It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK survival - discuss and share tips.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

If that was aimed at me, I would like to point out that there is 1,424 square miles of thick wooded area, with caves, mountains, hills and water to hide amongst, with plenty of food and natural resources to choose from.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

If that was aimed at me, I would like to point out that there is 1,424 square miles of thick wooded area, with caves, mountains, hills and water to hide amongst, with plenty of food and natural resources to choose from.

now multiply that 1424 square miles of lovely land by the population of the country.....no wait let's be generous and assume 3/4 of the population dies immediately and only 1/4 are left...the population in england is 56 million odd...so we can divide that number by 4 and we still have 14 million people now divide that number of people into that 1424 square miles into that number and the place looks somewhat smaller and quite crowded...i would be interested to see how that week of survival school gets you

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

You do realise that only something like 2% of the UK's land is actually urbanised right?

55 million people in a country the size of the UK isn't an awful lot really, and besides, should shtf, what's the likelihood of that many people descending upon the lakes, it's a long way from London to Cumbria.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I think it is important to have like minded allies who could meet at a predetermined location.

I have 2 of these "Allies" at present one is a carpenter who can build just about anything out of anything he is important as he has the skills and tools to provide shelter and make important stuff.

The other is a hunter, he has air rifles shotguns and big scary sharp things. He has hunting animals, fish traps ect.

I am the wild man, foraging cooking ect.

It would be hard to survive on your own and to learn of the skills needed to survive.

I also think it is important to have plans for multiple scenarios, An initial bug out in a short term crisis, A medium duration event and having to rebuild a life permanantly.

a reply to: samerulesapply

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

55 million people in a country the size of the UK isn't an awful lot really, and besides, should shtf, what's the likelihood of that many people descending upon the lakes, it's a long way from London to Cumbria.

where exactly do you think all the people that survive in the urban city areas will go once the infrastructure breaks down and the trucks full of food stop flowing in ?

do you really think they will stay put,or do you think they will venture out in search of greaner pastures where the remaining food is ?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

where exactly do you think all the people that survive in the urban city areas will go once the infrastructure breaks down and the trucks full of food stop flowing in ?

do you really think they will stay put,or do you think they will venture out in search of greaner pastures where the remaining food is ?

I think that in an extreme situation most of them will be dead due to a complete lack of food and cater, violence and disease.

I don't imagine the average man in england would be able to survive outdoors at all. With no supplies or tools they would stand no chance.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Well, for a start, no one will be dealing with 60 million people loosing their heads. If sixty million people go nuts, then many of those people will be self cancelling factors. A significant percentage of those people will fall into one of several categories of Darwinian idiocy.

The Gangs:

Organised, and street level gangs will get bogged down in the cities, fighting over turf and the resources to be found there, not to mention battling whatever remains of the law enforcement community, who will likely fortify and consolidate around their strongest hardened buildings.

The Desperate and Incapable:

These folks will have no real survival mindset, and will do whatever they can to retain as near as they can, the trappings of civilised life, while having to loot whatever they need for food and water, rather than working at creating sustainable lifestyle plans. They will eventually run out of resources to steal, or be killed while trying to steal them from others.

The Authorities:

As previously alluded to, the law enforcement community, and the armed forces, will, dependent on their available numbers, the specific nature of the collapse, and other factors, either seek to control major population centres, and/or fortify whatever locations they deem appropriate to maintain their numbers, and attempt to continue to fulfil their duties to whatever leadership remains. There will be deserting from those organisations, as some will see the protection of their nearest and dearest, and the insanity of the situation, as grounds to abandon post. Some will see opportunity in the chaos, and become un affiliated PMCs, and rent their capabilities out to the highest bidder.

Those remaining will probably be enacting some unheard of protocol appropriate to the situation. Trying to pre-empt any action on their part would require specific intel on the contingency plan they have for a wide range of situations, all of which would more than likely be highly classified. Therefore, it makes little sense to try to plan for their activities, since one would have no idea what they would be, and doing so would waste valuable time.

When things go sideways, you have to accept a number of things. First of all, every day might be the day you die, and every plan you have may fail. All you can rely on, is your determination to do your best to avoid threats that you cannot counter, deal effectively with those that you can counter, and make the best of whatever situation you find yourself in day to day. If by some miracle you end up in a position to make a plan for the future, then included within that, must be an acceptance that even THAT plan may fail for reasons outside your control, and an ability to cope with that as well.

Seek to go to ground, but prepare to move at any time.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

You do realise that only something like 2% of the UK's land is actually urbanised right?

well i spent 8 years in a boarding school on the isle of wight when i was a young fella,i may live in australia but my family live in the U.K,my bro is in Plymouth and my sister is in bath .... i visit every few years so i have some idea of the lay of the land and the size of population

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I think that in an extreme situation most of them will be dead due to a complete lack of food and cater, violence and disease.

