It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does this make any friggin sense?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I don't think I have ever been more pissed off in my life. Or at least that I can remember.

I work for this mom and pop game shop. I love my job. I want to see this store succeed. I don't want to see it get shut down like many other mom and pop shops in the area.

Most weeks my schedule is Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. And now my schedule has been cut six hours. Which means that after taxes, I'm taking a 50 dollar cut on my already tiny paycheck. My 32 hours has now dropped to 26 hours, because I'm losing Saturday and Sunday, though, I'm gaining Saturdays hours by picking up Friday. My schedule has been changed because there is a new 'project' that my boss and his wife are working on, and now his wife needs to work Saturday and Sunday.

I normally would have no problem with this. I'm pissed because this is a new store. In November, the store will have been here for a year. We are making enough most days to just pay the bills in the store. On days that I work, we make a couple hundred dollars more than what's being made on days that I'm not here. I keep the store looking presentable (This place was VERY messy when I started here), and I go out of my way to really help people. Recently, on my day off, I took a few hours to brainstorm ways to bring people into the store, especially with the holidays coming up. I emailed the list of things to my boss, who never responded. I was already feeling under appreciated, and now it's worse, because I'm now making less here than when I started, despite the fact that I do the most work here.

I feel like # about the whole thing, and I voiced this to my boss, and he said he'd make it up to me, but how the heck do you make up the fact that someone is losing 50 dollars on an already measly paycheck?

I don't understand how someone could justify effing over one of the best people they've got. I just don't friggin get it.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

Merit of skill is measured in both value and portability.

In other words, make looking for other opportunities, a permanent feature. Recognize and adapt to what the availing opportunities need.

When you really need or want a new opportunity, you'll be ready. True value is portable.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I have definitely been in the same position before, man. I know how it is, all too well.

My wife is going through the exact same thing with her work. She has been there longer than anyone else, has never had a raise (ever, in 6 years), and is, according to all of the customers as well as the store she works at (she's in loss prevention, working in a place that her employer is contracted to), the best person they have. Their average turnover time is 6 weeks. She's been there 6 years.

Yet, they recently cut her down 2 days to 3 days a week, have done everything in their power to get her to quit, and keep hiring people in that are so abjectly worthless that they may as well have put a few of those air-blown-waggly-arm-guys in their place.

It's ridiculous how some employers think things work. They don't realize that the blood of their business is their employees. Without good ones, they WILL lose. Sounds like you are one of the good ones. Don't waste time worrying about helping them out anymore. It's obvious they "know what's best."
edit on 8-10-2014 by Jomina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Time to move on. You state that the shop makes more profit on the days that you work, because you keep the store more presentable and you have some good ideas on attracting new customers.

In my opinion you have two options. Go sell yourself and your ideas to another entrepreneur, or become an entrepreneur yourself and take the leap into opening your own store.

If you take the first option, sure you may increase your prospects to an extent where you are working 40 hours per week and being recompensed at the going rate for this.

If you decide to take the second option you will probably put in at least three times the hours you currently work for less return than you are currently receiving. There will be blood, sweat and tears, sleepless nights even. Yet, you seem to have a knack of increasing income, use this to make yourself rich and not somebody who is probably going to use your suggestions the moment you leave or worse still whilst you remain working for them.

Good luck with whatever you chose in life.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Time to move on. You state that the shop makes more profit on the days that you work, because you keep the store more presentable and you have some good ideas on attracting new customers.

In my opinion you have two options. Go sell yourself and your ideas to another entrepreneur, or become an entrepreneur yourself and take the leap into opening your own store.

If you take the first option, sure you may increase your prospects to an extent where you are working 40 hours per week and being recompensed at the going rate for this.

If you decide to take the second option you will probably put in at least three times the hours you currently work for less return than you are currently receiving. There will be blood, sweat and tears, sleepless nights even. Yet, you seem to have a knack of increasing income, use this to make yourself rich and not somebody who is probably going to use your suggestions the moment you leave or worse still whilst you remain working for them.

and hide a rotten fish somwhere

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I've never seen retail entrepreneurships work. The issue was always the rent also included a % of profits that larger companies easily asorb. The one I was most sad to see go was forced to close because the strip mall required no theft devices and the store was basically robbed out of business.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Heh. Thanks guys. Knowing that other people understand why I'm aggravated helps. And thanks for the advice. That helps, too. I'm most likely going to be looking into something else, at the least as a second job. This whole thing just has me feeling really lost and confused. Confused because I just can't wrap my head around this whole thing. And lost because it really bothers me that someone can put everything into a job and have their bosses screw them over. I'm lost because it seems like no matter what I do in this world it is not enough. I'm extremely tired of feeling like everything I do is not enough.
edit on 8-10-2014 by Lyxdeslic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
They're not screwing you over, they're trying to survive themselves and not doing all that good a job at it.

By the time they pay rent and buy products to sell, they're probably not even making anything extra. An employee is overhead and if they can staff it themselves, that's what they'll have to do.

Doesn't matter if you're the world's best employee, if they can't afford you, they can't afford you. Beware that whatever they're paying you, you can almost double that for their state and federal costs to employ you. So you have the strange math happen where employee 'A' is being paid, say, $8.50 an hour, taking home the equivalent of $6.50 an hour, and yet costing the employer $18.00 an hour... only the government is winning here, and then only in the short run.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Minimum amount of pay = minimum amount of work

it goes both ways in life with people like that tough love is all they understand , take it real real easy as you look for a new job and try not to slip or fall
at your work making you sue them for loss of pay

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic
I don't think I have ever been more pissed off in my life. Or at least that I can remember.

