It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats join Republicans calling for Ebola flight bans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Now not being a US citizen I think finally some are realizing the seriousness of the Ebola situation. This has implications for all countries national well being, but is the genie already out of the bottle?

U.S. Pres. Barack Obama has steadfastly refused to ban flights from Ebola ravaged countries in Africa in spite of Americans' growing fears that the contagious and deadly disease could spread across the country.
Wednesday, a group of 27 lawmakers, including three Democrats, signed a letter urging Obama to ignore the World Health Organization (WHO) which claims restricting flights from countries where the dreaded disease is epidemic would not save Americans.

A letter sent to Mr Obama states some pretty serious language.

In their letter, lawmakers said: “[The WHO] has no duty to protect the lives and well-being of Americans, as you do. Furthermore, it has utterly failed to stem the epidemic through its own action. The responsibility for this decision is yours, not theirs.”

Finally, I wonder what will come of this and will other countries follow suit?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
On the surface this sounds like a good idea but the WHO is right stopping flights from these countries won't save Americans. How do you stop a person that has flown to Europe or Asia and then flies into America? They could fly to Europe stay there for a day or two then purchase a ticket to America Ebola would still get here because their flight of origin would show Europe.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I have a comment to add, going by the situation in Spain with the technologist who is in serious and deteriorating condition with 14 people now in quarantine, I seriously wonder with hospital cutbacks if anyone is really prepared to deal with Ebola?

Maybe they also need to impose a disclaimer on all people who leave to go help there that they will not be flown back if they do become positive for Ebola and quarantine there for 21 days before boarding any plane going anywhere, I know it is a harsh thing to say, but they made a decision that is not turning out as they thought it would IMHO.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I think they all know fully well that their own black ops are putting people deliberately on the planes and flying them into different cities one by one or group by group, at least that is what I think. Though not convinced this is ebola. Maybe TB, malaria and other things but I don't believe its ebola.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
On the surface this sounds like a good idea but the WHO is right stopping flights from these countries won't save Americans. How do you stop a person that has flown to Europe or Asia and then flies into America? They could fly to Europe stay there for a day or two then purchase a ticket to America Ebola would still get here because their flight of origin would show Europe.

Not just for Americans, I am not american, it is for humanity. I really think it is an impossible task the world is too small now thanks to international travel. I have no idea what the answer is, it seems pretty dismal at this point unless a miracle cure happens. I know right know the numbers outside of Africa are small but so were they in Africa when this all began.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

How do you stop a person that has flown to Europe or Asia and then flies into America? T

Visas.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99
So the group of soldiers flown in are collateral damage? Sent there to fight a battle they will never win? I read an article that the new containment areas are empty and that infected or suspected have dropped, but cautions for people not to take it as a sign things are improving as people could be staying away from treatment areas.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Passports are stamped at entry and exit of a country unless you sneak out (or, unless you are leaving Mexico - they are notorious for not giving you the stamp when you leave, so they can bribe you when you come back in without it).

Anyone with a passport bearing a stamp showing recent exit from the affected countries can be flagged whatever their point of departure on the airline ticket.

As far as saving Americans, I don't go with the Tom Friedan "Baghdad Bob' theory that it will not get us to zero risk, and we cannot help Africa if we stop travel. At this point, it is obvious we can't get to zero risk, but why not at least reduce it? That's like saying 'I can't get down to zero risk of a car accident by going 55mph with the traffic, so I will continue to drive 100mph on the wrong side of the road"!!!

We cna make exclusions for aid workers, the military has capacity to fly people in and out, so we can help them and stop them from coming here at the same time.

This is an issue that is not a liberal / conservative issue, and it cuts across all political lines, and Democrats know that. Why is that surprising? Democrats get sick just like Republicans do. Have you noted that MSNBC sounds the same as FOX, maybe even more angry, when talking about Ebola, and CNN is absolutely livid?? EVERYONE is at higher risk with the policies in place. The gubmint is protecting us now....Temperature screenings and a questionaire??? Did that stop Thomas Duncan? He had no fever and lied on the exit questionaire. Hundreds will do the same. WHAT A JOKE - if it wasn't so serious. These new airport screenings are nothing more than a show. And people are beginning to see that.

