It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found this on BBC News - White woman defends black man from US police

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
What difference does it make if she was white and he was black?

One person defended another persons rights. Good for her!

Quoted for truth!

but but but

The cops were 'Black'

gasp...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: choos

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

police find a man with two bags (remember burglary), possible suspect.. nothing wrong with that

I wonder how many white men were walking around in the vicinity with bags?

And you find nothing wrong with this?

and how many people were walking about the vicinity with bags?? the police believed they were looking for a suspect in a burglary.. they found someone carrying bags..

Isn't that what I just said?

This is DC we are talking about. I'd estimate that 85% of men around here carry at least some sort of "bag". Work bags, briefcases, book bags, man purses, grocery bags etc. (we have to pay $0.05 for every plastic bag at the supermarket). I carry two bags to work every day.

So yeah....a lot of men carry bags in DC.

what were they supposed to do??

Not single out a black man carrying work bags maybe?

let a possible suspect walk away without questioning them?? then they wouldnt be doing their job.. or do you expect police to magically know what everyone is carrying inside their bags?

Once someone shows you that they are not the thing you are looking for then go on your way. Why does a white woman lawyer have to step in at all if the man is innocent? Because he was "loud and belligerent"? Well, 95% of black people in DC are "loud and belligerent". Should we be stopping and frisking them now too?

edit on 10-10-2014 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
What difference does it make if she was white and he was black?

One person defended another persons rights. Good for her!

Quoted for truth!

but but but

The cops were 'Black'

gasp...

Are you saying that blacks don't wrong other blacks?

Look into the whole slavery thing.......I'll give you a hint *the white people weren't the ones selling the black people into slavery to begin with*

It's ok. We CAN all admit it. He was singled out because he was a black man in a predominantly white neighborhood. There is nothing to refute about that.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Are you saying that blacks don't wrong other blacks?

Look into the whole slavery thing.......I'll give you a hint *the white people weren't the ones selling the black people into slavery to begin with*

No I'm not saying that

But thanks for attempting to portray me as being ignorant to the well known history of slavery and imply that's what I meant.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

If the truth was that race did not matter, why did you state the cops were black?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just stating that even black people stereotype black people. It's not just a white thing.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   

If the truth was that race did not matter, why did you state the cops were black?

I was pointing out that this wasn't really a 'Race' issues, but rather, a case of the Police making assumptions rather than checking facts. People tend to be killed when the Police fail to take proper procedures.

I'm just stating that even black people stereotype black people. It's not just a white thing.

You honestly think people don't already know that?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Now that is how you talk to the police!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   

and how many people were walking about the vicinity with bags?? the police believed they were looking for a suspect in a burglary.. they found someone carrying bags..

Which isn't probable cause to suspect this man is the burglar, if there was one. Don't people carry bags every day? Did they see him exit the location? No. They weren't even in the right neighborhood - incompetent.

what were they supposed to do??

let a possible suspect walk away without questioning them?? then they wouldnt be doing their job.. or do you expect police to magically know what everyone is carrying inside their bags?

They can question him...but as Supreme Court Justice Byron White once said, you can question, but you cannot compel an answer. And failing to answer can in no way be taken as a cause for arrest. Just one of the little guys, you know, a Supreme Court justice commenting on Terry. Also a deputy AG for the US. I'd guess he was acquainted with the law.

I guess, of course, they could get a warrant to search the bags. But without one, and without seeing him exit the building, and having no other reason to connect him with the burglary, and being in the wrong place to boot, I'd guess they had no legitimate cause to look in the bags, nor arrest him, nor compel him to answer.

eta: since when confronted with a recording and a lawyer whose testimony they'd have trouble impeaching in court, they fled, I'd say that pretty much tells you that they were sure they were in the wrong.
edit on 10-10-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Which isn't probable cause to suspect this man is the burglar, if there was one. Don't people carry bags every day? Did they see him exit the location? No. They weren't even in the right neighborhood - incompetent.

the article says they were on the wrong street not neighbourhood..

i dont get it.. how are the police supposed to do their job when they are called to look for a burglary suspect when they are not allowed to question people carrying bags that happen to be in the area??

They can question him...but as Supreme Court Justice Byron White once said, you can question, but you cannot compel an answer.

they did question him.. and he got loud and boisterous.. whatever that means.. it could have given the police a reason to suspect him more so..

getting loud and boisterous is sort of an answer..
edit on 10-10-2014 by choos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

i dont get it.. how are the police supposed to do their job when they are called to look for a burglary suspect when they are not allowed to question people carrying bags that happen to be in the area??

I get it. How about showing up at the original address to verify that a burglary HAD taken place first? Remember......this was a false alarm and not a neighbor reporting a suspicious black man entering the building and leaving with two bags.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I get it. How about showing up at the original address to verify that a burglary HAD taken place first? Remember......this was a false alarm and not a neighbor reporting a suspicious black man entering the building and leaving with two bags.

Yea, although an alarm went off and the police were automatically notified of a burglary, they might have been on the way when they see this possible suspect and there is also the chance that when they reach the original address, there is no one home to confirm a false alarm.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join