It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I stop those damn dreams?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I was a person who worked in a familiar work environment, and I retired 5 years ago.

But night after night, I get these same damn dreams that have me involved in my former work environment, usually not in charge, and mostly just not sure how to control the chaos.

Is this just random stuff, or is something trying to keep my mental power weak by feeding me dreams that emphasize my weakness?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Something could actually be someone.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

I think maybe your dream can be a reflection of an emotion or situation you find your self in often in awake life presently, that can be connected to similar feelings at your former job.

Are you currently in an awake situation where you feel powerless and out of control of your own path?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: idonthavemanyfriends

Actually many dreams. And I am not currently in a powerless situation.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

My first thought would be - Why seek to stop them?

I know that the latest science dictates that dreaming is nothing more than our minds cementing recent memories into long term storage. I just happen to disagree that this is the end all - be all of dreaming.

My opinion is that dreaming is also a function of us trying to make sense of difficult problems in our own lives. To interpret it properly you have to look past the old job and see it as a metaphor ( Well, unless you spend a lot of time wishing you had your old job back - at which point the dream might be quite literal ).

If I understand your OP correctly you had power in your old job and, in the dreams, you are unable to control the environment where you once held power. Correct?

Then the symbolism is a feeling of powerlessness where you feel one should not exist.

Is there a current analog in your real life that matches this? A relationship maybe? Finances?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Play a video game for a few hours before you sleep

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I was in charge in my old job, but this wasn't something I desired. It just came with the job.

I want some control over my dream world. Not going to happen seems to be most likely.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

You can Google "lucid dreaming" and find a ton of information about how to take control of ones dreams. Some people swear it works with a bit of practice. In my case I never could make it happen - other than a few times where it was apparently totally accidental - and once I did begin to become lucid I woke up immediately.

But that might be worth a try.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56

I was in charge in my old job, but this wasn't something I desired. It just came with the job.

I want some control over my dream world. Not going to happen seems to be most likely.

I can only help by my belief that: consciousness of actually going to sleep greatly affects consciousness and control of your dream world

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Hefficide has given you some good info, I suggest you research it.

I will try and add to it a little.

We all go through major stages in our life like, Birth, school, work, marriage etc.

All of these stages cause us great upheaval until we get used to them and accept them.

You have just transitioned from WORK to RETIRED.

I suggest you may have issues with retirement. There is not enough info here to even guess at what part of retirement you subconsciously don't like.

Remember, these are subconscious issues. They may be feelings of being over the hill, being useless, being bored, being less than you were. There are many such issues.

Try and delve into your feelings and discover how you truly feel as opposed to how you want yourself to feel.

If you are not in touch with your feelings then a good counselor or psychologist can help.

P

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

droid56,

My attitude toward most dreaming, is that it is the method by which your brain goes through the defragmentation process familiar to users of computers. Old, often bad data, gets assimilated into a collective whole for easier storage in the deep archive of your brain, where things need not make sense, or indeed be an accurate accounting of events in order to be stored and have relevance.

The answer, to this and many things, is "Screw it. Have some more Rum!"

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
But night after night, I get these same damn dreams...

Work dreams are the worst, the absolute worst!! Who wants to waste dreams on work especially if you no longer work there.

I was wondering if you are able to have lucid dreams? The reason I ask is because many people rely on reality checks to attain lucidity.

A reality check is a method of deducing whether one is in a dream or in real life.
It usually involves an observation of some sort of sensory observation, usually visual.
Most induced lucid dreams involve a reality check of some sort. A dream sign is a form of reality check that is more or less unique to the specific dreamer.

A good reality check for you would be work since your dream involves your old workplace. Reality checks have to be incorporated in to your waking life, so whenever you're at your current job take a few moments to ask yourself if you're dreaming. Do this a few times a day every day you work. After a little time passes, this may help you gain lucidity when you ask yourself if your dreaming and realize your at your old workplace.

Once lucidity is attained the possibilities are endless. You can walk through a door to change your environment, snoop through your old workplace or fly.

Other than trying to turn the dream in to a lucid dream which would allow you to leave that environment, I'm not sure what else you could do not to have that dream.

usually not in charge, and mostly just not sure how to control the chaos.

You could having the reoccurring dream because you feel like there are some loose ends that need tying up from something you did in the past and that's why you find yourself at your old job. It may not even be related to your old job.

Do these dreams happen before any specific or upcoming events happening in your life? Your subconscious could be "future tripping" that you may have no control over the outcome of an upcoming event that may cause you to spiral out of control. Especially if something like that has happened to you in the past.

Just some ideas

edit on 9-10-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
this is a shot in teh dark, but i would try meditation.. and try releasing yourself from the bondage of earthly possessions.

i think the dreams are stemming from the long time you spent working at one specific place just to live in today's world. If you free yourself from that thought process...regardless of still having to do it or not.. you can rid yourself of the dreams i think. you don't have to have such emotional and mental connections to something you do or did, but a lot of times they will stick with you like skeletons in the closet... that being said, it's all mostly probably subconscious(skeletons)..which is why you'd need to meditate to get rid of it and pay your dues.. even if it is just mental.. you might not even have to meditate traditionally.. i do most of my meditating while driving or doing art...I'm a multitasker when it comes to meditation. maybe just go fishing.. relax on the hammock.. spend more time alone.. reflecting.. resolving anything you might have deeply embedded you didn't even realize was there.. you could even be harboring resentment(which is what it actually sounds like the dream is interpreting) whether or not you realize it. the mind is extremely complex like branches of a tree all held together by a trunk with convictions, held in place by its only way forward digestive roots, synonymous to the static eyes of its foliage.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Revisiting old environments is a normal feature of dreams. They fade as the time when you were in that environment gets further away.
Frustration is also a normal feature of dreams. Perhaps it reflects the fact that the sleeping body is immobilised.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
droid56
I found your post interesting, I too often dream of working, and like you it is hectic and a running to catch up type situation. Sometimes I wake and the stress is just like when I had such a time at work for real. At least you know you are not alone, although I have no clue what it means.
edit on 9-10-2014 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Walk back into the place you used to work and yell as loud as you can "I QUIT"!
That should do the job.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
i wish i dreamed or could remember dreaming i think i only have had 8 or so dreams in the last 5 years that i can remember , i go to sleep then wake up and that is it .

i can remember dreaming when i was younger but not much in the last 15 or so years ,but i feel like i am missing something out of my life ,most people can remember dreaming why not me

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Lyrica... Great for dreamless sleep.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Why not take advantage of the situation? Before sleeping say a personal mantra about how you no longer work there, and if you find yourself back at work then you know it is a dream. Lucid dreaming=fun.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
They have you workin' in your sleep too? Damn! They trained you good.

I think your body gets so used to a routine that it's withdrawing from the monotony.

top topics

join