I work for this mom and pop game shop. I love my job. I want to see this store succeed. I don't want to see it get shut down like many other mom and pop shops in the area.

Most weeks my schedule is Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. And now my schedule has been cut six hours. Which means that after taxes, I'm taking a 50 dollar cut on my already tiny paycheck. My 32 hours has now dropped to 26 hours, because I'm losing Saturday and Sunday, though, I'm gaining Saturdays hours by picking up Friday. My schedule has been changed because there is a new 'project' that my boss and his wife are working on, and now his wife needs to work Saturday and Sunday.

I normally would have no problem with this. I'm pissed because this is a new store. In November, the store will have been here for a year. We are making enough most days to just pay the bills in the store. On days that I work, we make a couple hundred dollars more than what's being made on days that I'm not here. I keep the store looking presentable (This place was VERY messy when I started here), and I go out of my way to really help people. Recently, on my day off, I took a few hours to brainstorm ways to bring people into the store, especially with the holidays coming up. I emailed the list of things to my boss, who never responded. I was already feeling under appreciated, and now it's worse, because I'm now making less here than when I started, despite the fact that I do the most work here.

I feel like # about the whole thing, and I voiced this to my boss, and he said he'd make it up to me, but how the heck do you make up the fact that someone is losing 50 dollars on an already measly paycheck?

I don't understand how someone could justify effing over one of the best people they've got. I just don't friggin get it.

I feel nothing but compassionate about your situation, truly. However, as a business owner myself sometimes you have to make cut backs to make sure you have a business to run and paycheck to write. Besides, it sounds like the owners wife can fill a space that normally they would pay you for. They both (owners) will work for free.

I understand that sales are up on the days you work and maybe after a month or so, your boss will realize it's better to keep you employed on those critical days. Or maybe, the store will fail. I don't know the situation, but maybe you being understanding may help in lowering the amount of stress that not only you feel, but the owners feel as well. Maybe, you could come with ideas or gimmicks that may increase sales on the days you are there. Flyers, ads or maybe some great trade in deals on a certain day of the week...such as what Game Stop does everyday. Make yourself even more valuable than you are now...help sales go up even more. It's just a thought.

I hope it all works out for you nonetheless

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
They're not screwing you over, they're trying to survive themselves and not doing all that good a job at it.

By the time they pay rent and buy products to sell, they're probably not even making anything extra. An employee is overhead and if they can staff it themselves, that's what they'll have to do.

Doesn't matter if you're the world's best employee, if they can't afford you, they can't afford you. Beware that whatever they're paying you, you can almost double that for their state and federal costs to employ you. So you have the strange math happen where employee 'A' is being paid, say, $8.50 an hour, taking home the equivalent of $6.50 an hour, and yet costing the employer $18.00 an hour... only the government is winning here, and then only in the short run.

Friend, you hit the nail right on the head

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic
Heh. Thanks guys. Knowing that other people understand why I'm aggravated helps. And thanks for the advice. That helps, too. I'm most likely going to be looking into something else, at the least as a second job. This whole thing just has me feeling really lost and confused. Confused because I just can't wrap my head around this whole thing. And lost because it really bothers me that someone can put everything into a job and have their bosses screw them over. I'm lost because it seems like no matter what I do in this world it is not enough. I'm extremely tired of feeling like everything I do is not enough.

It's perfectly normal to feel the way you do. From the sound of it, you probably like your job. It's ok, we have all felt undervalued at some time in our lives.

I left corporate America in 1997 and never looked back. I was double crossed and given a raise. Nothing to cry about right? I built the department for a certain collection agency here in Los Angeles County that got the contract to collect child support for LA County. After I completed my project (3 months early), I was asked to train my new boss! I couldn't believe it. I was promised a certain position and didn't get it. I did get a generous raise though, very generous. Things are not always what they seem. I literally told them to take this job and shove it! It was the third greatest decision I have ever made in my life thus far.

You may think that your bosses have it easy when in reality, they're probably struggling just like a previous poster said. It's a hard reality to face and it hurts. Get your self more educated and get out there!!! Start your own business. You can do it. This country needs more passionate entrepreneurs. People who understand what it means to work hard and have a vision or two.

Just know that your bosses probably very much appreciate everything you do, but when it comes down to it, they have to look out for themselves and their family. I'm certain you understand that.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: haven123

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

and hide a rotten fish somwhere

That could be an immediate reaction.

Personally, I'd play them at their own game, set up shop next to them and see them go down.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Maybe (and this is the optimist in me for this part) his "I'll make it up to you'' could mean they are looking into ways to make MORE money into the store and don't want to get anyone's hopes up just in case (wise thing to do) so for now they have to do what they're doing to work on the whatever it is.

And the not so optimist side and I hate saying this because I'm stupid optimistic about everything........ maybe your email to help was seen as being bossy or trying to control the show and they took offense so cut your hours? I hope not. I think and will stay to my hope that it's reason number one above

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
honestly, they dont care about you. They only care about money. Youre doing extremely well by doing the right things and stuff..........but unfortunately, in this world, in this reality, you have to push people out of the way, and yell, and screama nd be agressive to show that you are the boss and you wont take no for an answer. Niceness doesnt cut it anymore. Never will, especially when youre not the boss.

go to school. Get an education. quit working there!

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
See, the problem is this: Instead of lessening the owners take-home pay, they lessen the workers---all so they can lead their little lavish lifestyle. It's called greed. Let that dump go under and find a better job.

top topics

join