It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK survival - discuss and share tips.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: nonspecific

I think the power will just go out one day.
Many are just not geared up without electricity, heck many would just die from not being able to look at their phone every five minutes.

People used to say I was crazy when I said a CME could knock the power out world wide.

Now they have a space station thing to warn us when it's coming.

Also as per your previous post a years food is a lot, and would and have are very different things

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Gotta have the winners frame of mind If SHTF dude

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Live forever or die trying.

Thats my motto.

a reply to: boymonkey74

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
my replies to thes threads are directed at no-one and everyone

if you feel yourself taking umbrage at my comments - then I sugesst you re-appraise your own position

I am just here to inject a bit of reality to proceedings

now that's clear heres a few " obvious " facts that seem to get forgotten in these gung ho threads

1 - you are not the only peson who has thought of your " brilliant plan " - sorry to burst your bubble

2 - the owners of the boats dotting the UK marinas are VERY likely to be planning to bug off shore themselves [ heck I even made a thread on the topic ]

3 1424 square miles is only 37 miles * 37 miles from each face of the " square " its only 17 miles to the centre - a fit person will be there in one day - a muppet 2 .

4 unless actively killed - the " useless eaters " will still survive for at least 2 weeks in all but the worsrt winter condition - and they will spread from ALL population centres like a plague of locusts

carry on - these threads are always entertaining

Really? The Bielski Brothers would disagree

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I like your style, wise words.

I don't know about it being harder in the UK, ok we're a small island in comparison, a tiny island.

I'm assuming that in a real situation...one that requires people to flee the comfort of their homes would probably involve mass deaths and/or casualties...maybe there's something that could happen where everyone survives...not sure what that thing would be.

Possibly a pole shift, I don't know. Still, most of the UK is hospitable land where it would be easy to survive and adapt, there is plenty of open countryside, high land, caves etc - we don't have volcanoes, deserts to worry about. I suppose your chances if you're stateside depends on your location.

Some areas are vastly less hospitable than others...here you're not that far away from somewhere that might be safe and fertile in supplies enough for you to have a chance. Pros and cons on both sides I suppose.

The winter would be the hardest part for sure.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
FOOT HYGIENE AND GOOD FOOTWEAR,without these your stuffed in a climate like yours in short order.

Lol...are you lieutenant Dan from Forrest Gump?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Good advice, I agree wholeheartedly. I see the majortiy hitting the hills in Nike air max and trendy jeans.

Apparently clothing is how people express themselves nowadays and is such a huge part of who they are, their identity...I wonder how they'd adjust in a situation like we're discussing...quite an interesting train of thought, actually.

I wonder if people value that freedom of expression and have enough conviction to die for it, I see goths, emos, rockers and hipsters alie in waterproof ponchos, heavy combats and hiking boots.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: samerulesapply

I am a metalhead.

I go everywhere in military surplus boots, black combats, black trench coat, pretty much always carry a backpack, and when it is sunny out, I have a black bush hat to keep the sun out of my eyes.

There is no clash between my manner of dress for preference, and my manner of dress for when it all goes to hell in a hand basket.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yeah, I know what you mean. I remember exploring these places as a kid, me and my friends. Both Edinburgh and Glasgow have old underground tunnel systems from a bygone era, pretty cool.

I remember some old wasteland near when I grew up, lot's of old derelict buildings, pre-war and lot's of little underground tunnel systems and crawlspaces that were linked together...my parents used to go crazy because I suppose these areas were dangerous and attracted all sorts of crazies.

If I'm honest I suppose my friends and I when we grew out of the exploring phase and to the drinking, girls...and other adolescent behaviours phase that we became the crazies that other parents told their offspring to stay away from.

Another thing we don't have to worry so much about in the UK is wild animals, no bears, big cats (unless you believe the rumours) deadly snakes or spiders...do you think animals would become a concern to us?

I remember hearing somewhere that dogs have been known to form packs and hunt when left unattended and unfed for long periods of time...hunting other animals, even other dogs and in some cases going after people. It's something I never thought about until now, when I remembered all the rats and foxes we used to see in these dangerous places our parents tried to keep us away from.

