It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dragon's Age from Origins - For FREE!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

I can chalk DA2 up in part to a rushed development cycle thanks to EA. They do seem to have listened to what people were saying. For example, they scrapped the practice of writing open-ended characters in favor of writing the characters the way they are intended to be and just riding the flak wave from grumpy people angry this or that character doesn't have the preferred orientation. They also dialed back the combat and added the tactical mode back in so you can pause combat and set up your tactics ahead of time again. I used that feature a lot in DA:O to plan out an initial plan of attack; now it's back.

Only time will tell if their move toward a more open world will pay off or make the game too big.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreazel
Another classic game i want to recommend is Deus Ex , a FPS tactical shooter with sandbox elements in terms of combat and overall story development , It is all about conspiracies so i geuss most of you know it already

2nd Edit: removed

edit on 10/8/2014 by TycoonBarnaby because: genres are hard to define

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It wasn't so much the story, or the tactical mode. It was like they scaled everything back, the graphics and the world scape and scenery as well, the game was just bland especially when compared to the first game, and pretty much everything the first game did better. If it was rushed, it makes sense because from what I remember it did feel rushed, I never even bothered completing the game, after a few hours I sort of lost interest in it and literally just forgot about it, till a few years latter when I traded in a bunch of games at the local gamestore for credit on other games.

But ya on the upcoming game I think they just added aspects from both games and polished them and just made everything bigger and better. But you never know, I seen a few vids on the inquisition game, one were they were fighting a dragon, and a giant, the whole party was getting wiped out in one hit kills, and in other vids it was more typical rpg type quests, all in the same area just different parts of the map, so in that respect the open world may be better as it gives you more options on exploring. In all it looks like they found a balance between the first game mechanics and the second game mechancis in this third game that's coming out. But you never know if things will pay off for them till the game comes out.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I've had Origin for quite a long time now. Only files it scans are for itself (it's shell) and game files.

Steam does this too, mainly to add updates to existing games, and I have quite a LOT of games from Steam.

You can go in and change settings so that things do not automatically update (good for not wanting your internet to suddenly become laggy because there's yet another huge update for Team Fortress 2 or something.

One might ask: exactly what would Origin be spying on? Your credit card numbers? Well, if you buy a game from them, they have it.
Mailing address? Well, normally you have to provide the billing address of your credit card, so again....they would have that info to.
Your email addy so you can be spammed? Again: to create an account with them, you have to provide a valid email address (just like joining ATS you had to do that).
Snooping around you computer hardware? Wouldn't surprise me so that they know if their launcher will work on your system or not, or if they need to update it because you changed your hardware (then go crying to them when their launcher doesn't work).

Trying to see what you spend time on the internet searches? Maybe. But then, most internet Search engines so that already. Google certainly does.

Guess it's up to the individual to decide. I've never had any issues: No credit card info stolen, no sudden surge in spamming of my email address. No extra junk mail showing up at my door, etc, etc.

I also do not leave the shells or launchers running if I'm not playing any of their games (waste of CPU resources if you do).

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Dragon Age origins is the first part right? By far my favorite RPG in xbox 360 (skyrim a distant second). The second part was ok I guess but lost much of the magic of the first.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

From what I understand from my friends, the difference between what Steam does and Origin did was that Steam limits its search via the Steam folder (and any associated game folder for save info). Although it's notable that the recent advent of the Steam music player actually allows a full computer scan to look for mp3's but that requires an opt-in. Origin was not confining itself to a single folder and/or associated folders but was scanning all sorts of folders that were not pertinent to its products' use. That's the fundamental difference between Origin and Steam. My super tech guru buds will not use Origin but they'll still use Steam.

What can be obtained from a fuller file scan is beyond the stuff that you already agreed to given them (name, credit card info, and address). This is where their EULA becomes very pertinent and where one of my own personal fortes comes in.

EA collects non-personal information along with personal information when you actively provide it in the context of various online and mobile activities including online and mobile purchases, game registration and marketing surveys, for instance. In addition, we and other third parties use cookies and other technologies to passively collect non-personal demographic information, personalize your experience on our sites and monitor advertisements and other activities as described below. We may also derive from the information collected other facts, such as determining the applicable tax rate based on your IP address.

This part of the EULA is basically telling the user that what the user actively provides through registrations and surveys will be utilized. It also says that it will passively collect information that is purportedly 'non-personal' to "personalize" your experience on their associated sites (how non-personal = personalized experience should raise an eyebrow). This is called marketing automation and that is what the "other third parties" are. The companies charged with making a neat little marketing profile just for you!

By playing an EA game through a social network or other third party platform or service or by connecting to such a third party network, platform or service via one of our products and/or services, you are authorizing EA to collect, store, and use in accordance with this Privacy Policy any and all information that you agreed the social network or other third party platform could provide to EA through the social network/third party platform Application Programming Interface (API) based on your settings on the third party social network or platform. Your agreement takes place when you connect with the third party network, platform or service via our products and/or services, and/or when you connect with, “accept” or “allow” (or similar terms) one of our applications through a social network, or other third party platform or service.

This basically means that anything you do or say can be used against you though typically, again, for the purpose of marketing automation. The agreement for this is by simply connecting to that particular network or, if applicable, by "allowing" it. Steam's EULA actually has something rather similar and that raised a privacy outrage a couple years back. There was no way to "opt-out" and still play your games on Steam.

EA may also collect or receive information about you from other EA users who choose to upload their email and other contacts. This information will be stored by us and used primarily to help you and your friends connect.

This is basically "association building" and it should freak people out a little. When one makes a friend in a game, all they know really is that the person seemed cool and they share the same enjoyment of *insert game name here*. That's how the majority of my friends on Steam came about. Where this kind of thing poses a problem (and this applies to both Steam and Origin) is one doesn't always know what one's friends do in their spare time and those outside interests may actually put a flag on you. For me, I have friends that utilized TOR, accessed the Darknet, and/or turned out to be hackers (Anon/LuLzSEC). Hi NSA! Sure it helps make for connections but it also does provide known associations which can be very much used, especially in a game, to build a network of associates for an individual whose of interest to the state.

The advertising companies who deliver ads for us may combine the information collected or obtained from EA with other information they have independently collected from other websites and/or other online or mobile products and services relating to your web browser’s activities across their network of websites. Many of these companies collect and use information under their own privacy policies.

This, again, is marketing automation and it's basically saying that EA works with these other guys of whom they are not going to name and are providing those "unnamed others" information that is garnered from their network. Those same "unnamed others" all have their own privacy policies of which may not be similar to EA's and they'll combine it with other stuff they already have on you. Joy and very typical for this day and age.

Again though, the difference was confinement. Steam is confined to Steam and Steam games (unless you opt-in on the music player). Origin was stepping outside of its bounds. Not kidding that I know tech gurus in Silicon Valley. This is why they'll have Steam and not Origin.

Source of EULA quotes: www.lazygamer.net...
edit on 9/10/14 by WhiteAlice because: added source

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Glad you put this information out there for people who do not real EULA's.

Again, personally, I've never had a problem with them. The only games that I play with friends are ones through Steam.

The only "hacker" friends I have are those that will dress deer and wild boar meat.

It comes down to this: if you want to play a new game published by them that is not on the shelf, but has to be downloaded, you either agree to the EULA, or you don't (and of course don't get to play the game.....legally that is).

In this day and age, if you're hooked up to the internet, most likely doesn't mater whether you're using a game shell or not anymore: you got stuff on your hard drive that's going to land you in jail, most likely they'll know about it one way or another as time goes on.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Good to know,
thank you.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1   >>

join