It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers Ordered To Call Students “Purple Penguins,” [Online HOAX]

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
a reply to: butcherguy

Just a heads up - purple doesn't mean diddly to LGBT. In fact this one personally thinks it's hideous. Hideous, I tell you!

Thank you for that input... That is why I put that part in about "maybe I still don't". Your knowledge was what I was looking for.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1 My five year old daughter has said "call me a boy" for years now, and even made up a name on her own. She will not wear girl clothes and asks for everything "boy". She talks about her "girl friends". The school is required by law to support this and not in any way shape or form make her feel bad about this and respect her right to be a "boy". They had a meeting with me after her first day, and I was like "she's a girl who wishes she was a boy, honestly, I don't care if you call her a girl, but she might not like it." It's confusing to me, but she understands when she can be a "boy" and when she needs to back burner it for whatever. She's a smart kid. But I would not blame the school. I would blame the people who make the laws, and the people who sue the heck out of everyone. The school is doing what it has to .. to protect itself.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I just started homeschooling my daughter - she would be in the 8th grade this year.

She goes to a one-day-a-week co-op class taught by other parents, and I have sat in on a few of those classes. I noticed that some of the kids are bad about just blurting out things, interrupting the teacher, while other kids raise their hand. I can tell which kid has spent some time in school and which kid probably never went to public school in his life. I can see what you mean about homeschooled kids being obnoxious. Being cognizant of that, I make sure my daughter understands the concept of rules, manners and respecting others.

I also went to public schools all my life (in the 70's), and I feel strongly that I was totally NOT prepared for the critical thinking skills needed in college (and in life). As a result, I really struggled my first couple of years in college. I was taught to memorize in public school, but not to think critically. I went to a supposedly "good" school district in the suburbs too. Maybe critical thinking just didn't come naturally to me, like it might to other people - but I sure never got any practice at it in the public schools I went to.

I could see my daughter going through the same school process that I went through, and I wanted to help prepare her better for college. I don't want her to go through the same stress I went through those first couple of years.

So, that's my reason for homeschooling. The purple penguin thing - meh, not a big deal to me.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This is yet another monumentally stupid move, by what used to be "public" schools.
Politically correctness at it's most idiotic.

With so many parents choosing home school, or the ever growing online schools, can you imagine how completely different the public school child will be in 20 years, compared to the homeschooled?

LOL, I can just imagine those two 18 year old's meeting for the first time.
edit on 10-10-2014 by chiefsmom because: clean up

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
My son attended public schools up through 4th grade (all my other older children attended public schools all the way until they graduated HS. My oldest is almost 30 now with 2 of her own that are now in school).

He's being home schooled now because of the bullying that was going on, and nothing being done about it (can't punish students for doing that you know, we must have there there for the all mighty PASS testing). And not just being bullied by students. He got in trouble for drawing a solder with a gun, and talked about suspending him.

Excuse me? You're going to suspend him for drawing that, when he was asked to draw a picture of someone he considers a hero, and yet you give the kid who gave him a black eye a pass????

I'm a registered adult leader with Cub Scouts. I have boys from all walks of life. Many, who DO go to school, do not raise their hands, and blurt out things too. Many, who DO go to school also act "obnoxious".

It should not be the school that teaches manners.

That should be the parent's job. At least that is who taught me manners, and I in turn have been the one to teach my kids that.

I went to school in the 70's/80's. K - 4th here in public schools. The rest was over seas at DoD schools. I graduated high school in Naples,Italy. No one really worried about how boys and girls were dressed. No one was worried about someone drawing a gun. And the teachers seemed more worried about making sure the students understood the subjects being taught. No one was busy teaching a PASS test.

Being a small graduating class, I've been able to keep up with most of them over the decades since. Most of them are quite successful in life and doing well.

However most of us that had kids noticed that we all seemed to have to step in and be more involved in our kid's schooling. More than just helping with home work. Even worse: some of us have grandkids now, and we've noticed that our children are having to step in even more than we had to with their kids.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ParanoidAmerican

Republican's do hold a 5% voter edge, however Lincoln is well known as being the Blue stain in Nebraska's Red state. The majority of Lincoln's leadership positions are currently held by Democrats, even though everything is suppose to be nonpartisan. The City Council has a Democrat edge and the mayor is Democrat as well. This is the second of two very out there things the school system has done this year. Here is the horrible bullying pamphlet sent out by a Lincoln school last school year. HERE
edit on 5amFri, 10 Oct 2014 09:05:05 -0500p05969 by warpig69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
How'd lunatics get in control of everything? Serious question
Drug tests should be issued for all people in the public school system. I bet THEN we'd get to the bottom of this odd behavior and odd rules they're coming up with. gee whiz

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

We home school our son because he went to DoD schools. When we came back to the states, he was so far ahead of his public-school contemperaries that it would have hurt him educationally to put him into the school system.

