It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When would you advise taking preparations is in place regarding ebola?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I have a question on my mind.

Living in Europe I'm wondering, WHEN would be a good time to consider stocking up on supplies in order not to have to leave the house that much anymore if and when it would start spreading? Its in spain, technically it could be where I live in a short time and the WHO has put my country at the top of the list of countries at risk, so I'd say its not a bad idea to consider being a bit prepared.

I'm nowhere near thinking this will become pandemic, however, I do feel privileged in knowing how it COULD go and want to use this to my advantage should SHTF.

So, when and what would you prep in this very concrete situation? I'm thinking bottled water, dried goods and tins/jars of food, stocking up to at least make it through winter.

Apologies if a similar thread already exists!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
You might find what you are looking for here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NoNameNeeded

Well, preparation is supposed to happen BEFORE the actual occurrence. Which would be about... now.

Seriously, though, next time you go to the supermarket, just buy a bit more than usual, and see if you can find stuff that can last for a while. Don't go all crazy and buy stuff for months. If things get worse in the next two weeks, THEN take it more seriously.

My two cents.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Flip a coin. The odds of dying from it are about fifty fifty (I know rough figure) .

If you survive its passing you can live on the supplies of others who died.
Until then either GTFO or enjoy your life until forced to flee.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It's never a bad idea to be prepared...even if it's not Ebola.

You should probably have a supply of food and water for lots of different reasons - a severe storm that cuts off your power, a job loss where you have to rely on yourself for a month or two, an earthquake, a neighbor in trouble. You don't have to go out and pay a fortune for emergency essentials, but you can begin a process of purchasing extra each shopping trip. Make sure you include sundries as well - soap, medicines, cleaning supplies. Purchase what you normally consume...rotate your supplies...and even if NOTHING happens, you have extra and that's always a good thing!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: NoNameNeeded
WHEN would be a good time to consider stocking up on supplies ...

Dude .. you should be done stocking up by now.

We are stocked for a three month stay in quarantine.
If you can afford it, that's what you should do - IMHO.
Ebola or not ... other things happen ... always be prep'd up.
ALWAYS ....

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: LukeDAP

Well, preparation is supposed to happen BEFORE the actual occurrence. Which would be about... now.

Seriously, though, next time you go to the supermarket, just buy a bit more than usual, and see if you can find stuff that can last for a while. Don't go all crazy and buy stuff for months. If things get worse in the next two weeks, THEN take it more seriously.

My two cents.

Do what he said. You do not have to go crazy and spend a bunch of cash at once. Ebola is unlikely to be the pandemic that will eventually come but it (so far) has a lot of people thinking which is good. Carry on.....

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
One of the easiest things I have found is making my own baking mixes. Shelf life is longer than store bought. Cheaper. Powdered eggs, milk, and butter are used which means water, sometimes oil and maybe vanilla are all that needs added. Recipes were developed to make it easier to provide quick meals for a large family on the go. Rotating mixes assures freshness. I mix 4-6 months worth at a time.

Homemade Brownie Mix Recipe

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups white sugar
powdered egg Equivalent of 3 eggs
1/2 cup powdered butter
Mix ingredients together and place in a jar or container. When you are ready to make brownies add

3/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix until well combined. Grease a 9×13 pan. Spread batter evenly and bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes or until done.

Yes I plan to live on brownies until any crisis is over. I have a generator and portable oven just in case there is no electricity. Neighbors love when we lose power because I bake cookies and cakes for their children.

With all seriousness. Make sure you have water and a heat source. Storing food doesn't have to be expensive or things you would never enjoy eating. If you store those things you enjoy then rotating helps to keep your pantry fresh and longer lasting. You don't have to worry about expiration dates that way.
edit on 10-10-2014 by 2gd2btru because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
We always buy a little extra when we can, just to be safe. You never know when a bad storm might hit, and water can't be used, or electricity goes out.

We don't want to be with the crowd running each other over for water, so we get a package of bottled water every time we go to get groceries.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
MAKING THE PANCAKE MIX

8 C. flour
6 T. + 2 t. baking powder
4 t. salt
1/2 C. dry egg powder
3/4 C. sugar
1 1/3 C. dry non-instant milk powder or 2 2/3 C. instant milk powder or 2 2/3 buttermilk powder

Mix dry ingredients together WELL (and make sure your baking powder is still good!) and store in an air tight container.

MAKING PANCAKES FROM THE MIX
1 3/4 C. pancake mix
1-1 1/4 C. water (depending on altitude and preference)

Mix ingredients together until smooth. Pour onto pre-heated griddle. Flip pancakes when bubbles form.

