It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 out of 10 bank websites vunerable to hacking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Be careful what information you send online to your bank, it may be hacked!

Fraudsters have used a clever web-programming trick to turn a legitimate banking site into a tool for stealing account information

www.newscientist.com...

Researchers at UK-based web-monitoring firm Netcraft received emails claiming to come from Suntrust that ask customers to verify their account information using a link embedded in the message.

But the email was not sent from the bank's own servers and the web page it linked to contained extra characters in the URL address line - added on to the bank’s legitimate web address.

With hackers getting more and more clever this kind of fraud will likely effect us all at some point. One more reason to make sure you know exactly where you are sending your information online especially where money exchange is involved.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by jeeze louise]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
No surprise here, I've gotten plenty of emails from banks I don't even deal with saying I need to update my password. Something people should remember is to always opt for SSL connections when doing online banking (url would look like www.mybank.tld...) to ensure a proper connection, as SSL is far more secure than a normal HTTP connection. Also if you see a funky url like www.mybank.tld...@some.other.address.tld beware, its using the @ redirect to aim you elsewhere and is almost definately a scam, thought Firefox 1.0 seems to recognize this and give a nice little warning popup.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I would never use online banking as it is setup at this time. I am involved with networking and have studied computer security. There are just too many ways to gain access to someones online banking for me to use it.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
I would never use online banking as it is setup at this time. I am involved with networking and have studied computer security. There are just too many ways to gain access to someones online banking for me to use it.

Well I use it every day and have done so for the last 2 years - never a problem, never been hacked.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Not yet anyway. But the potential is there. I am not saying everyone will get hacked but it is relativley easy to install a key logging application on someones computer thus being able to access thier online accounts.

top topics

join