It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the deal with 2,000,000+ stars being awarded to certain members?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: FlyersFan

My stars! No! *hugs stars*

Ditto that sentiment.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

The real secret behind all the "stars". . . . .

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: WASTYT
Hi WASTYT,

that's an excellent question you've asked there. I'm sorry that no-one has told you what really happened and why some members have millions of stars, but it might be because it was a little bit embarrassing.

However as I'm an IT expert and I'm also completely honest at all times, I'll explain how this all happened without any deflection or confusing terminology.

This is a custom-built site. Bill, also know as SkepticOverlord, is not only one of the site's owners, he also built most of it. So he's like an owner-builder, you see. Now, most people think he just wrote lines and lines of code but it wasn't quite like that. There is code and there is a Matrix™, but there's also various bits of hardware involved and one day, when Bill was shifting everything over from the “old” ATS to the “new” version that goes by the highly symbolic name of “ATS 5.3” there was a little mishap.

You see, part of the custom way this site is built, is that the earlier members' accounts are set up in lots and lots of long rows, all of them side by side, then the slightly less earlier members' accounts are in rows stacked on top of them, and so on and so on, up to the new members whose rows are on top. It's just easier that way and it's nice and stable.

So now you've got the picture of how the accounts are set up I can explain how stars are given out -- and what went wrong.

When somebody clicks on a post to give a member a star, it activates a little lever in the main Star Box that sits on a platform above the rows and rows of accounts. I'm sure you've heard of platforms in IT? So, there you go. The Star Box sits on one. On rubber mounts so it won't get shaken up too much if anyone bumps it. And this box holds billions of stars, all of them primed with a sticky layer on the back and ready to go.

So when a member gives a member a star, the Star Box opens and it lets a star fall down in the gaps between the rows till it gets caught by a little mechanical arm. Each account has one and the coding is so clever that exactly the right little arm reaches out and grabs the star it's supposed to grab. Then it peels off the waxy paper off the sticky stuff on the back of the star and sticks it on the post so everyone can see it. And when there's no sticky places left it just leaves the waxy paper on and stows the star away inside the post (at the back, where no-one actually sees it), and just adds the star to the post total.

I'm sure you'll agree this was a very clever way to use a platform. And in truth, this system worked really well for a long time.

But on moving day, when Bill was shifting the main Star Box and setting it on the new platform, he just kind of slipped on some piles of old code that were lying around and well... he dropped the box on its side and a whole bunch of stars spilled out all over the accounts!

So, because the little arms weren't there to reach out and grab them (because no-one told them to), all these stars just tumbled down and down until they fell into the lower layers and piled up, and some spilled over into older members' accounts! The little widgets that count stars went crazy and just counted them all, but the little arms didn't know where to put them, so the stars basically got lost and they're all sitting on the floor in the members' accounts.

Luckily, Bill was able to pick up the box pretty quickly and only lost maybe half a billion stars or so. There's still plenty left to go round and he can order more if the site ever runs low.

But you see, it wasn't only that. When the Star Box fell over it bumped the Points Box that keeps tally of everyone's points and broke it, which is why no-one even has a points total any more!

Luckily the points didn't really matter, because they're only numbers. But the problem with getting all those stars back is that it's really hard to reach those little accounts boxes that are so far down. So the stars just stay there.

Anyway, that's what really happened. No conspiracy, just a little accident.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
The real secret behind all the "stars". . . . .

You should check out a 50's TV program called Your Show of Shows. Check out the writers.
THAT'S the real secret behind the stars.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
This is the same glitch that gets presidents elected.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Why not just do away with stars all together? Flags are ok, they draw attention to the threads people think are important. Stars on the other hand are pretty meaningless.

The content is what matters. Little ratings systems are kind of annoying. Some members are hell bent on getting those stars, so much so that there's been rants about people getting more stars than they do! This isn't junior high. There shouldn't be little popularity contests on forums, nor should there be the inevitable butthurt from those who don't receive them. It distracts from the the content within threads.

