It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Latest Cannabis Science The Mainstream Media Doesn’t Want You to Know

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: addygrace

What does help with withdrawal, is vitamins, food, exercise, and time.

:-) This is what helps with everything people are trying to fix with drugs.
Covers everything everyone one mentions in this thread, makes life happier and feel great! No need to drug yourselves.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: primus2012
Wow - talk about painting people with a broad brush due to one's own biased, judgmental opinion.

I live in Washington state and, although we do suffer from extreme liberalism here, we have managed to get a couple of things right - such as the legalization of recreational MJ.

While I do prefer to keep some of my recreational activities to myself instead of broadcasting it, I am compelled to point out a couple of things about myself. I am going to turn 50 years old in February and, like any typical teenager growing up in the 70's and early 80's around here - I was quite the stoner. And yes, I admittedly was the kind of stereotypical Spicoli-type of kid at the time - except for the fact that since finishing school I have been employed full time for all but about 6 months of my life. 2 of those months were after I got out of the Army and 4 of those months were a self imposed break I took between jobs - living off of my savings while not taking a dime of unemployment or any other government handout.

Currently I rather enjoy my plant based relaxation after a full day's work in my accounting job. My wife (who does not use) and I both came out of stupid first marriages to people with very little ambition. When we got together we were both in debt due to the stupid choices we each made with our previous spouses, but we decided that we would destroy our credit cards and never have a credit card again. We got ourselves out of debt, had a house built in a nice neighborhood with great neighbors and a spectacular view of Mt. Rainier from our front porch, and we own 3 cars with no car payments.

Although my wife "inherited" 2 daughters when she married me, we decided after a couple of years together to have our own child (my youngest daughter) - but I made it clear to her that our daughter would not be raised by babysitters or daycare or anyone else but her and I, so we worked separate shifts for a while and then she became a stay at home mom.

So - short story long, this "dumb pot smoker" has a full time accounting job, 3 cars that are 100% paid off (2 of them were paid with cash actually), am able to provide for my family without my wife having to work and, other than my mortgage I have zero debts and also a fairly decent 401k and I am able to pay for the various great vacations we take every year - all of this while being a "dumb, lazy stoner".

And I have no doubt there are millions more like me. My "dumb pot smoking hippie" parents retired very comfortably at 59 years old and are quite avid cruisers - but yeah, we're just dumb, lazy pot smokers...

SMH

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

As an Aspie, I was prescribed it in California.

My symptoms went away. Not because I used weed as an escape but because it allowed me to become self-reflective. I was able to take stock of my behavior, my personality. The weed helped me become more sociable. Not because it made me giggle like Elmo but because it helped me realize how socializing really was.

Aspies are usually awkward, sometimes shy, often prone to depression, OCD, anxiety, etc. Nowadays I can converse with people in public without becoming anxious and panicky. My depression is more manageable (hasn't come back in years). Not because of the plant, but because it made me realize I was looking at life through a very narrow aperture instead of looking at the entire picture.

I do not want to get high, I want to be able to use my medication in peace, in a legal manner. The most addictive drugs are pharmaceuticals. I was physically and mentally addicted to both Zoloft and Zyprexa for over 10 years. Zoloft, 200 mg a day, Zyprexa 5 mg a day. If I so much as missed one dose I'd become very depressed.

Times when the pharmacy would mess up my prescription I wouldn't have the pills for 2 weeks at a time. My emergency reserves would run out due to that. So I was unable to keep food down, my sleeping patterns were wrong, my heart was always racing, headaches, zombie feeling.

Sorry but personally, weed helped my condition. Not an escape or a high, but a medicinal self-therapeutic way.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
The most addictive drugs are pharmaceuticals. I was physically and mentally addicted to both Zoloft and Zyprexa for over 10 years. Zoloft, 200 mg a day, Zyprexa 5 mg a day. If I so much as missed one dose I'd become very depressed.
Sorry but personally, weed helped my condition. Not an escape or a high, but a medicinal self-therapeutic way.

Isn't that the truth! I was prescribed "legal" painkillers years ago following a minor surgery. It's incredible how quickly one becomes addicted to painkillers and other legally prescribed drugs. My addiction at the time escalated to a massive amount of Oxycontin daily. It took a long time, but I was able to break the addiction and, as anyone who has been addicted to narcotics can tell you - narcotic withdrawal has got to be one of the more excruciating things a person can go through.

