It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Spending $ To Study Why Obese Girls Get Fewer Dates

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

“Mounting evidence demonstrates that weight influences intimate (i.e., dating and sexual) relationship formation and sexual negotiations among adolescent girls,” the study’s description says.

The researchers posit that obese girls just don’t have the social skills that non-obese girls do, and that — not their weight — is what causes the differences, and they aim to prove it scientifically.

Please. Like it or not being obese is not seen as attractive by the vast majority of people. Is that a bad thing? I don't really think so. There are a number of reasons why biologically we would not be attracted to obese people. The health issues, the mobility issues, the mental issues...

I think it's very sad that people struggle with weight and the shame that goes along with it, but what is the point of this study? It just seems so blatantly obvious that the problem isn't about social skills but what's attractive. Sure people who are overweight probably are going to tend to be a little more shy and self conscious, but lets not just gloss over the fact that in Western society skinny and fit are considered the beauty standard.

I also fail to see how spending almost 500,000 dollars on this is a good use of our money. Or anyone's time. What about short men? I'm guessing short guys get fewer dates. Doubt that's because they lack social skills.

Link

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Nobody wastes money quite like good old Uncle Sam. Like it or not, (as you said) we already know obese girls get less dates and we know why. They could have gone to the mall and eavesdropped on the teenage boys there "people watching" and could have gotten honest information for free. But noooo.... We have to keep funding dumbassery.

Maybe they should do a study on how many ignorant studies can be done before someone nuts up and asks WTF is wrong with this picture.

It may not be PC, but obese girls have never been chased after like smaller girls. It is what it is and a study isn't going to make it any more PC than that. They are paying in essence to blame the lack of want on something other than weight, because that just isn't acceptable in today's standards. People like what they like. Some folks like big women (I like a bigger man), the majority doesn't seem to.

For those who can't accept that....

edit on 10/9/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I would have told them the problem for a mere $100,000.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Yeah I have to agree. The lack of social skills is a symptom of low self esteem, which is a symptom of being obese and knowing you are considered unattractive by the majority.

Just another feel good study that says nothing about reality.

link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I would have told them the problem for a mere $100,000.

I would have gladly seconded your opinion for a mere $50.00. I'm cheap that way.

link   
a reply to: Domo1
Inquiring minds want to know Domo.
Sounds like this study should be added to this list. I'm sure glad we have people studying these things. What would we do otherwise?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm willing to bet that girls with bigger breasts are more likely to get a date than their smaller chested counterparts. I'd even be willing to do a study on bigger breasts for free.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Why would you link that? You jerk! My eye started twitching.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni
Well #!. Don't ''obese" girls tend to have bigger breasts? Now what?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Do you require a research partner?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
I'm willing to bet that girls with bigger breasts are more likely to get a date than their smaller chested counterparts. I'd even be willing to do a study on bigger breasts for free.

I am pretty sure I have seen a study that shows big breasts reduce IQ. So I dont know if you will be able to handle all the sciencing required.

On a more serious note it was pretty interesting that when speaking to a beautiful woman a mans blood rushes from the frontal lobe to the base instinct center of the brain. Women are less affected by this if recall correctly.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I find the contrary to be true of obese girls (and guys, for that matter). They generally have very keen social skills. Not being able to attract the attention of others simply by walking in front of them forces a person to actually think and figure out a way to make contact.

In any case, of course obese girls have a harder time finding dates! How many research studies does it take to find common sense?

Oh, that's right they aren't looking for cents, they're looking for dollars.

Go science!

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: kalunom

I find the contrary to be true of obese girls (and guys, for that matter).

Agreed.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: kalunom
I find the contrary to be true of obese girls (and guys, for that matter). They generally have very keen social skills. Not being able to attract the attention of others simply by walking in front of them forces a person to actually think and figure out a way to make contact.

In any case, of course obese girls have a harder time finding dates! How many research studies does it take to find common sense?

Oh, that's right they aren't looking for cents, they're looking for dollars.

Go science!

I'd say that can be true but obese individuals are more likely to become reclusive and inward instead of sharpening their social skills. In my humble opinion of course.

Don't get me wrong I know a few extremely charismatic fatties but it's definitely not the norm from what I've seen.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Mounting evidence demonstrates that weight influences intimate (i.e., dating and sexual) relationship formation and sexual negotiations among adolescent girls,” the study’s description says.

I almost spit out my coffee when I read this, obviously I read it the wrong way.

Anyway social standards of beauty change with the times. The mind covets what the eyes then see and since society bases attraction on slender, athletic, energetic, healthy people it becomes the norm.
I try to stay fit for health reasons, not attracting more men, but personally do know many that just can't loose the weight after successive childbirths and then it leads to self confidence going south.

This study it seems or part of it, is going to be used as the catalyst for some type of agenda in the future IMO. Great just what we need right now.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

This study it seems or part of it, is going to be used as the catalyst for some type of agenda in the future IMO.

Do you mind elaborating a little bit? I'm trying to think what kind of agenda.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This must be the companion study to the one where they studied why lesbians tend to be fat and gay men are not.

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has awarded $1.5 million to study biological and social factors for why “three-quarters” of lesbians are obese and why gay males are not, calling it an issue of “high public-health significance.”

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

If I knew I would post it but I have no idea what our wonderful government has in store for this one. Maybe a subtext to the 'Let's move' campaign by Mrs. Obama.

Relating sex to nutrition and excersize, soon our girls will be perfect little soldierettes ready to take on the world filled with bland cafeteria food and awkward counselor talks in school. Can't say I blame her, it must be boring watching him play golf instead of leading a nation.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Can't say I blame her, it must be boring watching him play golf instead of leading a nation.

I was thinking it was going to be co-opted (I feel like I'm using that wrong) by the politically correct police.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

. . . . . . . And in other news, the US government has issued a 1 million dollar grant to determine if there is actually a difference between deficated waste matter and Shinolla.

Pictures at 11:00.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join