ATS should develop a crypto currency. ConspiracyCoinz. Those would be worth fighting over.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

No, no, no. That's Diebold. I just looked in the mirror and I'm definitely suffering from Diebald.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: deadeyedick

No, no, no. That's Diebold. I just looked in the mirror and I'm definitely suffering from Diebald.

I really wanted to star that!!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

and here me thinking my mario/bowser explanation was cool and elaborate

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

They are the awesome few.

The Indigo's that bless us with their presence.

They also get the best parking spots at ATS Headquarters and date the cheerleaders.

*sigh*

Beezer, too funny. Was that a sigh of disdain??? Since you're one of the beneficiaries of excessive stars? Although we do really appreciate you.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent
Yours was cool. And a much quicker read than mine!

But I guess at the end of the day, people like starring posts. I'll sometimes star posts where I don't even agree with the member's viewpoint. If it's well presented and makes people think a little, then okay, why not give them a star?

And in truth, we most often notice stars on a post more than star totals. Makes sense to me, which is why I don't really worry about what someone's total is. Especially because none of the dropped stars fell into my account!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Double post. Sorry. I sneezed while clicking the "post" tag. (Truly.)

edit on 10/10/14 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

If it is a glitch, it could be an interesting sociological experiment. Will the people of ATS handle the inequity among the stars, a supposedly meritocratic system more favorably than the people of the real world have handled their monetary systems? Stay tuned to find out. ;p

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustMike
Double post. Sorry. I sneezed while clicking the "post" tag. (Truly.)

OMG! ATS ebola.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I would personally be pissed if my account had tacked on millions of stars for no reason. I don't know why, but I would be. It's kind of like when I beat a video game or something similar... I have to beat it all the way through, in every way possible ON MY OWN or I have to start over. It doesn't count if someone else completed even half a level on my profile... It's an OCD thing apparently.

BTW - If you search really hard around the internet, there is a "glitch" posted wherein they tell you how you can game the star system. I can't remember the site, and I don't know if it works (looking at my count, you can tell I've never tried it) but it does explain in detail how you too can get millions of stars. I'm inclined to believe it since people are STILL popping up with millions of stars regardless of join dates and the board changed over a pretty good ways back. If it matters that much to you, you can probably figure out where it is and how to do it. It seemed a pretty simple thing to do when I read it. I'm pretty sure that you won't be the first nor the last to do it.
edit on 10/10/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It's because some members are super special. Almost like Demi-God's who should be worshiped and loved by all. They have magic powers as well which gives them the ability to create stars at will to become a Thousand Points of Light. Or in this case 2,000,000 points of light.

I've heard they are also the most beautiful and intelligent members too. Rich too. Ah yes, rich and powerful and far less stinky than the other members.

I'm positive it's a conspiracy though. It will also most likely end in the utter destruction of millions who don't have at least 2,000,000 stars. But nobody cares about them anyway so it's not a big deal.

Mwahahaahaa

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
It's because some members are super special. Almost like Demi-God's who should be worshiped and loved by all. They have magic powers as well which gives them the ability to create stars at will to become a Thousand Points of Light. Or in this case 2,000,000 points of light.

I've heard they are also the most beautiful and intelligent members too. Rich too. Ah yes, rich and powerful and far less stinky than the other members.

I'm positive it's a conspiracy though. It will also most likely end in the utter destruction of millions who don't have at least 2,000,000 stars. But nobody cares about them anyway so it's not a big deal.

Mwahahaahaa

I was going to agree and demand you bow to me as a commoner, but then I saw the star count. Damn this power sharing.

Your post did make me laugh, I'd give you a star for the funny if I could

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Thanks JustMike,

This makes a lot more sense now. I thought it was a secret ATS society.

You explained it in a nice way so my kindergarten mind can understand. I love stars

And all those millions and millions of stars must be so happy to be free (even if for a little while longer)

Thanks again

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Thanx. I see you're up over 16 million. You must smell wonderful!!

Have a starry evening...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Yes, they are happy, happy little stars.

They dance and sing and toast marshmallows over campfires...

Oh, about that ATS secret society thing. We ummm... we're not really supposed to talk about that.
You know why...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join