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Hmm...well this isn't really meant to be a gung-ho thread, but I suppose it's all about perspective and that's your take on it which is fair enough.

You're probably right about a few things there. But if it comes to it you'll have a choice...do something or do nothing...I reckon most of us will try to do something to save ourselves, that's a reasonable assumption.

Another reasonable assumption is that, yes...many probably do have a plan, not all have the same plan, not all have a good or even feasible plan - and that some genuinely have no plan, no foresight and most likely believe that it will never hap[pen in their country.

This thread is for the people who either have a plan or want to have a plan, it's a place for them to share tips to increase their chances of doing so. I'm glad you find it entertaining and that's absolutely fine by me.

But your response wasn't a contribution, to be blunt it was mild mockery from atop a high-horse.

But while you and a few others are looking for entertainment, I'm looking for contributions and advice from people of a similar mindset to myself, as are many others contributing to this thread.

So thanks for that.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Packs of increasingly wild dogs, fox populations rising to meet that challenge, an increase in the rodent population due to the end of mass production of effective rodenticides, commensurate increased percentage likelihood of contagious diseases arising naturally from that, zoo animals gotten loose... There are some things to be seriously concerned about for sure.

It all depends what exactly sets us off on the path to oblivion, as to whether we will get to it,how we will arrive there, and what route we end up taking.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Nice one, I was going to bring that up at some point - best to go alone or not?

I've no close friends or family who seem to have any issues with the world and seem to think their security is guaranteed forever, or maybe they're just scared or unwilling to discuss the issue seriously.

Anyway, they think I'm a bit paranoid at times and that I care about things that I shouldn't worry or care about. Sometimes I wonder if they're right...am I just paranoid?

But in the end I always arrive at the same conclusion...I am to an extent but being paranoid and trying to prepare for something that's entirely possible seems like quite a level-headed idea to me.

Many of the things we face in day-to-day life can take us by surprise, like a sudden death in the family for example, we always wish we'd had more time with our loved ones after they've gone...we are subject to so many random external events that can influence our lives, things we can't always foresee.

The things we can foresee and can prepare for we should prepare for. It's not about trying to be rambo, going out there and stealing cars, shooting zombies or whatever, it's about surviving isn't it, basic instinct - pretty much all living creatures want to survive, even lemmings - contrary to popular belief. I don't think anyone's under the illusion that it'll be like a movie.

You seem to have put some effort into your planning so your input is greatly appreciated.

One thing I'm thinking now is this - if the cause is a massive outbreak of disease, the dreaded pandemic, would you still team up with others or decide it wasn't worth the risk making contact with other people?
edit on 9-10-2014 by samerulesapply because: Corrections

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Interesting stuff, it's amazing the things one can neglect to think about and exactly the point of this thread.

I never had any desire to own a firearm but it's quite a tempting notion...not so easy here in the UK and in my case not a likely prospect unfortunately.

Still, that crossbow over on page 1 looked mean as hell, are those things legal to own? You need any papers, permits to own something like that?

Had few criminal scrapes in the past but petty, minor stuff...common stuff around these parts, really. As an adult I've been quite a responsible person, few punchups here and there but nothing major and mostly inevitable these days.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Great thread, some very good info. I feel with defence etc it is more difficult here in the uk than the US given the strict gun laws, but maybe this could be an advantage given that when not many people are armed being well trained with a bow will give you an edge at long distances.

As mentioned earlier by some people medical issues are a big concern in my preparations. My 7 year old has hydrocephalus and has a shunt to take fluid from the brain to her stomach. She is ver intelligent and healthy other wise. However she is dependent on the shunt functioning. When it blocks or becomes infected it need replaced. In this situation im unsure what to do. If I cant reach a neurosurgeon which is very very likely due to hospitals being a no go area then should I at least attempt to train myself to do a makeshift operation. Is it better to let her suffer then die or operate and if goes wrong then she will die. Or if it works I wont have to top myself due to guilt

Horrible situation where I feel I have no control over what will happen in this scenario. But then again it cant be that hard to be a make shift neurosurgeon educated off some medical papers online

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

I don't think arming yourself with as much knowledge as you can will be a bad thing.

