingly in the wrong part of town, an upscale wealthy area.
Even before she made it known she was a lawyer, the police seemed genuinely afraid of her. They continued the contempt for the Black employee but was very respectful to her.

Eric Garner was not immediately submissive to police. When they grabbed him he went into the standard hands up mode. He was placed in a choke hold and murdered by the police.
John Crawford III was on his cell phone walking around a Walmart with a BB gun sold at the store. Someone called police. They came guns ablaze and murdered him. These guys were carrying real guns in stores yet never feared having Crawford’s fate.
Michael Brown was walking home in the middle of the street unarmed. He had an altercation with police. While running away the police executed him as he ran away, shooting him multiple times even after he had already fallen.
Jamal Jones was fearful of police that had drawn guns on him after he reached for identification. They broke his window and assaulted him with a Taser.
Of course there are many other incidences.
Apparently Charles Belk fits the description.
Apparently Christopher Lollie fits the description.
Levar Jones fits the description. Is there any doubt police show a different level of restraint based on some factors?Is there any doubt class and White privilege are a fact in American society. Until this is overcome, America can never be the America everyone preaches it is.

Notice the big difference in the interactions between a white rich woman to a black man.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
There is most definitely a difference

-BUT-

even as a middle class white male, I am treated differently by the police than others, mainly because of the way I dress (health problems force me into sweats most of the time).

While I have zero doubt that black people in general are treated worse than white people by cops, I would caution people to not make the mistake of thinking its only racial. It is socio-economic warfare.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

I think what your saying is that every black person needs a white female lawyer friend as a bodyguard.

At this point, that's a more realistic solution than police reform. Hopefully that will change soon without a bunch of bloody protests to predicate it.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The police treat everybody like garbage. Remember, in their eyes a citizen is not a person. They're always criminals, always a source of revenue, always an opportunity to vent their rage.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
The police treat everybody like garbage. Remember, in their eyes a citizen is not a person. They're always criminals, always a source of revenue, always an opportunity to vent their rage.
Thats not completely true. I person who looks like a compliant drone will get no trouble from the police. Likewise, a person who presents themelf in an executive manner will rarely have issues with cops.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Interesting thread. This idea came up when I was researching for NLBS Ep 11. I had stumbled upon this video here:

Daily KOS documented the premise of the thread. This example here is the most blatant difference.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

So black cops hate black people too huh? That was class separation you just witnessed, not white privilege... know the difference.

Aren't you even remotely curious as to why the article made no mention of the fact that the police were responding to a burglar alarm?
edit on 10-10-2014 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

While I have zero doubt that black people in general are treated worse than white people by cops, I would caution people to not make the mistake of thinking its only racial. It is socio-economic warfare.

First of all, I finally get your username. I like seashell things.

Second, completely agree. I have no doubt that black people have far more encounters with police, but it's also poor people. Anyone who has gone from driving an older car to a newer one will have seen this. I haven't been pulled over ONCE in my new car and I used to get pulled over with some frequency (in a fairly nice but older vehicle) for the most benign crap.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

That's interesting because my husband and I both drive cars that are over 10 years old, and the only times either of us has ever gotten pulled over in either of them both occurred when they were relatively new cars, once when he was clocked speeding and once when he blatantly ran a stop sign by accident right in front of the cop.

Now, I do agree that there is something to how you are treated based on how you dress, groom and present yourself, but that doesn't just pertain to law enforcement. It carries out into society as a whole. You want to get ignored on a sales floor or put in the back of a restaurant? Wear your worst clothing and look like you just crawled out of bed or something. If the salesmen don't think you have two cents to rub together, they won't bother with you. If the waiter thinks you look disheveled, they'll probably put you where you won't drag on their business in the worst seats.

Now, understand that cops are going to be the same way.

Is it judgmental? Yes, but it has something less to do with your ethnicity than it does with your presentation. I know. I've used these tricks to shop unmolested by annoying salesmen although it does mean you will sometimes asset protection following you around.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

So black cops hate black people too huh? That was class separation you just witnessed, not white privilege... know the difference.

Oh..I know the difference.

In case you missed it..black suspect under suspicion for burglary, even thought says eh works there..white woman comes to defense of black man from out of nowhere..no perceived threat..no suspicion, even though she came "aggressively" to officers.

Now try that when a minority..in fact there are videos of cops stopping white males and their only complaint...I don;t have to show IDs..no physical abuse, also no children in car...so the cops don't have to worry about upsetting them.

many more out there.

Black passenger of car is physically attacked..children in car...officer smashes window and tazers man..could care less about children in car. No weapon visible..yet suspicion of wrong doing or possible gun attack.

This guy is just walking down the street, no weapon.

