It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Production-Ready Aeromobil Flying Car To Debut This Month: Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

While the practical challenges to a flying car are myriad, Slovakia's Aeromobil has steadily tried to overcome them. The company plans to unveil a production-ready version of its 'Flying Roadster' at the Pioneers Festival in Vienna, Austria on October 29.

The latest version—Aeromobil 3.0—is the result of continuous work by designer Štefan Klein that dates back to 1990. The Aeromobil 2.5 prototype made its first flight about one year ago.

That prototype consisted of a steel chassis and carbon fiber body, weighing about 992 pounds empty. Power came from a Rotax 912 aircraft engine like the one used in the other modern flying car of note, America's Terrafugia Transition.

Production-Ready Aeromobil Flying Car To Debut This Month: Video

Not really much to add right now to this other than if this actually works as well as they hope it will be awesome. I'm sure it could cause some issues with mechanical failure and drunken flying ect. Still a very cool idea we all have been thinking about.

In airplane mode, the Aeromobil has a 27-foot wingspan, and drive is switched from the rear wheels to the propellers via controls in the cockpit. In flight, Aeromobil says its flying car can reach a top speed of 124 mph and achieve a cruising range of 430 miles. On the ground, top speed is 100 mph and total driving range is roughly 310 miles.

-SAP-

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I'd say that's more of a "plane you can drive to the airport" than an actual flying car.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Reminds me of the old 1949 Aerocar... (wiki link)

Wonder if it's any more practical this time?

Seems like it would be difficult to meet highway crash safety standards while conserving enough weight for flight.

edit on 9-10-2014 by Elton because: added stuff.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Cool as it is, the problem with these designs is it isn't practical in congested areas......take off and landing space......can you imagine trying to land into work during rush hour. These are wonderful toys.....but unless we actually get a vertical take off concept working that is viable or infrastructure to support this type of craft.....never be more than fancy, and i'm sorry to say that....cause it is really cool.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I can only imagine some of the worlds airports of the world even trying to have 100 of these things take off and land with modern passenger aircraft.
I think if there were more local airstrips, rather then airports this would work well.
But typing that made me think of all the terrible crashes during rush hour

nevertheless cool

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
For the idiot who has everything.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Interesting. Though flying is a whole new ball game altogether and may not be for everyone.
Unlikely that flying car will be a reality anytime soon, if at all.
a reply to: SloAnPainful

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Amazing how many dreamers make the wrong turn onto the dead-end street of flying cars.

Not a good car, and a worse airplane.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Not to mention limited customer base.

I'm not familiar with laws outside of the US, but to operate this in the US, you have to have both a valid driver's license and a pilots license.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
That is not a real flying car. That is an airplane that can drive down the road still relying on airplane physics. Sketchy airplane physics at best.

The day I can walk out of my house, hop into my car and fly down the street to the grocery store and pick up a few things, then fly over and pick up the kids from (insert kid related activity) and then fly on back home, all the while without having years of schooling and being a certified pilot. Then, just maybe then, that would be a real flying car.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

After reading a few other articles it really doesn't seem all to impressive... I got my hopes up too quickly.

-SAP-

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
double post

edit on 9-10-2014 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Look at all the idiots you see driving on the highways every day. Now, does it seem a good idea to allow those idiots to navigate in three dimensions? The carnage would be epic.
edit on 9-10-2014 by Cohen the Barbarian because: afterthot

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Will they provide training for those that cant fly...I am pretty sure that this would not be driven (in the sky) as you would a car.

And never let enyone learn if they say they dont need to know how to land

Awesome invention though, but not practical becasue of take off and landing distances, when they develop a vertical take off & landing as mentioned before, then I want one for sure!!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
It looks awesome and is nearly ready for production.

Here it is :

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Did you notice the rudder cable hanging loose under the fuselage?

I'm not sure I would trust just extending the wings and taking off... a serious pre flight check would be needed by an engineer!

Korg.

top topics

join