We need to void all passports from those countries NOW except for aid workers and medical / military personnel. We need to stop ANYONE that has recently left any area with epidemic Ebola from coming HERE - unless they are willing to spend 21 days in quarantine before entry. This will NOT stop it, but WILL slow it down, and will give us more time to get our act in order to deal with it. Economy be damned, if this virus gets a foothold in the cooler climates it will be with us forever and that damage will be FOREVER a threat.
edit on 9-10-2014 by lakesidepark because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

It's called passports. Restrict passports from those countries. Might not stop every possibility, but it will decrease it. The southern border needs to be dealt with as well.

It's probably too late for any of that now, but should still be done.

edit on 10/9/1414 by NoAngel2u because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

They're making it too difficult. No flights into US if your passport says you recently visited a hot zone area.

Well it looks like we all have the answer. How come the government can't figure it out.
edit on 9-10-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: lakesidepark
Exactly, in this day and age you can't board a plane without one, heck I can't even enter the US without one and I used to be able to just show my Birth Certificate. Would that responsibility not fall on the inflicted countries in Western Africa to enforce? People have been calling for a travel ban ever since this thing ballooned and fell in our backyard.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
IMHO, the more Ebola victims travel--the more airports they pass through--the more likely they will be exhibiting visible symptoms. And hopefully they will be taken to a hospital and not set loose into the wild--our wild.

edit on 9-10-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
They can not ban the flights !!! Next thing you know someone will have the bright idea to close the borders !! Now that will screw everything up !! Besides with the 3000+ plus troops we sent to the area they will have to come home sooner or later... Glad I was not on that detail !

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: drwill

IMHO, the more Ebola victims travel--the more airports they pass through--the more likely they will be exhibiting visible symptoms. And hopefully they will be taken to a hospital and not set loose into the wild--our wild.

You can pass thru a lot of airports in two day's time. I can get halfway around the world in less than 18 hours, done it a few times.

So yes, someone exposed to Ebola can and will get let loose into the wild until we close the southern border and stop the air travel.

This should be treated as a national emergency as Ebola is a uniquely deadly virus that is very hardy in cold temperatures, and has NEVER been loose in a cold climate, where it will remain on surfaces for weeks and months depending on the temperature, waiting to strike. It is a zoonotic virus that will get loose and become endemic in our wildlife as it is in Africa now.

Those that think our 'superior' health care system, and our 'great' sanitation practices will save us, are discounting that very FACT above (Ebola's ability to survive almost indefinitely below freezing, and for months at moderately cold temperatures, as opposed to days and weeks in the tropics) that WILL offset and OVERWHELM all of our supposed advantages.

If we don't stop it NOW, we never will.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

No because they should be screened once they step foot into another country!!!!!

Think!!!'n

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lakesidepark

You can pass thru a lot of airports in two day's time. I can get halfway around the world in less than 18 hours, done it a few times.

Let's hope it takes longer nowadays. Surely travel time will be extended with the mandatory temp checks? [But even if this procedure is carried out perfectly, no snafus, it is still imperfect.]

This should be treated as a national emergency as Ebola is a uniquely deadly virus that is very hardy in cold temperatures, and has NEVER been loose in a cold climate, where it will remain on surfaces for weeks and months depending on the temperature, waiting to strike. It is a zoonotic virus that will get loose and become endemic in our wildlife as it is in Africa now.

I read this earlier on one of your comments, and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. Wish your words could be heard 'round the world.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: whatnext21

When politicians worry about their own A$$ is when things get done in congress. (I guess since the Ebola virus is in D.C. it's just too close for comfort).

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

If they wanted to have this measure be effective, this should have happened months ago.

This is like installing smoke detectors in a burning house, in my humble opinion.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

If they wanted to have this measure be effective, this should have happened months ago.

This is like installing smoke detectors in a burning house, in my humble opinion.

What they are doing now is like spitting on a forest fire in one hot zone, while arsonists keep igniting new fires everywhere else.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
That's all fine & dandy, except it has a glaring hole in the logic.

What's to stop someone who had contact with an infected African outside of Africa, say, in Europe, from coming here? Not a damn thing. Can't tell Hans he can't come here because he was sneezed on in Berlin by someone from Liberia or some such, even if Hans is spreading it around unbeknownst. Because it's not a closed door to him. Ergo, hole in the net.

If Ebola goes all Speedy Gonzales and turns fast spreading, we're effed whether we ban folks flying out of Africa or not, because no one thought about the other routes it could piggyback into the US on.

If we're going to hyperventilate and close the doors here, it needs to be more thorough than the proverbial butterfly band-aid on a severed limb.

Just my 2 cents' worth, even though I'm not convinced this is going to be ravaging the world any time soon.
edit on 10/10/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join