It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haunted Tourist Spots In The World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Looking for a haunted tourist spot to visit this October??
See if anything here tickles your fancy for a visit.
Feel free to add more to the list.

9 Haunted Tourist Spots

According to the article, these are the nine most haunted tourist spots in the world. I can think of others that are probably more haunted, but it looks like they made a very dark listing and not just a haunted places type list. These have dark elements ...

1. The Beechworth Lunatic Asylum, Beechworth, Australia
2. The Bhangarh Fort, Bhangarh, India
3. Hell Fire Club on Montpelier Hill, Dublin, Ireland
4. Chateau de Chateaubriant, Chateaubriant, France
5. The Island of the Dolls, Mexico City, Mexico
6. Hunedoara Castle, Transylvania, Romania
7. Stull Cemetery, Stull, Kansas
8. Philadelphia State Hospital at Byberry, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9. The Mines of Paris, Paris, France

I would have put Greyfriars Graveyard in Edinburgh (Mackenzie Poltergeist) in that list to make it an even 10 haunted tourist places with an evil twist. The tomb of MARIE LAVEAU in New Orleans should be on any list of top haunted tourist places that have an evil twist to them.

I would have put Gettysburg PA as the #1 haunted tourist spot overall. But it doesn't have an evil element. It's more historical. Also on my own most haunted tourist spots I would have listed the Pyramids of Egypt. The Great Pyramid is especially known to be haunted. The Winchester House in San Jose California is supposed to be haunted but I think that's more of a story for tourists. Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London have a lot of activity. I"ve been told that the Coliseum, Rome, Italy has activity even in the daytime. Oh, and we did a walk through the Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia. One list thing ... the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney World in Florida is haunted. I had a chat with the workers there about it. They confirmed it.

For more haunted tourist spots - not very specific but some general places Top Haunted Places Around The World

21 Haunted Tourist Spots

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm surprised Tombstone, AZ isn't on the list. Haunted Tombstone Sure, it's a touristy spot now, but you have the OK Corral, the Birdcage Theater, and the Buford House. That's not mentioning the ghosts that just walk the streets.

Anyone wanting to go should also stop by Bisbee, just a few miles up the road, home to the Copper Queen hotel.

Used to live in the area, and the places are gorgeous in their own right.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The Winchester House in San Jose California is supposed to be haunted but I think that's more of a story for tourists.

Considering the old bat that lived there spent millions of dollars (long ago when millions were worth a lot more) building stairs that went nowhere, odd rooms, and other weird stuff into the house to ward off the ghosts she believed were haunting her killed by the guns of the namesake, I think its more than a tourist trap...

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Grew up close enough to Stull. That's just Kansans coming up with stories. It's not a "gateway to Hell". I'll use the term devil enthusiasts (since hedonists think that Satanism is reserved for them now, thanks Anton :p) drive through and do drunken/high stupid teenagers stuff. It's all Ouija board nonsense, the friend of a friend had evil spelled out and DIED, type thing. Nothing spooky, but Kansas is creepy enough.

There are too many haunted places in Pennsylvania! Sat down to a marathon of "A Haunting" and I swear three out of four episodes were from PA.

I'd like to get up to Spring City and do the Pennhurst haunted house. Voted #1 in the country for spooky entertainment by the biz itself. $45 a ticket, though

Eta: I know this is about real haunted locales, but the Pennhurst experience does give you an opportunity to tour one of the most haunted buildings with a flashlight. If there are restless spirits there, they are gonna be pissed at all of the rowdies trying to scare each other.
edit on 8-10-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas : "The Haunted Ozarks"

During the 1920's, several notorious gangsters would flock to the town in order to hide from the law and rejuvenate in the healing waters. This little watering hole had it's share of rowdy experiences and murders during that time....and energy still lingers in dense pockets throughout the region.

Outside of the Haunted Tour that is offered in Historic Downtown ( 90 minutes on foot and rich in local lore) - there is a little place on the main strip called Maxine's - (a former brothel, now a laid back music venue) - and it has a few "unseen" surprises for those in the know.

In the stage room - there is a curtained room up a small flight of stairs with a low ceiling and soft chairs where "the Madame" and assorted unseen guests intermingle with the living from time to time.

I'd recommend showing up early before the nightlife hits on a weekday in order to really get a feel for the place...once the music starts, it's practically impossible to get any downtime with the Spirit World.

Be warned - the Madame (should she feel like interacting) is a formidable woman and doesn't take guff. Please also be polite and respectful to the staff....it's recommended asking if the room is open for seating before entering - if you want an after hours experience you might have to reserve a special appointment and cough up a bit of cash to compensate the employees for the extra time....and if you don't partake of their wonderful selection of beverages, at least tip for the time spent.

*BYOOB - (Bring Your Own Ouija Board)

edit on 10/8/14 by GENERAL EYES because: minor edit for your aesthetic enjoyment

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Yea! A delicious thread of places I know little or nothing about to keep me occupied with research this evening. Missed your threads, FF. Like them or love them they've always been there to pique our interest.

There's supposedly a haunted house around the corner from me where the lights are left on at all times. It's owned by the town and no in in the town hall is talking. People talk about it in hushed tones, so I'll simply have to look into it more. Apparently things move around on their own. Wooo, eh? Maybe I'll make it my special project this fall.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

How about something on this side of the world?

Niagara has been the location of a war, and many tragic deaths over the years...

Its actually considered one of the most haunted places in north America...

theres Fort George...

Several old Inn's down in "Niagara on the lake"... most of which have many stories about hauntings...

Screaming Tunnel..

The Blue Ghost Tunnel

Heh... theres so many haunted places in Niagara, you'll never run out of places to see...

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
www.copperqueen.com...

Supposedly haunted. My sister and I slept like babies, but we're both a little spooky, so . . .

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Built in 1883 from hard oak and teak wood salvaged from a beached naval warship, the Derby House originally functioned as a small hotel across from the train stop in Encinitas, California.

As the years passed it went from being a hotel, to a brothel, to a boarding house, and finally a private home. It has a consistent history of haunted activity.

Many years ago, I was fortunate enough to have rented a room at the Derby House, at which point it was a run down boarding house. The room was in the basement, next to another partitioned room and a common bathroom.

I remember one cold winter night during the holidays, having recently lost my job, with no money saved, my truck had a blown engine, and my girlfriend had just moved away to Colorado. There I was trying to enjoy the holidays alone in my room, feeling kind of sad about life.

Abruptly the basement came alive with the sounds of a party, people chatting, laughing, glasses clinking. I suddenly felt wrapped in a warm blanket, but there was no blanket.

I instantly realized that I was being given a brief glimpse into the world of spirits. I like to think that they had invited me to their party, with the warm cloak a sign that they wanted me to feel comfortable and protected that night.

I've lived a life filled with paranormal experiences. To perceive the spirit world, it seems one must first have faith that it's authentic, and then simply open the mind to the fact that spirits will attempt to communicate with you, albeit in the most subtle and unusual ways imaginable.

Sketch of the Derby House.

edit on 8-10-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

top topics

join