But weed...no addiction, no withdrawal. I often go without, especially away from home because I see it as something to relax at home with, and there's never any anxiety or anything bad when you don't have any.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: primus2012
It is a drug, illegal in 48 states. The people that are the strongest proponents of its becoming legal are simply interested in getting high. It is addicting and gets you messed up fast. That's why there is so much support for it. Not because it is some miracle cure-all, or great for your grandma's arthritis, but because it gets you messed up fast with little effort and frankly makes you giggle like Elmo.

It is great for the seriously ill; that should be it's only use, and since they can already obtain pot through legal measures, this argument can stop. It is detrimental to the juvenile and adult brain. And shut up about "but dude, science has proven that it actually makes you smarter...." because that is a crock of Jeff Spicoli.

Stop lying and stating the other benefits as to why you think pot should be legal. You just want to get high.

I'd rather get high than have my panties wedged so far up my arse that I'd feel a need to post something like that.
edit on 10-10-2014 by corvuscorrax because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
No, marijuana is not actually “as addictive as heroin”

You may have read this week that a new "20-year research study" on marijuana use "finally demolishes claims that smoking marijuana is harmless," and has found that it "makes you stupid," that "smoking marijuana over the long-term can develop cancer" [SIC], and that marijuana is "as addictive as heroin." At least, that's what you'd conclude if you'd read most media coverage of the study. But if you'd actually read the study yourself (which I highly recommend!), you'd likely walk away with very different conclusions.

The paper in question is a review of 20 years of existing research into the health effects of marijuana use. By design, it doesn't tell us anything we don't already know. The focus is almost exclusively on the effects of long-term heavy (daily or near-daily) marijuana use: "this paper deals with the adverse effects of cannabis smoking, especially the adverse health effects of regular, typically daily, cannabis smoking," the author, Wayne Hall, a drug adviser to the World Health Organization, writes.

Setting aside the alarmist accounts of the study in many media outlets, here's what Hall actually found:

Of course we all already knew that it was blatant propaganda.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Prescribed for an illness or pain management or disease? Fine, so be it. Not prescribed? Doing it illegally and need it to unwind for whatever reason or cope with reality = dumb. If you're claiming to be so successful while on pot (such as owning 3 cars woohoo) just think of how successful you could've been without it.

It is needed for the sick, but not needed for real life. It dumbs you down, is a crutch, and yes this is a blanket statement. I'm being honest. You naysayers are lying through the exhale of your doobies still.
If you don't need it for legit health reasons, then don't do it. Don't promote it.

I was not describing a teenager Spicoli. I was describing teenager-now-adult Spicolis.

Pot smoker = dumber, paranoid, far less-capable than a non-pot smoker.

Do you want your defense attorney stoned when you get busted for possession? Probably not.
How about a stoned surgeon after severing your finger while making some munchies? Definitely not!
The fireman when your house is burning?
How about the semi-truck driver who will be in the lane next to you and your family?
How about your kid when they start driving?
I could go on all day...

We reap what we sow. If we continue to sow "stupid", well the end result of such a lopsided argument is too obvious as to require elaboration.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Honestly there's many capable, very "successful" (if material wealth/prestige matters to someone) people who use weed. The same can be said about alcohol, it's a drug like tobacco and really is unneeded, but it's used anyway. I understand why you wouldn't trust a firefighter or driver who used it but I'd trust a weed-using firefighter, surgeon, truck driver over an alcohol-drinking one anyday.

But that's just my humble opinion. I expect tolerance from people over these issues but I can't be intolerant and say your views are wrong just because I disagree, you have your reasons and I respect that.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Answer this pot promoters, if you are going to be or are already a parent, do you want your kids getting high? Are you going to tell them that smoking pot is ok and that you approve? Will you share your stash with them?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

If they chose to, but not before the age of 17 honestly. I'd prefer them learning the pros and cons of it but if they chose to use it, it should be at an age where they begin to understand the short and long term effects it may have on them.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Smoking pot should be legal.

However, I can't stand to be around stoners and potheads.

That's the truth of the matter. People that don't get high, don't like to be around people that are stoned. Just like sober people don't like to be around drunks.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Answer this pot promoters, if you are going to be or are already a parent, do you want your kids getting high? Are you going to tell them that smoking pot is ok and that you approve? Will you share your stash with them?

yes yes and yes, Im no hypocrite

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Smoking pot should be legal.

However, I can't stand to be around stoners and potheads.

