It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Road-raging off-duty Detroit cop arrested for brandishing Glock at family in minivan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Detroit police officer was arrested this week after a family said that he pointed a gun at them during a “road rage” incident.

A Beverly Hills couple had contacted 911 on Friday at around 7 p.m. after someone cut off their minivan, and then began driving erratically. At some point, the man allegedly rolled down his window and brandished a firearm at them.

On Monday, Birmingham police Cmdr. Terry Kiernan said that his department had asked the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office for a warrant to arrest the 43-year-old Detroit officer.

“We’re told the officer rolled his window down and pointed the gun in their direction,” Kiernan explained. “Whether he was pointing the gun directly at them is something that still has to be determined.”

://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/road-raging-off-duty-detroit-cop-arrested-for-brandishing-glock-at-family-in-minivan/

According to state records obtained by WXYZ, the officer was forced to undergo driver improvement examination earlier this year because he was deemed “unable to operate vehicle safely.”

A source told WXYZ that the officer would be assigned to desk duty while he was being investigated.

Watch the video below from WXYZ, broadcast Oct. 6, 2014.

Is there any doubt that we have two separate but unequal set of laws for LEOs and one for the taxpayers?

"unable to operate a vehicle safely" does that mean drunk?
"assigned to desk duty"

What do you think would happen to an ordinary citizen if they were brandishing a weapon, drunk, threatening a family?

Desk duty? No you would be held in lockup, sentenced infront of a judge with in 3 days and sent to jail for 90 days and with aggravated weapon charges; more likely a Year in jail and a fine.
edit on 8-10-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Maybe we shouldnt rely on a tyrannical system. Maybe WE THE PEOPLE should forcefully implement a new system or a series of reforms. We shouldnt think some else would arrest this monster. WE have to arrest these monsters other wise they keep making the system impossible to convict them because THEY made the system, FOR THEIR GAINS
edit on 8-10-2014 by MGaddafi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

All he has to say is he felt threatened by someone in the minivan.
Common decency, benefit of the doubt, honesty, prudence --all optional behind the thin blue line.

It must stop soon or things will get ugly for this collection of haters, betrayers, liars and thieves.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
From the posted article:

The suspect identified himself as an officer when he was later stopped by Royal Oak police, and then was turned over to Birmingham police. A .40 caliber Glock pistol was recovered from his vehicle.

The officer’s name was being withheld until the prosecutor announced formal charges.

Sounds like the DA is deciding on charges for him. If so, I would say they are handling this incident correctly.
But like all developing stories we have to wait-and-see.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

According to state records obtained by WXYZ, the officer was forced to undergo driver improvement examination earlier this year because he was deemed “unable to operate vehicle safely.”

A source told WXYZ that the officer would be assigned to desk duty while he was being investigated.

What do you think would happen to an ordinary citizen if they were brandishing a weapon, drunk, threatening a family?

Desk duty? No you would be held in lockup, sentenced infront of a judge with in 3 days and sent to jail for 90 days and with aggravated weapon charges; more likely a Year in jail and a fine.

I think you missed a little something here. It said he was deemed unable to operate a vehicle safely and placed on desk duty earlier in the year.
No where does it say he was drunk while threatening the family with a gun.

It says he was arrested much like any normal citizen. Now once into the system it is hard to say he won't be treated differently but hell Hollywood celebrities seem to have their own jail and set of rules too.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I have no problem with LEos enforcing the laws of the land.

I do have a problem with preferential treatment is handed out to the police for crimes that would land the ordinary taxpayer in jail. There is a double standard and you damn well know it.

Bringing in a straw man argument with celebrities dosen't mean a whole lot now does it?

Perhaps a refresher look at this thread might be in order....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 8-10-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Is there any doubt that we have two separate but unequal set of laws for LEOs and one for the taxpayers?

Nope, that about sums it up. We see it happening all the time. Not only to police but celebrities and the elite as well.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Oh come on, folks, there's no issue here.

It's just the setting of the new Beverly Hills Cop movie. You know, the one where a Detroit officer goes to Beverly Hills and causes all kinds of havoc?

Seriously, though, I am glad that the guy was arrested, but what will come of it?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

It says he was arrested much like any normal citizen. Now once into the system it is hard to say he won't be treated differently but hell Hollywood celebrities seem to have their own jail and set of rules too.

Im sorry but when was the last time a Hollywood celebrity bashed down someones door and shot up their family? Yet, you can find articles for the other group in discussion.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

A Beverly Hills couple in Detroit? They must've been visiting one of Detroit's finest, Axel Foley... What are the chances?

Maybe filming 'Beverly Hills Cop VI- Axel goes Postal'

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

In early June, the 13-year police veteran was referred for a driver improvement examination. And after the reexamination took place on July 29, 2014, the man was deemed "unable to operate vehicle safely," according to state records.

A spokesperson for the Secretary of State says it's unclear what prompted the reexamination, but records indicate that the man was counseled about "the need to drive safely and how to avoid possible future sanctions."

How can an officer, who cannot drive safely, drive a car on patrol? How long did that go on before reexamination occurred. It had to be bad a long time before this would happen with an officer, I would think. Did he ever display the ability to drive safely since it looks as though he failed the improvement.

He is also allowed to drive his private vehicle.

This is crazy.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Jomina

Yikes!! I was typing the same thing... If I had a headset I would've won..

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
cops are just going nuts....must be something cosmic, maybe they can't take the increase in frequency or something?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

That is what I was thinking w/the 'frequency' (pun intended) of these reports. They aren't able to 'vibe' and they are so entwined with Mr. Yang, they don't know whether to crap or wind their watch, one of those cool waterproof ones w/the green hands. I lost 2 of them w/crappy plastic bands wrasslin with drunks.

I thought ALL the 'patriarchal malarkey' would get sucked away One at a time, starting with the military™ followed closely by Mr. Religion™ and then We all get to watch Mr. Politics™ circle the drain, but ALL at the same time?

I'd opine that if "a concerned citizen" really wanted to catch the cops w/their pants down, then a crappy video would be like #3 on the list. A "good video" on the other hand would be "gold" but instead of some forethought, these folks get what could be 'good evidence' and then they 'sully it' by rushing to get notoriety for being the new Zapruda...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I have no problem with LEos enforcing the laws of the land.

I do have a problem with preferential treatment is handed out to the police for crimes that would land the ordinary taxpayer in jail. There is a double standard and you damn well know it.

Bringing in a straw man argument with celebrities dosen't mean a whole lot now does it?

Perhaps a refresher look at this thread might be in order....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

you missed my point entirely...
you said

I just said it never said he was drunk at the time.

and then

was hardly a straw man argument. more just an off the cuff remark.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I would say it is more like three or four.

1. Cops and politicians.
2. Rich people (like the couple from the OP....Beverly Hills)
3. Middle class white Christians.
4. Anyone deemed "unworthy".

Depends on who you are.

Don't forget being labeled a felon and losing your voting rights.

join