I don't imagine the average man in england would be able to survive outdoors at all. With no supplies or tools they would stand no chance.

^^^^.Easy Picking..

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
A little untastefull maybe but it's easy to get the 65 million percentage down to a more manageable figure

There's around 11 million under the age of 16, I'ts unlikley many of these would be able to survive in the wild.

Another 12 million over the age of 65 so thats a good 23 million people whou could not realisically survive or pose a threat to anyone who has bugged out.

approx 200,000 in the armed forces so there either out of the country or dealing with the crisis which is a good thing as these guys and gals would pose the biggest threat in a one on one conflict.

another 100,000 in prisons hopefully these guys won't escape.

A quite suprising 1 in 5 working age adults are registered disabled so would not stand much of a chance. Thats over 8 million.

Of the adults of working age over 7 million are over 55 so the proportion would be quite small.

Around 5 percent of working age adults are diabetic which would be a major drawback limiting the foods you could eat but also the need to stockpile an indefinate amount of insulin.

Theres many more factors to take into consideration, Any one who is abroad at the time, killed in the incident that caused a but out in the first place, drug addicts.

I recon at least half of the population could not bug out even if they wanted to and stand any real chance of survival.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
my replies to thes threads are directed at no-one and everyone

if you feel yourself taking umbrage at my comments - then I sugesst you re-appraise your own position

I am just here to inject a bit of reality to proceedings

now that's clear heres a few " obvious " facts that seem to get forgotten in these gung ho threads

1 - you are not the only peson who has thought of your " brilliant plan " - sorry to burst your bubble

2 - the owners of the boats dotting the UK marinas are VERY likely to be planning to bug off shore themselves [ heck I even made a thread on the topic ]

3 1424 square miles is only 37 miles * 37 miles from each face of the " square " its only 17 miles to the centre - a fit person will be there in one day - a muppet 2 .

4 unless actively killed - the " useless eaters " will still survive for at least 2 weeks in all but the worsrt winter condition - and they will spread from ALL population centres like a plague of locusts

carry on - these threads are always entertaining

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I have to disagree with your last post, I really dont see the average person heading into the woods, what could they hope to find there?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
I live in the lake district (Cumbria), enough said.

I can walk 8 miles to the nearest lake...wildlife, fruits, fish in the lakes, high fells and mountains, plenty of fresh water.

I've spent a week doing a survival course out here, it's easily done.

So what about winter? From the news on the TV, even the UK has crap winters.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Concrete? I don't think so, damn stuff draws heat, light a fire next to concrete, and it spalls when it gets hot enough apart from when its curing, concrete is always cold even colder in winter.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Plenty of sheltered caves and plenty of wood for fires. A good sleeping bag and plenty of warm clothing....womens tights are especially good for keeping the lower half warm in the fells during winter. (yes, I admit, I have worn tights when walking/camping in the fells)

edit on 9/10/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
i am of the opinion that in this situation Bugging In is the new Bugging out, get ready to hunker down, fortify and hopefully wait until its all over and enough time has elapsed for it to be safe to venture out again.

I know rampaging hoards etc etc better than the alternative tonnes of diseased masses fighting each other as no one has anything, the shops locked and empty and they were too busy watching X-factor to get some long term plans in place.

Q

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum_Squirrel
i am of the opinion that in this situation Bugging In is the new Bugging out, get ready to hunker down, fortify and hopefully wait until its all over and enough time has elapsed for it to be safe to venture out again.

I know rampaging hoards etc etc better than the alternative tonnes of diseased masses fighting each other as no one has anything, the shops locked and empty and they were too busy watching X-factor to get some long term plans in place.

Q

I think that in the southwest where I live you need multiple options, Bug out from mid spting to mid autumn, THen it can only really be bug in i think over the winter months

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If shtf how long before 80% of the populace die out? 6 months? a year? I dunno but I would have enough food and water for at least a year.
Yes I would be hard to find and yes I will survive....only after a long time would I look for other survivors.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
If shtf how long before 80% of the populace die out? 6 months? a year? I dunno but I would have enough food and water for at least a year.
Yes I would be hard to find and yes I will survive....only after a long time would I look for other survivors.

It would depened on the severity of the s and how hard it htf.

which leads me ask what people think is the most likley cause of bugging out in the uk, we all have our favorites.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I think the power will just go out one day.
Many are just not geared up without electricity, heck many would just die from not being able to look at their phone every five minutes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join