It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One can make the argument, that Liberia is one of the most racist countries in the world....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
From the Liberia constitution

CHAPTER IV

CITIZENSHIP
Article 27

b) In order to preserve, foster and maintain the positive Liberian culture, values and character, only persons who are Negroes or of Negro descent shall qualify by birth or by naturalization to be citizens of Liberia.

www.tlcafrica.com...

Basically only black people can be citizens of Liberia. I have never heard of this?

why do you think this is not mentioned more often?

Given the facts surrounding how Liberia came to be, Liberia is not the most racist country in the world. Try again

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

This is silly. Why do you think only people with a percentage of Cherokee, or Hawaiian blood, for example, can be a citizen of their nations? Because their nations and their holdings represent the restoration of what was taken from that group of people.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

From the Liberia constitution

CHAPTER IV

CITIZENSHIP
Article 27

b) In order to preserve, foster and maintain the positive Liberian culture, values and character, only persons who are Negroes or of Negro descent shall qualify by birth or by naturalization to be citizens of Liberia.

www.tlcafrica.com...

Basically only black people can be citizens of Liberia. I have never heard of this?

Given the facts surrounding how Liberia came to be, Liberia is not the most racist country in the world. Try again

Are you talking and then, or now?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Imagine if this were a discussion about a country that only allowed people who were white or majority white heritage - people would be going completely ape sht and the black world would be up in arms.

Because only white people can be racist.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
a reply to: Helious

Your dismissive post reeks of xenophobia if not outright racism but I will play along anyway.

"Founded in 1822 to free the black slaves of America, the Liberian constitution makes it mandatory for citizens of Liberia to be black of African descent. I am one of many white children born in Liberia to non-African parents and denied nationality and citizenship rights due to the color of my skin and roots."

thelistener-rg.blogspot.com...

My post IS dismissive but it "reeks" only of common sense. Libera is at the bottom of the list of 3rd world countries. Nobody in their right mind would want to live there by choice in this day and age if they could manage something better. As with everything, there can of course be exceptions, such as missionaries and the like but realistically, posting anything different is being less than honest.

Further more, why stop at Liberia? Why not address Muslim nations that wish to eradicate us off the face of the Earth completely? Would you say those people are racist? I'm having a hard time understanding the "point" of your thread because despite it's existence, I am intelligent enough to know that the world contains racism in every way shape and form and in many, many places takes it to the extreme.

Perhaps that is what I find amusing about topics like this. Human nature will not allow a "utopian" society to exist, not in our foreseeable future, there will always be racism in our lifetimes and if you want to make an example of an entire nation to prove a point about it.... Well, Libera is a poor choice in my opinion. Thats all.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Helious

I think the point is, it ain't us

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

Ha..Before this Ebola madness, I wonder how many Americans had ever heard of the word Liberia.

I thought Liberia was a place you went to when you wanted to check out books.

Racists.

But it is their country.

None of anyone else's business.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
When debating with radical muslims, anti-semites and anti-zionists, I sometimes mention that Liberia is a country founded on exactly the same principles as Israel.

1.Founded by freed American slaves that wanted to return to the motherland/land of origin of their (racial) culture = zionism.

2.Displacement of local ethnical populations and land grab to make place for the Liberian zionists to a higher extent than in Israel.

3.Laws that favors one racial/ethnical group (Liberian zionists) over the others (to a much higher extent than in Israel).

Then I ask them why their hate for zionism does not include countries like Liberia or Pakistan (also a zionist country founded on the same principles as Israel), or non-jewish zionist movements such as Rastafarism, but apparently only when it concerns jews. It usually results in a barrage of off-topic rants, insults and personal attacks.

originally posted by: Boeing777
It's acceptable for coloured people to be racist.

Um, that makes a lot of sense. So the other end of the stick is that only white racism is unacceptable?

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
Imagine if this were a discussion about a country that only allowed people who were white or majority white heritage - people would be going completely ape sht and the black world would be up in arms.

Because only white people can be racist.

No need to imagine. That country existed, it was South Africa. The world turned against SA with boycotts and sanctions, and forced it to change policy.

The problem here is, if you denounce racism from one ethnic/racial group but not from another, then you're nothing but a tool that pushes a political/religious/racial agenda, and you're not denouncing racism, you're simultaneously denouncing and accepting it whenever it suits your agenda.
edit on 10-10-2014 by Heliocentric because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Heliocentric

And that's what happens all over the world, every single day. Racism is a term just bandied about willy nilly and the people who are actually racist seem to slip through unnoticed.

People who get called racist - even in these very threads - generally actually aren't racist at all.

People are too scared to call people out on what they consider to be racism, unless the person is caucasian.

That's also what the member you replied to in the same post was getting at, tongue in cheek. It's only racism when it's from a white person. Heaven forbid anyone should actually, finally call out another ethnicity for their vulgar, vile, disgusting racism that is 100 times worse than anything we see from white people.

It's like this white guilt hangover from colonialism still interfering with people's brains.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join