It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstoppable magnetoresistance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
((Did a search and got no results))

This image shows the crystal structure of WTe2.

Ali applied a magnetic field to a sample of WTe2, one way to kill superconductivity if present, and saw that its resistance doubled. Intrigued, Ali worked with Jun Xiong, a student in the laboratory of Nai Phuan Ong, the Eugene Higgins Professor of Physics at Princeton, to re-measure the material's magnetoresistance, which is the change in resistance as a material is exposed to stronger magnetic fields.

"He noticed the magnetoresistance kept going up and up and up -- that never happens." said Cava. The researchers then exposed WTe2 to a 60-tesla magnetic field, close to the strongest magnetic field humans can create, and observed a magnetoresistance of 13 million percent. The material's magnetoresistance displayed unlimited growth, making it the only known material without a saturation point. The results were published on September 14 in the journal Nature

Electronic information storage is dependent on the use of magnetic fields to switch between distinct resistivity values that correlate to either a one or a zero. The larger the magnetoresistance, the smaller the magnetic field needed to change from one state to another, Ali said. Today's devices use layered materials with so-called "giant magnetoresistance," with changes in resistance of 20,000 to 30,000 percent when a magnetic field is applied. "Colossal magnetoresistance" is close to 100,000 percent, so for a magnetoresistance percentage in the millions, the researchers hoped to coin a new term.
Unstoppable magnetoreistance

They wanted to name it "ludicrous" magnetoresistance in tribute to Mel Brook's "ludicrous speed" in the movie "Spaceballs" and even gave Mel Brooks acknowledgement in the article but other lab members sucked and vetoed it. They tried again for "Titanic" magnetoresistance but the Nature editors didn't like that and "steered" them towards "large" magnetoreistance.

A great breakthrough and I can't wait to see it applied to technology
edit on 9-10-2014 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Great post. Does anyone have any ideas what other applications it might have besides computer applications? It does seem to be a major breakthrough in the properties of materials but I'm at a loss to know where it might be useful. My best,

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: airforce47

All I can think of is a sound system, using this magnetism to cancel out extra frequencies. With no saturation point, this would be best in a subwoofer, as bass can get really muddy/ugly really fast.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Lynk3

The original article on physics

m.phys.org...

Says that it could make for better scanners

I'm thinking emp protection materials

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Lynk3

I am just guessing but I would think there could be some safety application in housing rail guns, or stealth(hiding electronic signatures).

I just wanted to add this really cool link for all kinds of questions regarding magnetic fields/gravity.

helios.gsfc.nasa.gov...
edit on 10-10-2014 by QuietSpeech because: added content

new topics

top topics

join