It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayors urge for minimum wage increase

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Conference of Mayors is urging Congress to raise the federal minimum wage to $10.10 per hour and has garnered support from mayors across the country.

If the federal minimum wage was increased, it would help close to 28 million workers nationwide.

"We are calling for this Day of Action not only to urge Congress to increase the minimum wage but also to remind all of us that even though the economy is rebounding, the wage gap continues to expand at an alarming rate," said Mayor Johnson, who recently created a Cities of Opportunities Task Force.

ksdk

I agree with this 100% trickle down or Reaganomics have benefited the wealthy for decades, its time the lower classes got a significant raise. Consumers grow the economy and brings about economic prosperity. $7.25 to $10.10 a hour would spur a economic boom, the rich would still get rich, but the lower income folks would also see a gain in wealth, this is what has been missing for decades!!!

WTG! Mayors of the USA!!!!
edit on 10-10-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Meh. It'll just get re absorbed by businesses charging more and cutting hours or laying people off. The capitalist system is another failed ism. I'd rather not celebrate it no matter what. It's about time we move on and end class structures.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
If they really feel that way then they should adopt the measure in there own towns first.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

So do I get $3 an hour raise also? Since this doesn't effect me, I think everyone should get an equal raise or it is discrimination....

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
When will people realize that no matter how much you raise minimum wage, you will still be making minimum wage? Prices will adjust and you will still be in the same position you are in now.

(post by Metallicus removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The mayors that signed this disagree with you, and so do I.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
The mayors that signed this disagree with you, and so do I.

Why not raise it to $50 an hour? That might actually help.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
There's a fine line between minimum wage levels and what the business' can bear. And I'm not talking about the giant companies such as Walmart. The $15.00 an hour was just too much. $10.00 is a little high but maybe it'll fly. My state recently raised minimum wage to $9.00/hr and honestly I haven't seen any noticeable affects. Of course it was at 8.25 so it wasn't much of an increase. There's also a way to raise minimum wage gradually over time and not not all at once so it's easier to adjust. All at once would kill a lot business' fast. If a business has to raise prices, they would only have to raise them a bit to compensate for the increase in prices. At least a mid size company. The small companies will always have a hard time. And here's another thing, with all the hours being cut because of Obamacare, minimum wage employees really need an hourly wage increase to compensate for the cut hours and they still won't be ahead but the companies will lose profit. I don't see any winners here.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

If the federal minimum wage mandate is too much it might push some companies into net loss territory and they would pass on the cost to consumers once more and it will be like the wage never rose at all.

Minimum wages for companies which sell commodities like gas and food shouldnt be mandated without first checking the profitability of those companies.

We have the science for food and rent to be free, but yet it's still commodified and its rights toyed around with and not given to the tenants...

Wage increases won't fix capitalism and its rights to private enterprise screwing the quality of life of all subjected to it.

Seattle is NOT an example, that is a city wage increase which is only a temporary stimulus injection to the city relative to areas around it. If the wage was raised on the federal level, that affects money supply and doesn't attract any sort of business. And any base wage increase is followed by increase in cost of goods/services by that amount.

To put shortly, Min wage increase results in Less Jobs OR Higher consumer prices. All it does is increase money in circulation devaluing the dollar further or cause massive job losses.

But, it is Great for the stock market since it scares people into investing into stocks (rather than letting their dollars devalue).

But absolutely terrible for working people who just want to be comfortable with no anxiety. Its a transfer of wealth basically, those without equity in corps via stocks take the biggest hit.
edit on 2014 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

And I ask this question alot, but I'll ask again. . . .

If raising the minimum wage helps the economy, and businesses grow and earn more with a healthy economy, then why aren't businesses voluntarily raising minimum wages?

Don't greedy business owners want to make more money?

Wouldn't a healthy economy enable them to take in more money?

Would raising the minimum wage actually create a growing, good economy?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yep, let's raise minimum wages so the cost of unemployment insurance companies pay increases... and so those ACA subsidies decrease, meaning more out of pocket for the poor to participate.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

So how are corporations paying a rate so low that it forces millions onto government welfare helping the economy?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Yes.

Yes.

Sort of. Raising the minimum wage only has the aspect that it demolishes the savings of the low income worker.
Businesses will always remain profitable because they are by definition.

Wage raises will be answered by increased cost for products. Forcing wage increases forces corps to let go of some of their large cash reserves into the economy which then causes the dollar to devalue. The businesses will always be profitable since their services are the needs to society and other businesses and they exist to charge more than they spend.

All you get from this is the government telling you that the 5k in cash you managed to save is actually worth much less now in comparison to the new prices. In order to keep up with the spiked inflation caused by wage hike, you probably have to get back to work as soon as possible or you're in even worse quality of life than you were before the hikes.

It's all a big scam basically, nd the federal reserve only makes it worse by printing. They are not trying to increase anybody's quality of life. They just want to keep you working.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Silly free-thinker

(longtime no argue..
)

you forgot that it worked so well last time we need to do it again

That lets keep doing the same thing again and again, only this time the result will be different

It easy to understand why the mayors want it

Min wage increase equals hidden tax

edit:
numbers
min wage times hours equal gross pay
gross pay times .25 (governments cut)
7.45 * 32= 238.4
238.4 * .25= 59.6

10.10 * 32 = 323.2
323.2 * .25= 80.8

government profit
80.8 - 59.6 = 21.2

So they gain 21.2 dollars per worker

(Mind you they do not care About the waitstaff at all in any of this.. god forbid they matter)
edit on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:32:55 -050032p2014-10-10T16:32:55-05:0020141031Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:32:55 -05002014Friday by ripcontrol because: truth

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ripcontrol

Minimum wage increases consumer buying power that is what creates jobs and drives the economy. 27 million people with a raise will create a economic boom.

Tax breaks doesn't create jobs or we would be drowning in them!!! Its a lie preached by the right since Reagan!! Since Nixon!!
edit on 10-10-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

yeah about that.. Why did the LAST min wage increase NOT work?

We have to do it again.. Makes no sense.. When will the next increase be scheduled after this to FIX the issue

The simple reason is obvious

Pay is not the problem

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

So how are corporations paying a rate so low that it forces millions onto government welfare helping the economy?

Because people will do whatever it takes to survive.

Scrounging, stealing, working 3 jobs, rooming with a room mate or 5.
Etc. Etc.

Corps get away from it because they aren't liable.

AFAIK, most benefits require that you be unemployed and seeking employment, a war veteran or disabled worker. Most types of benefits given to minorities actually are long term low interest loans that cannot be forgiven. I don't exactly consider that salvation.

I could be wrong though, I've been wrong before and likely will be wrong again some time.

-----------

originally posted by: ripcontrol

yeah about that.. Why did the LAST min wage increase NOT work?

We have to do it again.. Makes no sense.. When will the next increase be scheduled after this to FIX the issue

The simple reason is obvious

Pay is not the problem

The only potential benefit I see to a minimum wage increase is that it will cause massive suffering and have everyone question whether this system we all subscribe to really works at all.

Its like people forget that a living wage and a minimum wage are two different things. Under our current system, a minimum wage will NEVER be a living wage

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

so with your numbers the government increases its intake

27 million time 21.2

572,400,000 per week

now a good point is what is the increase

242.4(proposed min wage)
-178.8 (existing min wage)

63.6 increase

What you cant add on is this
How much have businesses raised cost because of ACA
Then how much will this hidden tax be carried to the next set of price increases

(which of course means you need to raise the minimum wage again)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

That doesn't answer the question.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join