This I always have on hand. I have used it for biscuits and dumplings also. In an air tight container it lasts as long as the earliest dry goods expiration.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Prepare now and your best case scenario is you save later because prices will have gone up.

Just do not tell anyone you are preparing or make it obvious.

And plan how you will dispose of your waste in case the water is cut off preferably in a non obvious way.
edit on 10-10-2014 by joho99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I would start preparing now, for any eventuality. If it's not Ebola, it could be something else.

edit on 10-10-2014 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Just buy a little extra here and there. We've been quietly filling some large, sealed plastic drums with dry goods over the months just in case there is an emergency situation of some kind.

Ebola actually scares me less than something like an avian flu pandemic. I feel like we could still do some moving around with Ebola.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Just buy a little extra here and there. We've been quietly filling some large, sealed plastic drums with dry goods over the months just in case there is an emergency situation of some kind.

Ebola actually scares me less than something like an avian flu pandemic. I feel like we could still do some moving around with Ebola.

With winter coming up Ebola could go either way. Either everyone will get it while out Black Friday shopping, and with Halloween and stuff. Or it'll get so cold that everyone isolates themselves within their homes and the disease dies out because there aren't any hosts.

I'm definitely in the same boat as yourself. Other things worry and scare me more than Ebola.
edit on 10-10-2014 by Lyxdeslic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Search Historical Flood Events in Spain, the amount is substantial. Most of the sites are PDF format. You should always be prepared. It doesn't have to be prepared for a year but think about if you needed food and water for a month, get that and increase at will. It's very important to rotate your stock because food can go bad, especially high acidic foods - they eat right through the can. Dried foods, canned food - get foods you know you'll eat. I find the easiest is brown beans, split peas, different dried legumes, pasta and rice the simplest base. Add to from there what you would like to add! Have a source of cooking or else cook your bases, drain and dehydrate and package well with oxygen absorbers. This way, you'll only need to have a source of water (with a way to heat it even better) Many times the seasonings will go bad, ruining your base product so keep your seasonings separate, in a sealed glass jar and they'll last longer. If you are able to can foods in glass jars go for it. I think the easiest for people is buying the 30 day supply in a 5 gal. bucket for about a hundred bucks from Costco. But it has a lot of instant oatmeal and that type of meal. Better off getting that stuff on sale but that's just my opinion. Stocking up on cereals that you don't cook i.e. crackers, chips isn't the greatest idea because it's overpriced and doesn't last that long.

One thing I experienced is I have a lot of food stocked. Much in cans and jars. During a minus degree winter, I lost electricity for a couple days and lost a lot of my canned and jarred goods. I wasn't aware because I was out of town and there was nothing that could be done about it afterwards.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I have an alternative take on the subject. Yes stock up on things. You do not have to go crazy like these others have said, but simple buy cans here and there when you can.

But alternatively learn how to type out blood. Its pretty simple. Learn how to use IVs and find the equipment on the internet. gain knowledge now. The best way to survive a "virus apocalypse" is to get the virus and then survive it.

I know that sounds crazy but its the first thing I would do in a huge outbreak. network my friends blood types as much as possible and learn how to do simple transfusions. They really are simple.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ArmyOfNobunaga

Hinged on a theory with no real proof.
Pretend for a second it works not much good if you do not have a good supply of food and water.

Self quarantine has worked again and again time proved.

Dont want to knock your idea just saying.

Buy as much as you can afford because regardless if it turns out to be a pandemic or not you will need food the rest of your life.

The more food you have the more time you have to plan going on circumstances.

edit on 10-10-2014 by joho99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: joho99

A apocalypse virus will never be completely escapable man. It will crop up every 50 years like the black plague or other strange viruses. Unless you want to stay in your boarded house your whole life with whole rooms filled with dung you will eventually have to leave and face the world.

Better to beat the virus and get it over. Blood transfusions against a strain of a virus is proven method for beating a virus. Use pubmed.

This is just my take. Luckily there will be no virus apocalypse and if there is it definitely will not be ebola... if its a virus at all it will be a recombinant virus engineered by people..... that we do not have the technology to do atm.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ArmyOfNobunaga

No you do not stay in your house for your entire life please do not exaggerate .
you stay till it has passed then you move away from towns that would be full of secondary deceases from dead bodys that some blood transfusion would never cure.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Yesterday.
Start now, do what you can. If you can't afford to stock up on supplies, stock up on knowledge. Forums are great, as is Pinterest (believe it or not). Hit the thrift stores for goodies for cheap. I've gotten a crank radio for $1, sleeping bag for $5 (it was brand new). Dumpster dove for 3 coolers, a tent, 2 dog bed covers, and thermals -- all brand new and free as the company was closing and those were their branded goodies to give to clients.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join