It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North and South Korea exchange artillery fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
www.bbc.com...[/url]

North and South Korea have exchanged fire across their land border, the South's Yonhap news agency reports.

The incident came as South Korean activists launched balloons containing leaflets condemning North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

Pyongyang had warned of "catastrophic" consequences if Seoul allowed the activists to go ahead.

The two sides exchange periodic fire across their disputed maritime border but incidents on land are rare.

Yonhap, citing military officials, said the North fired towards the balloons and South Korea responded after some shots landed south of the border.

There was no immediate information on whether there were any casualties.

The clash came as North Korea marked the 69th anniversary of its ruling party.

Mr Kim, who has not been seen in public for more than a month, did not attend, according to a list provided by state media.

Return artillery fire for propaganda balloons, i hope kimmy isn't trying to go out with a bang. This is not exactly what the world needs with ISIS, ebola, a crashing stock market and issues with Russia
edit on 10/10/2014 by Immune because: forgot the link

edit on 10/10/2014 by Immune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Its that time of the year already? really it happens every year.

You miss the link by the way

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Stupid people. Go on, keep poking the bear.

The South just keep poking.

People laugh, but those balloons are intended as weapons to go across the border and dethrone and destabilize the country.

It is an act of aggression.

Laugh it up. They have every right to blow them away.

P

edit on 10/10/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I suppose it depends on how serious the artillery fire was. Were they actually aiming at something to cause damage or just lobbing a few bangers at each other as if to say 'cop that you mongrel'? With the world the way it is at the moment I can't help thinking that something serious is going to happen this time.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Immune

NK starts to get all belligerent around this time of year. It's as predictable as the seasons. I'm thinking that it is really tied to the seasons though as Korean weather can be quite brutal in the winter and every one pretty much knows that NK has a hard time feeding its own populace.

Gotta keep that populace focused on other things other than their own grumbling belly.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Immune
So where is Kimmy?
Is he still running the North,or has there been a coup of some kind?

Incidents like this are often followed by Kimmy spouting his usual rhetoric on TV...
Where is he now?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Nobody knows where kimmy is, he didn't appear at the "grand event" in remembrance of his forefathers yesterday fueling more speculation that he is sick, dead or dying. As horrible of a world leader as he is he at least provided us with stability in his insanity, his absence may create a power vacuum that could make the area far more unstable and dangerous

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Even though North Korea probably shouldn't have fired artillery at the balloons (they could have tracked them and picked them up before the civilian populace found them), South Korea really should have halted the demonstrations if they really cared about maintaining relations. Especially considering the current breakthroughs...

North Korea had warned them about failing to halt the protests. In this case, South Korea either underestimated the North or just didn't care.
edit on 10-10-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I agree, they should not try to poke the sleeping bear. This was just plain foolish, well intentioned but still foolish and i hope these balloons were worth the risk of escalation

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
With Kim Jung Bung out for 35 days, anythings a go.
He may be on deaths door or a coup..
If that is the case the crazy dude has noting to loose.
Why not toss a nuke over teh fence as it were.

Yet the South keeps playing the dipstick had and pokes away.
They will be standing around with a thumb up there arse wonding why the noth blew them up...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The group responsible for launching the balloons isn't the South Korean Government, However their interference sure doesn't help the situation.. If the North Korean Army wanted to really retaliate they would launch 1000 missiles at Seoul.

This happens ever year and just political bull#. I would say it proves there are very few Brain Cells at work over there to begin with. I get it, North Korea must have the last word on everything. How stubborn are Koreans? Go over there and find out...lol. Even the damn cab drivers tell you where your going. With the current news coming from the North about their child king I would say major changes are taking place. Some of which could lead to conflict, but even the most radical North Korean is aware of famine and it's starting to effect the top levels now.. Balloons? Not the issue here at all folks.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
For those claiming *it's that time of year*... it isn't

That was months back, usually during the yearly SK/USA drills/wargames. "that time of year" is around march.

We are in October, classically, NK is quiet "this time of year"

just sayin. you may need a better *damage control* meme this time, there may just be a huge power struggle either in play or soon to be in play "that time of year" won't cut it with the real thinkers, but for the casual observer it'll do just fine.

This may be a bit more than hot air

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'm thinking that the Little fat man is dead.. or arrested.

Might not be a bad thing.

Not holding my breath though.. probs just being replaced
with another blood thirsty power crazed
little beast.

edit on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:20:51 -05002012America/ChicagoFriday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Xarian6

Last week end North and South had high level talks for the first time in many years. Link

With the emperor gone missing I think you could be right that something big is going down. However, the North Koreans do like to play games with the media so who knows which is just how North Korea likes it.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Immune
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Nobody knows where kimmy is, he didn't appear at the "grand event" in remembrance of his forefathers yesterday fueling more speculation that he is sick, dead or dying. As horrible of a world leader as he is he at least provided us with stability in his insanity, his absence may create a power vacuum that could make the area far more unstable and dangerous

yes, a lot of people think it is better if he is gone. I think this would be really bad, because at least it was a stable country and you knew what to expect.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Lets see...

Questions about Kim Jong Un's whereabouts, followed by questions about whether or not he is still in power, followed by questions about NK stability, followed by a little sabre rattling.

More or less status quo, if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I don't understand why people think there has been a coup. The guy is the leader of NK, I don't think he cares if the world knows what he's doing all the time. He prob just got injuried and is recovering with a few ladies.
edit on 10-10-2014 by Ancient Champion because: Forgot a word

top topics

join