The more you learnt he better a position you'llbe in to guage whether or not you can do this. To be honest I've absolutely no idea on the procedure or how it's carried out. Have you witnessed the procedure?

Educating yourself as much as you can about it will be a good thing IMHO even if it turn out you can't carry out the procedure on your own, if someone else can do it then why not you?

Hopefully someone with knowledge of this subject will kick in, sounds like quite a challenge but often where there's a will there's a way and preparation is key.

At least you've thought about it and recognised it as a potential hurdle, step 1 in overcoming it.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I know the basics of the procedure, and according to the neuro its a straightforward op. It basically removing a tube from the skull fed into the brain and runs down to the stomach. Maybe I can prepare myself with the addresses of all the surgeons and go round each of them to see who is alive and give them some encouragement to do it. If not then im on my own. I think the main problem is a sterile environment and anaesthetics. Anaesthetics ive found some make shift ways and I have some surgical equipment. Just need a new shunt. Would be located at a hospital which I would acquire when I need it.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

I looked it up and read a bit about it, sounds awful but I reckon that if you had to you could do it, arming yourself with as much info as you can will give you the confidence as well as the knowledge.

Acquiring shunts might pose a problem. I'm assuming the revision is carried out in order to determine the length/width of the tube according to how much your daughter has grown. Are they made to measure type things or are there standard sizes? Can you acquire them in advance by any means?

In terms of dealing with potential infections, sterilization - if you have the right stuff you will probably be able to work through that.

But importantly, if the time between revisions is a long, extensive period and complications are few and uncommon then you've a better chance of getting though a possible situation without this really causing any problems - depending on the what's and why's of course, things might stabilize and some sort of order or community might eventually be established.

But I'd still learn as much as possible about it, educate your daughter more on the issue as you learn, it's something you both deal with and as you said, she's an intelligent young girl and two minds are always better than one.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Any guy who admits to wearing tights is badass in my books and can survive anything!

I worked on a building site, all the blokes wore tights, and if you didn't wear tights you got teased, that's right! I was only a young lad at the time and thought they were having me on. A load of filthy old builders having fun with the naive teenager...one lifted his wooly old, cement soiled jumper to reveal a set of nylons pulled right up over his stomach.

Then another one...they laughed like hyenas, awkward teenager moment, i was floored and speechless to be honest. But they were tough as old boots, stereotypical builders who you wouldn't expect to wear tights never mind admit it and even prove in such a cavalier fashion over a tea break.

It was an odd building site, there was also one who dressed like an indian chief...and there was a cowboy, and...and...

No, seriously, they were buildres and that's a true story, I never did wear tights but I would and I'll always remember that tea break as being an embarassing but rather informative one.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
My other half thinks that prepping is a way for grown ups to build dens and play army like when we were kids!

I think there is an amount of truth in this.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: liteonit6969

Great thread, some very good info. I feel with defence etc it is more difficult here in the uk than the US given the strict gun laws, but maybe this could be an advantage given that when not many people are armed being well trained with a bow will give you an edge at long distances.

As mentioned earlier by some people medical issues are a big concern in my preparations. My 7 year old has hydrocephalus and has a shunt to take fluid from the brain to her stomach. She is ver intelligent and healthy other wise. However she is dependent on the shunt functioning. When it blocks or becomes infected it need replaced. In this situation im unsure what to do. If I cant reach a neurosurgeon which is very very likely due to hospitals being a no go area then should I at least attempt to train myself to do a makeshift operation. Is it better to let her suffer then die or operate and if goes wrong then she will die. Or if it works I wont have to top myself due to guilt

Horrible situation where I feel I have no control over what will happen in this scenario. But then again it cant be that hard to be a make shift neurosurgeon educated off some medical papers online

I don't want to discuss anything illigal here buy as this is about dealing with a situation involving the breakdown of normal life I will.

There is an illegal drug that is somewhat readily available on the black market. it is used as a tranquiliser used when operating on large animals.

It is also used to sedate children for serious pain but could be used to perform field operations.

From what i understand it is not used on adults as it has halucegenic properties that adults can find disturbing but kids don't seem to mind as much.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
if your bugging out you got to have somewhere specific to head to, if you haven't you are nothing more than a refugee.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join