As it stands now, he's 11 and doing 7th grade level work now.

We actually have to slow him down so he can "graduate" at 15 instead of 13.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The genders are biologically different. treating children as gender neutral goes against fact for the sake of not offending someone.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Not that the actual facts will deter any of you from your Regularly Scheduled Political Tirades (TM) but ...

From the Nebraska Watchdog website ..

Irving Principal Susette Taylor told the Lincoln Journal Star she held a staff session on the issue, and the handouts were given out by a staffer on a “district equity team.” She said they were meant for teachers, not students or parents, and were suggestions, not rules, on how to make students feel comfortable.

Emphasis mine.

I.e. This hasn't been implemented by the School District, it's not part of a globalist-progressive-communist plot to regender all children everywhere, etc. It was provided to teachers as training material, and "purple penguins" was only one of several phrases that were suggested, obviously for younger students who might find it amusing.

So much for pesky facts ... please continue with your enlightened dialogue on the matter.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Still picking up jaw...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
That's it I'm home schooling! I refuse to let these idiots near my children. First they come out with this insane common core crap, then boys/girls can use whatever restroom they choose, now you can't refer to boys as boys or girls as girls??!! I can't spank my kids because they call that child abuse what the hell do you call this? My son is 3 he knows he's a boy, my daughter is 2 she knows shes a girl already. I'd honestly end up in jail over this crap. For the love of God!! Stay away from my children!!
edit on 10-10-2014 by dthwraith because: (Typos)

edit on 10-10-2014 by dthwraith because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
As a trans man, I find this a TERRIBLE idea. Yes, there are many people who do not identify with any of the two binary genders, true. However, they do identify as PEOPLE. Not as purple penguins. If anyone sees themselves as a purple penguin, they need professional help. STAT.

We should not be banning gender as a whole. We should be working on how society sees gender roles (especially since most western cultures tend to be sexist) and teaching people what gender identity is, so that they can respect trans people. Simple as that.

Purple penguins... pfff... what were they thinking? Are the kids supposed to see themselves as distant cousins from Barney, the purple dinosaur?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: LukeDAP

I used to call my daughter "pumpkin" when she was little. I don't think it confused her or made her think she was not human.

This is really sooooo not a big deal.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Isn't "pumpkin" a term of endearment, though?

I do agree that it's not a BIG deal, but if that's supposed to "help" trans kids, I believe it'll have the opposite effect. It'd certainly not have helped me, anyway... I can only speak for myself, of course.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Well it was a stupid suggestion (crap, I forgot I'm not supposed to say stupid).

Most of us understand that it wasn't meant for parents and students. Its supposed to be a behind the scenes thing commonly known as brainwashing.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TycoonBarnaby
a reply to: tadaman

As I edited in above, I agree with you (and the author of that source) that Common Core is completely terrible (especially for mathematics.) I also have a PhD in Mathematics, and trying to justify going along to continue doing what I have enjoyed the most (teaching,) just could not be done when I saw what was expected of me. I am simply trying to find the original source for this idea, that is all.

Could you please enlighten me/us on what exactly was expected of you? Some people still don't understand the 'REAL' side of Common Core outside of the pages of liberal bull#. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

How'd lunatics get in control of everything?

I would like the answer to that question, I really would.
Also, why do we allow it to continue, there are more opposed much more, but nothing gets done.

It's like a big joke,like let's see what we can think up next, see how much people will sit back and take, that's why I think it is all planned.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

They refer to the term 'purple penguins' as being 'gender inclusive'.
It seems to me that using it excludes gender identification.

Or even human identification.

Weirder and weirder, I'm tellin' ya.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: Gryphon66

Well it was a stupid suggestion (crap, I forgot I'm not supposed to say stupid).

Most of us understand that it wasn't meant for parents and students. Its supposed to be a behind the scenes thing commonly known as brainwashing.

You mean like the old school brainwashing that said "girl" professions were to be things like nurse, teacher or secretary - and "boy" professions were to be things like astronaut, doctor, or firefighter - and never the twain shall meet? I'm glad that kind of brainwashing went away, aren't you?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join