It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HIdden STD Epidemic: 110 Million Infections in the US

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: sacgamer25

How many times have i seen a young couple get married only to find out months later that one has been cheating on the other , sad really l

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
" HIdden STD Epidemic: 110 Million Infections in the US "

Looks like all the million$ and million$ of dollars spent for "education" is kaput.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

But think of all the money that will be spent on visits to the doctor and all the health professionals this will keep in work , you have to speculate to accumulate

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5

But think of all the money that will be spent on visits to the doctor and all the health professionals this will keep in work , you have to speculate to accumulate

Yup.

Lot's of money involved with "disasters" and "social problems".

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

It is a bit like the war on terror - never going to end , by the time some people find out they are infected it will be passed on to infinity , some people will not go to a doctor or a std clinic for the life of them .

And Aids carriers who sleep with people for fun

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: sacgamer25
a reply to: douglas5

Maybe loving monogamous relationships are the way God intends after all?

I would be very happy with that situation. Good luck finding it and congratulations if you do.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
My guess on why this is being hidden? The government, Hollywood, the rest of the media, and the culture in general are completely committed to the idea of sex with anybody, anywhere, as often as you like.

That side of society (or ideology, or party) would rather shoot their mothers than stand up and say that completely free and random sex should be limited. Can you imagine the outcry if they heavily publicized the health statistics concerning gay men?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

EXACTLY charles break down the nuclear family ,promote everything bad as cool to do and former things like reading books kids now call GAY ? .

It is not uncommon now to hear of young girls who have had 4 abortions by 21 , Christian values in the last 30 years have been all but destroyed .

But hopefully some young ones will look upon them and wonder at the figures

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Charles, I respect you, and I value your opinion on a variety of things, but somehow you and I end up on opposing sides on certain issues we both feel strongly about.

My guess on why this is being hidden?

Hidden? Not quite. Our esteemed OP found it, and a google search turned up numerous links. Including the CDC itself. Granted, it isn't being shouted from the rooftops, but it's all over the internet. Including blogs.

Hollywood, the rest of the media, and the culture in general are completely committed to the idea of sex with anybody, anywhere, as often as you like.

Yes actually. That's exactly right. Rampant, hedonistic, human sexuality, is exactly what this world needs. "Make love. Not war." You remember that one, I'm sure. Though religion, and the administrators of this world would prefer to keep sex dirty, with plenty of guilt and fear to go around. Anything that feels that good just has to be wrong. Right?
So instead of sex, maybe we need more war, violence, terrorists, and disasters plastered all over the damn place. Better to expose our children and young adults to large daily doses of that, than something as nasty, abhorrent, and aberrant as human sexuality.

That side of society (or ideology, or party) would rather shoot their mothers than stand up and say that completely free and random sex should be limited.

Shooting my mother might be a bit extreme, but she would have sided with you. So yes, I'm afraid she and I would have been on opposite sides of the fence as well. No, I don't think free and random sex should be limited. At all. Who the hell are we to tell people how much sex they can have? Or how many partners they are allowed to sleep with? So we're going to turn the government into the sex police now?
"Dispatch, I have a code 69 here. The suspect has exceeded his limit of sexual partners. When is the next chemical castration clinic scheduled for?..." Seriously?

Can you imagine the outcry if they heavily publicized the health statistics concerning gay men?

Do you know something I don't, Charles? Do we have a pandemic of STD infested gay men on our hands, and I've been left out of the loop? Please. Share what you know sir.

ETA: My apologies if this sounds a bit "teste" Charles. I do have some strong opinions on this, and while I don't think everyone should believe my way. I also don't believe we need to continue on with the ancient and archaic taboos we've clung to for thousands of years. Nor do I think my sex life needs policing by the public, the church, or the government. Especially since all three of them have a tendency to be hypocritical to the extreme.
edit on 10/9/2014 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Dear Klassified,

My respect for you is huge. How will I learn and test my ideas if there is no one I can discuss them with in a reasonable manner? You are invaluable for that.

My guess on why this is being hidden?

Hidden? Not quite. Our esteemed OP found it, and a google search turned up numerous links. Including the CDC itself. Granted, it isn't being shouted from the rooftops, but it's all over the internet. Including blogs.

Well, you're right, nothing is hidden any more, even many government secrets. But when the headline to the thread begins "Hidden STD Epidemic..." I thought it wasn't too far out of bounds to use the term.

Hollywood, the rest of the media, and the culture in general are completely committed to the idea of sex with anybody, anywhere, as often as you like.

Yes actually. That's exactly right. Rampant, hedonistic, human sexuality, is exactly what this world needs. "Make love. Not war." You remember that one, I'm sure. Though religion, and the administrators of this world would prefer to keep sex dirty, with plenty of guilt and fear to go around. Anything that feels that good just has to be wrong. Right?
So instead of sex, maybe we need more war, violence, terrorists, and disasters plastered all over the damn place. Better to expose our children and young adults to large daily doses of that, than something as nasty, abhorrent, and aberrant as human sexuality.

I beg your forgiveness again. Since the thread seemed to be primarily dealing with disease and health issues, I concentrated on that and didn't explore what seemed to be side issues to this thread. By the way, I love sex. Great invention. Even the Church likes sex. Maybe not with anybody, anytime, anywhere, but it's definitely a good thing.

That side of society (or ideology, or party) would rather shoot their mothers than stand up and say that completely free and random sex should be limited.

Shooting my mother might be a bit extreme, but she would have sided with you. So yes, I'm afraid she and I would have been on opposite sides of the fence as well. No, I don't think free and random sex should be limited. At all. Who the hell are we to tell people how much sex they can have? Or how many partners they are allowed to sleep with? So we're going to turn the government into the sex police now?
"Dispatch, I have a code 69 here. The suspect has exceeded his limit of sexual partners. When is the next chemical castration clinic scheduled for?..." Seriously?

