It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing dangerous animals in Europe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
A few days ago, in Portugal, there were some news about a box that came in a plane (from Mexico, I think) that brought 2 tarantulas and a rattlesnake. The tarantulas were killed but the rattlesnake is on the loose. Also a few days ago, there were news that there are now Asian predatory wasps (Asian hornets) in Portugal! I find this odd to be a coincidence. There are probably some cases in other European countries, this is likely related with the whole reducing the population thing. What do you think?
____

Apparently, there was also a case about the Asian hornet in France, in April, this year.
edit on 10-10-2014 by Emma3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
the Asian hornet was introduced to France around 2004 in some Chinese pottery container, it has been spreading slowly since to everywhere, very nasty huge wasp, only dangerous near their nest.

I highly doubt a snake 2 spiders and some nasty wasp that has been around for 10 years are an attempt to reduce the population.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Emma3

Population reduction with a snake and a couple wasps? I probably have 1000 rattle snakes in the couple acres we live on, I have killed 100's of them.....they are not that dangerous.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

More like people want to own exotic critters and they get away, or they arrive in shipments of produce like fruits and vegetables.

An insect or furry, slithery thing hijacks a ride and wallah, a whole new environment to conquer. People on the East Coast are responsible for the masses of snakes and other critters loose in the wild because they buy them to show off to their friends and a hurricane wipes out their house or pet store, freeing all of them in an instant. The Everglades are plagued with Pythons and Boa Constrictors, for instance.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This would obviously be just a slow beginning...
edit on 10-10-2014 by Emma3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I saw the thread topic and for some reason I was imagining lions in France, tigers in Italy and grizzlys in Spain. "Oh my"
I think I need coffee.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Emma3

A really slow beginning. North America has rattlesnakes, black widow spiders, scorpions, bears, cougars, etc.
Mosquitos with diseases too.

Hasn't made a dent in the population......

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Emma3

At that rate they may as well let the population die of old age, it would take the same time and a lot less effort

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I used to engaged to the most deadly European animals.
The dreaded red headed female of the uk.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

We have at least two species of dangerous vipers in Portugal, the snub-nosed viper and the Portuguese viper, we don't need "imports".

We also have Mediterranean black widows, yellow scorpions and Mediterranean banded centipedes, that, although venomous enough to kill a person, have a nasty bite.

But the most dangerous species is the bad driver, those kill more than 500 people every year.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

haha you're probably right, I exaggerated on this one

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'd be more concerned with a mass importation of Liberian fruit bats!

top topics

join