White man with weapon.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Wow, I saw that first video where the police officer breaks the car window and then tazes the man, that was entirely uncalled for. When I see police officers actively making society worse it makes me wonder why they continue to get a paycheck from the taxpayers.

The second video shows quite a difference when a white attorney is talking to the police... in my opinion, the police are out of control in the U.S. You have to know your rights and say the exact right thing to keep from being mistreated.
edit on 10pmFri, 10 Oct 2014 19:12:58 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Behavior of the police needs to be addressed.

But I fear when people try to narrow the issue into a race issue, and even more narrowly into a black vs. white issue there will be no progress made, just band-aid temporary solutions that get people to shut up for a few years.

People need to realize that police are out of control. Period. Are their antics worse towards blacks? I absolutely believe so. But the core isn't isn't racism, the core issue is rogue police. You could colorblind every officer and it won't stop the atrocities they are committing, the victim's stats will just be more spread out.

Not only is focusing on the race aspect dangerous because it misses the larger core issue, but it's also damaging because it will simply cause more divide between black and white CITIZENS which weakens our goal of a united front. White people will get defensive and be against reform as they see it as an attack on them, and animosity against whites will grow in the black community as they are programmed to believe that some white guy walking down the street is somehow responsible for the situation they are in with the police.

Just like during the rodney king riots, you had innocent white people being savagely beaten because of extreme amounts of rage and anger from the black population. The rage and anger was justified, the actions were not.

That's how they always get us. Even when something seems like it's "against the establishment" we are playing into their hands anyway. Now that police aggression is becoming more mainstream a topic, instead of causing people to look hard at the role and power of the police, now it's just another black vs white debate that never gets anywhere because there is nowhere to get to with such ridiculous conversation topic.

Instead of people seriously considering that maybe police are out of control as a whole, white people will just dismiss this as those thug blacks upset with the law because they are criminals.

Turning this into a race issue, instead of an authoritarian issue, will strongly cut support from the general population for reforms, cause further division within the populace, and after sensitivity training the police carry on as usual.

That's exactly why they want this to be a race issue, and not a generic issue of rights and freedoms, because it limits who will support it, and divide everyone else instead of uniting.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

Turning it into a race issue doesn't accomplish anything you're correct. If all citizens would realize banding together is better than dividing we'd have a much better society to live in. My only hope is that people will use these protests to voice support for all races who are oppressed by the police. And citizens have to make their concerns known with not only the police but their administration on the highest levels.

The police follow orders. Citizens have to be aware of the higher authority that determines what these laws are. There is an I in unity, but it's as important as the whole.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Although I do think American cops are insane by any standards I also understand why they would use racial profiling, especially if they're patrolling a ghetto.

Not saying any of these situations were justified though, they should go to jail for murder in a lot of these cases, and if I was to decide their fate they wouldn't be isolated either.

Something has to change, that much is clear..

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: captaintyinknots

First of all, I finally get your username. I like seashell things.

Second, completely agree. I have no doubt that black people have far more encounters with police, but it's also poor people. Anyone who has gone from driving an older car to a newer one will have seen this. I haven't been pulled over ONCE in my new car and I used to get pulled over with some frequency (in a fairly nice but older vehicle) for the most benign crap.
Exactly. This is about socio economics. Yes, there is a racial element involved, but there is a much bigger umbrella over the rise of police abuses.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Wear your worst clothing and look like you just crawled out of bed or something. If the salesmen don't think you have two cents to rub together, they won't bother with you.
I spent a LONG time in sales, and the very first rule of sales is to NEVER judge your clientele. Ever.

Now, understand that cops are going to be the same way.
So cops should be judged in the same way a retail salesperson or a restaurant worker would?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I've used these tricks to shop unmolested by annoying salesmen although it does mean you will sometimes asset protection following you around.

When I was doing that we looked at peoples shoes more than anything else. That and behaviors.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I'm sorry 'Merica.......you have failed at pretending this was a free country for all.......

I hate to have to pull the race card but I'm white. So don't even go there.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Police are people too...and like everyone else out there, they'll treat you with the same respect you give them.

A video taken by a bystander, starting in the middle of an a$$ whoopin', doesn't give us much to go by. I don't know about the rest of you but I can't take the word of someone who just happened to be there, especially since most of these videos show obvious resisting of arrest. We have laws in place, laws are what create society and anyone who behaves lawless doesn't belong next to us.

To the white people crying about race, why do you suppose you haven't had many encounters with the police apart from a speeding ticket or a glance at a coffee shop? Could it be you spending your time contributing to society?....working, raising your kids, school...? Why aren't there more videos of white people being abused by police? I'm aware of the guy at the gas station and the rookie cop.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Yeah because only white people are hard working individuals.

Wow..there is no way to defend the racist actions of what occurred in the vids but you found a way to.

Well we know where you stand in this debate. Must get boring at storm front for your kind to show up on ATS.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join