Again, what appears to be a misunderstanding. I was looking at this thread as an exploration of diseases and STDs. I can explore the legal side, social side, etc. with you, but I didn't mean to be addressing that here.

Can you imagine the outcry if they heavily publicized the health statistics concerning gay men?

Do you know something I don't, Charles? Do we have a pandemic of STD infested gay men on our hands, and I've been left out of the loop? Please. Share what you know sir.

Well, I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for, but will this help? (Note that MSM is an awkward acronym for men having sex with men.)

Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) have been increasing among gay and bisexual men, with recent increases in syphilis being documented across the country. In 2012, men who have sex with men (MSM) accounted for 75% of primary and secondary syphilis cases in the United States. MSM often are diagnosed with other STDs, including chlamydia and gonorrhea infections.

HPV (Human Papillomavirus), the most common STD in the United States, is also a concern for MSM. Some types of HPV can cause genital and anal warts and some can lead to the development of anal and oral cancer. Men who have sex with men are 17 times more likely to develop anal cancer than heterosexual men. Men who are HIV-positive are even more likely than those who are uninfected to develop anal cancer.

Gay and bisexual men who have multiple or anonymous partners should be screened more frequently for STDs (i.e., at 3-to-6 month intervals). Your healthcare provider can offer you the best care if you discuss your sexual history openly.

Gay, bisexual and other MSM are at greater risk for hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and the human papillomavirus (HPV).

www.cdc.gov...

Especially considering that 1 in 4 gay/bi men are known to have genital herpes, it’s important to know what it is, how to avoid it, and what you can do about it.

gaymenshealth.org...

And from May of this year:

Syphilis, a sexually transmitted venereal disease, is rising among gay and bisexual men after being nearly eliminated in the United States more than a decade ago, according to a federal study released on Thursday.

The increase in syphilis among gay men is a major public health concern, said researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, because it indicates sexual behavior that could lead to an increase in HIV transmission.

The U.S. syphilis rate in 2013 was 5.3 cases per 100,000 people, more than twice the all-time low of 2.1 cases per 100,000 people in 2000, the CDC reported. The majority of patients with the disease, which is treatable, were men who had sex with other men.

www.reuters.com...

ETA: My apologies if this sounds a bit "teste" Charles. I do have some strong opinions on this, and while I don't think everyone should believe my way. I also don't believe we need to continue on with the ancient and archaic taboos we've clung to for thousands of years. Nor do I think my sex life needs policing by the public, the church, or the government. Especially since all three of them have a tendency to be hypocritical to the extreme.

Klassified, I think you've been very polite and I respect you and your opinions. All I meant to say was that Gay men have serious health problems which aren't as severe in the Straight male population. My comments were solely meant to deal with health issues, even though another poster thought I was commenting on the collapse of society.

I wasn't discussing any moral questions, just noting that having unlimited sex with unlimited partners is really going to cause a disease problem of great magnitude.

We good, friend?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Now who's the silver tongued devil?

Of course we're good.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: sacgamer25

Revelation 9
20 The people who survived these PLAGUES still did not turn to me and change the way they were thinking and acting. If they had, they would have stopped worshiping demons and idols made of gold, silver, bronze, stone, and wood, which cannot see, hear, or walk. 21 They did not turn away from committing murder, practicing witchcraft, SEXUAL immortality, or stealing.

It appears the bible predicts sexual plagues from which none will repent. I think it's safe to call STD's a sexual plague, and promiscuity continues to be the way for most, unfortunately. So it looks like this prophecy has come true.

Maybe loving monogamous relationships are the way God intends after all?

Considering the church has, for decades, told Christians it's sinful to use condoms, I think the church has CONTRIBUTED to the rise of STD's more so than it's helped prevent.

Abstinence only education about sex and the lack of approval of contraception like condoms have been proven to be primary drivers of teen pregnancies and STD's.

So No.

And Nobody knows what God intends at all. Men wrote those books, decided what the rules were DECADES after Jesus died. if god wanted us to know what he wanted, he'd part the skies and tell us himself.

Anything else is cruel and unbecoming of a one true god who loves you unconditionally.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I just wanted to add something that is often overlooked.

The gay/transgender community are more likely to be tested year over year for STD's including HIV infections, which is one of the reasons the statistics report higher reported new cases of STD infections among that group of people.

From a purely statistical standpoint, you are more likely to get STD's from the general population than the gay community in the world at large.

In North America and other first world regions, you could make the argument that the gay community is more likely to encounter STD's among those who practice casual, unprotected sex.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Dear tothetenthpower,

Forgive me for not remarking on, and applauding you for, an informative, reasonable, and helpful post.

The point about increased testing is valid, but it would be very difficult to put a number on it. Some have completely ignored advice on STDs and have frolicked merrily through the woods, so to speak, but we have no idea about how many. I would agree that a gay, or at least a sane gay, would be tested for STDs more frequently.

Another valuable point which you made is to step back and look at the world situation, instead of just North America. It's more difficult to catch an STD, than Ebola, so perhaps North America will not be as affected by STDs as by Ebola (as some fear).

Thanks.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

It's the dark little secret no one wants to talk about, lol. Seriously though, be smart about it and wear protection. Knowing the person your with is also a good idea.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidLucinda

What would the Pope say if i wore protection
this is the avatar of father dougal mcguire

Instead of people getting tested for drugs at work maybe they should roll out a programme checking for STDs as some people will not realise they have it , and with the numbers coming out at about 1 in 1.7 having one in America help make the country a better place rather than somewhere that should carry a health warning on entering at the airport

<< 1   >>

join