It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Reasons America Can Calm the [snip] Down About Ebola

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Sorry to inform you Russia definately has weaponised ebola,which probably means others have it too

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

Downplaying or making light of this disease is not a good idea.
Who is doing that?

What that means to me just to clarify. Stop all travel from the hot zone. Screening people at the borders and like another poster said getting emergency medical workers ready.
What this means is that ebola has become a yet another political hammer used to bash the current administration. And, to avoid confusion, I have no admiration for the current administration.

To be honest Phage you tend to air on the conservative side a little too much in my humble opinion.
To be honest, SubTruth, the conservative approach would be what you suggest.

Scaremongering accomplishes nothing. Reason does.

edit on 10/9/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Do you mean airborne? Impossible do some research it is just to heavy.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

And also even if they did weaponise it are you suggesting that it has been released?.
Hogwash.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: thirdcoast

I like the way you see things and I was wrong about the maturity comment OP.

That being said look at how the world and the people are reacting right now over a couple of 1st world cases. Imagine what this looks like if it continues into the 100-----1000-----10,000.

100 = Panic and school closures. People clearing store shelves and commerce feeling the pinch.

1000 = Massive panic whole towns being sealed off and the break down of services.

10,000 = Martial law and the breakdown of essential services.

I hope I am wrong this is only an assumption.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You are seriously going to ask me who is downplaying this Phage. You do watch the news right? The judge walking into the apartment wearing no protection saying he was going to wear the clothes home.

I could care less about the political side of this you are the one bringing it into the conversation. This disease could care less about politics and the people should do the same dealing with it.
edit on 9-10-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

The United States has 8 patents on ebola genetics and yes there is an airborne version,research completed HAPPY NOW?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

The judge walking into the apartment wearing no protection saying he was going to wear the clothes home.
So, you think that he thinks it's really, really contagious?

This disease could care less about politics and the people should do the same dealing with it.

I agree... I think. That sentence is a bit difficult to parse and I don't think a disease cares about much. But doesn't "could care less" mean that it cares..some?

But I sure hear a lot of noise about what the administration should be doing and isn't, so yes. It is being used as a political hammer and the only weight that hammer can bring is by enhancing the fear factor. Beyond reason.

edit on 10/9/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Scaremongering isn't what most people on here are doing. The number of threads relating to ebola are due to members concerns over the spread of this virus and the 'potential' impact it could have.

That potential impact is unknown. What we are seeing in the responses by those in charge of controlling such outbreaks is VERY worrying. It shows how unprepared and vulnerable we are as people to pandemics even when we have agencies preparing for such instances. We put our faith in them to protect society, yet they fail to handle a few cases that have emerged. Like sending a deputy Sheriff into a hotzone with no protective gear for him to enforce a quarantine.

Ebola is the stuff of nightmares, even for virologists, of course people should be keeping an eye on this, especially when we have the very people who we're supposed to trust, not only making gross errors of judgement but the honesty of information past onto us doesn't seem, well, honest.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Personally I think the Judge was trying to send a message. I am sure you got the point and writing/grammar is not my passion.

As far as the political side goes I strongly feel it should not be used as a weapon or hammer. This disease is bad enough and clouding issues with this side or that will only make it harder too fight. Like i said before panic is my main concern and the disease is secondary at this juncture.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Because the people in the US arent prepared to do what the people there in Africa have been doing......burning the bodies, burning down the homes and walking away from any home thats been infected leaving everything there..

Yeah they will call that interference from the gubberment and likely start rioting (spreading ebola more) and attacking healthcare personnel.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Care to prove that?.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Unfortunately many on ATS will ignore you and continue their fearmongering and doomsaying. The funny thing is if a vaccine were to come out for Ebola then most of the people pushing the fear now would do a complete 180 and start claiming that the Ebola hype was all a scam to get people vaccinated. Just look at the H1N1 threads to see proof of this phenomenon.

But.....there is no vaccine! There were no travel restrictions!

It really doesn't matter that anyone would do a 180 at some point in the future.....at this point.
edit on 9-10-2014 by Logarock because: n

edit on 9-10-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ProleUK

What we have seen from government officials on this matter is nothing short of malfeasance of the 1st rate.

At this point we should be very willing to believe that folks taking shots at concerned citizens are operatives involved in a very sinister plot......and/or are useful idiots of same.

Even this #zz is being politicized and race baited! If its not madness its criminal if not criminal madness.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Nice post. It's good to see the opposite of what the news has been feeding people over the last month and a half. They say "Everyone panic!" It does get tiring at some point.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

S+F

I was going to write a thread very similar to this yesterday when I saw 5+ Ebola threads on my feed.

Don't get me wrong, Ebola is a horrid disease and once your infected your facing near certain death. But estimates sit at around 4000 dead so far right?

I'll make a prediction now and state that by the 1st of January 2015 Influenza will kill at least 10 times more people than Ebola has worldwide within the last year.

If I'm wrong I'll donate everything I have including my time to curing and preventing the spread of Ebola.

If this virus is worthy of all the fear mongering then why didn't nations nip it in the bud when a few hundred were dead? Personally I fear terrorism and Influenza more than I do Ebola and I don't fear those things very much at all.

Although I have been on deaths door twice from the flu...

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Regardless of the severity of Ebola, the government and media will push the fear.

A frightened population is an easily controlled population.

Hell must have frozen over we agree on something. Beezzer is right the MSM has done nothing but try to spread fear about Ebola because it raises their rating which increases their profits. Ebola has been around for a long time and still has not mutated to the point to where people can get infected just by being the same room with someone who has it.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Ebola has been around for a long time and still has not mutated to the point to where people can get infected just by being the same room with someone who has it.

Well, we're not quite as sure of that as you suggest. There's an interesting story in [I]The Los Angeles Times[/I] that presents a variety of opinions on the subject. Here's one:

Finally, some also question the official assertion that Ebola cannot be transmitted through the air. In late 1989, virus researcher Charles L. Bailey supervised the government's response to an outbreak of Ebola among several dozen rhesus monkeys housed for research in Reston, Va., a suburb of Washington.

What Bailey learned from the episode informs his suspicion that the current strain of Ebola afflicting humans might be spread through tiny liquid droplets propelled into the air by coughing or sneezing.

"We know for a fact that the virus occurs in sputum and no one has ever done a study [disproving that] coughing or sneezing is a viable means of transmitting," he said. Unqualified assurances that Ebola is not spread through the air, Bailey said, are "misleading."

www.latimes.com...=1

I'm afraid I'm going to have to side with Doctor Bailey over you this time. If you disagree, your argument is with him, not me.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
New video. 'Fearbola'

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

I agree, for another example the H1N1 pandemic was much worse with something like 250,000 deaths back in 2009-2010.
In the US there were over 12,000 deaths and so far only 1 from ebola.

Final estimates were published in 2011. These final estimates were that from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010 approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1.

www.cdc.gov...

I was one of those that got H1N1 really bad! I felt like I was dying! I couldn't even cook Thanksgiving dinner. I made my ex go to his brother's house the state over with our daughter while I lay on the couch wavering over a bucket. I even called the hospital at one point and was told NOT to come in because they didn't want me to infect other patients. H1N1 was no walk in the park, trust me. 2 weeks afterwards, I STILL looked like death warmed over.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join