That's the truth of the matter. People that don't get high, don't like to be around people that are stoned. Just like sober people don't like to be around drunks.

Its not even close to the same thing. Half the people you talk to in your daily life are high and you don't even know it.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Do you want your defense attorney stoned when you get busted for possession? Probably not.
How about a stoned surgeon after severing your finger while making some munchies? Definitely not!
The fireman when your house is burning?
How about the semi-truck driver who will be in the lane next to you and your family?
How about your kid when they start driving?
I could go on all day...

all irrelevant examples. Of course we don't want our doctors stoned, but I don't want them drunk either should we make that illegal?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Why not? Many parents who drink, do the same with their kids.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Just sayin ...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I imagine, well of the govt ever gets their heads out of their hind ends, that the benefits of this plant will continue to come to light for many years.

If they would just take it off the Scheduled drug list and make it a non-controlled substance, like Advil.

Heck, Advil has more dangerous side effects than Cannabis as it is. Once there is more wide spread research and investigation of it, I truly believe people will be amazed with what it CAN do and the number of things it can treat medically, mentally, and physically.

S&F

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

a reply to: amicktd

And here we go... "You have to prove that it is harmful else I'm going to claim that it is not...."
Another tired old lie.
We all know the "dude". We know what pot does to people. We see the results of their poor life choices, like "i've got 80 dollars, should I save it for rent, or buy some nachos and get that tattoo?".
I don't need any more proof.
Pot = dumb.
"But dude, I know this dude who aced his SATs while stoned... " Yeah and now he's the cashier at the used records store in HashTown cuz he can't do anything else. He's not a doctor, lawyer, accountant, physicist, architect, etc...
He lost the desire, lacks the discipline, can't wake up on time, can't make it through the day without the one-hitter, can't be responsible with money, can't function this week because his supplier got busted and he's now suffering from withdrawal so he's looking for an alternative...yeah crack sounds nice, how bout a little meth maybe? Or that synthetic stuff, yeah lets do that....
Pot = dumb. It makes you dumber. It does not make you smarter. It is bad for your brain. It leads to bad ideas, bad decisions...always.

You are so diluted and ignorant. But, so are most internet trolls. Seems they had a study about them recently...

Did you ever consider that they guy might actually enjoy working at the record store? Maybe he would rather live a life of happiness rather than one with student loan debt, an unhappy marriage, and alcohol problems?

Many of the worlds MOST brilliant minds used Cannabis. It promotes creative thinking, among other things. Not everyone who uses it is a lazy-good for nothing bum. Just like not all doctors and lawyers are total annoying sticks in the mud.

Personality Is personality. Goals, wants, and needs are all personal choices and desires. Cannabis may enhance those desires, but your claims that it makes everyone lazy and unmotivated is completely unfounded and absurd.
edit on 10-10-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

It is a drug, illegal in 48 states. The people that are the strongest proponents of its becoming legal are simply interested in getting high. It is addicting and gets you messed up fast. That's why there is so much support for it. Not because it is some miracle cure-all, or great for your grandma's arthritis, but because it gets you messed up fast with little effort and frankly makes you giggle like Elmo.

It is great for the seriously ill; that should be it's only use, and since they can already obtain pot through legal measures, this argument can stop. It is detrimental to the juvenile and adult brain. And shut up about "but dude, science has proven that it actually makes you smarter...." because that is a crock of Jeff Spicoli.

Stop lying and stating the other benefits as to why you think pot should be legal. You just want to get high

So? Why should I not be allowed to get high for the sake of getting high?

It is after all, the closest thing to religion for me.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Apparently I need to clarify my post.

I was not saying I know nothing about marijuana or the various ways it can be ingested. I did not state my position on marijuana at all. The thread is about what the MSM doesn't want you to know. I was sharing what the information is from the American Lung Association because this image and link to their page is what I am seeing being passed around a lot on FB recently. Imagery scare tactics worked very well with tobacco, so now they're applying them to marijuana.

Now, since I purposely avoided my personal opinion on marijuana usage, I will state them now:
I couldn't care less if people partake in some recreational weed-- to each their own.

The problem I have is when people do not acknowledge that weed is NOT the same as it was 20 years ago. There are so many types and crossbreeds out now that it may not still be as safe as it was. I don't know. What I do know is that THC levels are nearly 4 times higher in the average street marijuana, and 10 times higher in the medical stuff. I also do not think it's as dangerous or as large of a problem to society as heroin and oxy are.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join