It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One can make the argument, that Liberia is one of the most racist countries in the world....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
From the Liberia constitution

CHAPTER IV

CITIZENSHIP
Article 27

b) In order to preserve, foster and maintain the positive Liberian culture, values and character, only persons who are Negroes or of Negro descent shall qualify by birth or by naturalization to be citizens of Liberia.

www.tlcafrica.com...

Basically only black people can be citizens of Liberia. I have never heard of this?

why do you think this is not mentioned more often?

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

Because only white people are racist.

Of course kidding but unless it fits an agenda most people wont bring it up.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It's acceptable for coloured people to be racist.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: thinline

Ha..Before this Ebola madness, I wonder how many Americans had ever heard of the word Liberia.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'll bite if you can name me one white person who WANTED to become a citizen of Liberia.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Isn't racism and reverse racism so difficult to discuss without someone claiming an offense? I don't believe everyone that does is actually offended btw, I think they see something that may be construed as offensive and make so much noise...

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Helious

Your dismissive post reeks of xenophobia if not outright racism but I will play along anyway.

"Founded in 1822 to free the black slaves of America, the Liberian constitution makes it mandatory for citizens of Liberia to be black of African descent. I am one of many white children born in Liberia to non-African parents and denied nationality and citizenship rights due to the color of my skin and roots."

thelistener-rg.blogspot.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Sovereign countries can have their own laws, even if they offend our sensibilities.

From the: Wiki Page

Liberia is the only country in Africa founded by United States colonization while occupied by native Africans. Beginning in 1820, the region was colonized by African Americans, most of whom were freed slaves. The colonizers (who later become known as Americo-Liberians) established a new country with the help of the American Colonization Society, a private organization whose leaders thought former slaves would have greater opportunity in Africa. African captives freed from slave ships by the British and Americans were sent there instead of being repatriated to their countries of origin.

And their constitution: Wikipedia

Article V, Section 13 of the 1847 Constitution which states: "The great object of forming these Colonies, being to provide a home for the dispersed and oppressed children of Africa, and to regenerate and enlighten this benighted continent, none but persons of colour shall be eligible to citizenship in this Republic." The phrasing "persons of colour" was changed to "Negroes or persons of Negro descent" in a 1955 revision.

I guess I can kind of understand as former slaves why they don't want any white citizens...

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton
Much of the slave industry was run run by black africans, particularly in Africa. Actually it still is, since slavery still exists in africa.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

It's racist but it's not effective racism. Therefore it is not very relevant.

Authoritarians, in control, hating on certain subgroups because of skin color is effective racism. It is very relevant.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Tucket
I wonder how many Americans had ever heard of the word Liberia.

Growing up it was in every basic 6th grade geography and history book, complete with the story about how it was populated with EX-slaves from America. My 18 year old daughter had it in her middle school history class as well. It's pretty basic stuff ...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I am at a complete loss about African countries like Liberia. The aid that goes into Africa and these poorer countries seems to do precious llittle to drag them into our current century.

Liberia does not have any public toilets so the beach is the place to go. With this type of backwardness its actually a country I would be amazed if any one from a Western country wanted to go there to live.

However I do think that Liberia has the right to decide to keep its policies whatever they are. In fact I think its the West that has sold out on its policies to some weird and useless PTB who wanted fast economic growth and near slave labour by allowing mass immigration without any checks on people's background, especially when they barge in. Personally I have never liked the idea of a multicultural soup or believed in camedron's big society which he especially is not an actual member. Further nobody has ever been consulted by this high-handed policy that has made the british workers out to be lazy and useless often through a deliberate governmental lack of investment in further education for people out of work and also basically robbed many countries of their skilled labour forces which they needed for their own people and country's future.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
It's pretty basic stuff ...

Well, youd think so..

The best part was where one of the girls answered "Africa" when asked what the largest country in S. America was

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Reverse racism?

Racism is racism.

It doesn't matter who is doing the hating be they black, white, yellow, red, or what have you.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: thinline

Ha..Before this Ebola madness, I wonder how many Americans had ever heard of the word Liberia.

Plenty, since they founded it.
Wiki - Liberia

From around 1800, in the United States, people opposed to slavery were planning ways to alleviate the problem. Some abolitionists and slaveholders discussed the idea of setting up a colony in Africa for freed African-American slaves. The first ship, Mayflower of Liberia (formerly Elizabeth), departed New York on February 6, 1820, for West Africa, with 86 settlers.[1][2] Between 1821 and 1838, the American Colonization Society developed the first settlement, which would be known as Liberia.[3] On July 26, 1847, it declared its independence.[4]

Wiki - Monrovia

In 1816, with the aim of establishing a self-sufficient colony for emancipated American survivors of slavery, something that had already been accomplished in Freetown, the first settlers arrived in Africa from the United States, under the auspices of the American Colonization Society.[5] They landed at Sherbro Island in present-day Sierra Leone. The undertaking was a shambles and many settlers died.

In 1822, a second ship rescued the settlers and took them to Cape Mesurado, establishing the settlement of Christopolis. In 1824, the city was renamed to Monrovia after James Monroe, then President of the United States, who was a prominent supporter of the colony in sending freed Black slaves to Liberia and who saw it as preferable to emancipation in America.[citation needed]

In 1845, Monrovia was the site of the constitutional convention held by the American Colonization Society which drafted the constitution that would two years later be the constitution of an independent and sovereign Republic of Liberia.[6]

At the beginning of the 20th century, Monrovia was divided into two parts: (1) Monrovia proper, where the city's Americo-Liberian population resided and was reminiscent of the Southern United States in architecture; and (2) Krutown, which was mainly inhabited by ethnic Krus but also Bassas, Grebos and other ethnicities.[7] Of the 4,000 residents, 2,500 were Americo-Liberian. By 1926, ethnic groups from Liberia's interior began migrating to Monrovia in search of jobs.[7]

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Interesting...

So lets say a Cyprus unmarried couple has a white child in Liberia... That kid is now stateless and screwed.

I hope the people of Cyprus know this before vacationing in sunny Liberia while pregnant!

edit- another problem/loophole! Is there a "Negro" gene? How would you test a child of a really dark mexican couple to prove he/she qualifies for -"only persons who are Negroes or of Negro descent"?
edit on 9-10-2014 by ArmyOfNobunaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

It's not xenophobic to say that Liberia is a sht hole and that nobody in their right mind would actually want to go there and become a citizen.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArmyOfNobunaga
Interesting...

So lets say a Cyprus unmarried couple has a white child in Liberia... That kid is now stateless and screwed.

I hope the people of Cyprus know this before vacationing in sunny Liberia while pregnant!

They would file form M121 and the Cyprus government would recognize citizenship.
cyprusembassy.net

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I wonder how many Americans had ever heard of the word Liberia.

Growing up it was in every basic 6th grade geography and history book, complete with the story about how it was populated with EX-slaves from America. My 18 year old daughter had it in her middle school history class as well. It's pretty basic stuff ...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Not anymore it's not. Now they teach islamic history and beliefs.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now our kids are stupid as rocks, but gettin' their religion learn on.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Let's blame Liberia for their problems just like we blame blacks in America. For the record America only allowed landowning white males to be citizens at our inception. But we've moved on while these dumb Africans stubbornly refused to.

Awful thread in my opinion. We already excuse ourselves of culpability often enough without needing any more help in doing so.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join